Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Welcome to the East Bay Meet Up Death Valley Trip!
Because this trip is a high dirt mileage trip and we will have 15 rigs these basic requirements are REQUIRED. If you arrive missing one of these requirements we encourage you to go have a great solo trip but it will put the larger group at risk traveling with us. Prepare-Outfit-Explore

REQUIREMENTS!
  1. Offline navigation- many areas do not have phone service so you need an offline map solution, the attached GPX works great in Gaia. Pay for the app if you don’t have it, it could save your life. Paper maps always work as well.
  2. HAM radio- even if you don’t have a license you can listen in legally, there are a number of handheld radios that are satisfactory on Amazon available from $35-$200. Baofeng to Yaesu
  3. Extra fuel- prepare to bring 80-100 miles worth of extra fuel
  4. Amber Chase Lights- this is absolutely critical as our group will kick up a lot of dust and the wavelength of amber goes the furthest through dust clouds. Please mount them higher up on the rear of your vehicle and they can be battery operated, plug-in to a cigarette lighter, or hardwired to a switch on your vehicle. KC HiLites makes round amber cyclones that are reasonably priced and can be placed almost anywhere with a single bolt. You must have rear amber lights to join this trip to help keep others from rear-ending you on the trail.
  5. Off road tires, no stock side steps, prepared for dispersed camping including pooper/water/food/full size spare/tools/sleeping preparations

While this trip is technically 3 nights and 4 full days you will likely want to camp Wednesday night at Trona Pinnacles (coordinates 35.61688, -117.37214) as the trip starts November 4th at 9am from Trona Pinnacles.

Trona campsites are free and mostly wide open spaces so look for the largest group you see. We will meet up at 9am and head out by 9:30am after our driver’s meeting.

Day 1
9:30am departure
Trona Pinnacles to Warm Spring Camp- 50 dirt miles
We will pass over the Panamint Mountain Range and see:
Goler Wash
Barker Ranch- Charles Manson hide out and arrest location
Mengel Pass
Geologist Cabin
Warm Spring Camp
Shorter drive day but with sites to see and technical sections of Mengel pass we will still need to keep a decent pace. Warm Spring Camp is a great place to explore with the springs running down, abandoned houses, an empty swimming pool, and talc mine if the gate is open.

Day 2
8am departure-
Warm Spring Camp to Sand Hill Peak- 80 miles highway and dirt
Tourist Day- Badwater Basin, Devil’s Golf Course, Artist’s Drive
Furnace Creek Fuel Up if needed
Echo Canyon
Sand Hill Peak general area to camp, TBD

Day 3
8am departure
Sand Hill Peak to Ubehebe Talc Mine- 140 miles highway and dirt
Fuel up at Beatty CA
Titus Canyon
Ubehebe Crater- probably lunch here
Ubehebe Crater to Teakettle Junction then to Race Track, there are lots of washboard roads that we need to keep a good pace over, make sure your bolts and nuts are tightened ahead of time on racks and external gear
After Race Track back up to Teakettle and over to Ubehebe Talc Mine

Day 4
9:30am departure- 40 miles of dirt
Ubehebe Talc Mine to Father Crowley Point (Jets)
Hunter Mountain pass down to 190E to see if we catch the jets
Head home

84C26299-DD9A-4608-95CA-6DEE2B0A0223.jpeg
Map to download

GPX viewer

Attachments

Reactions: Fireskyte

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Due to the way that the rally point RSVP function works I can’t really add anyone to a waitlist. Best thing to do is keep your eye on the RSVP list if there are spots open. If anyone needs to cancel their spot please let us know on the forum so someone can jump on

Last edited:
Reactions: redquatquat

redquatquat

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Emmanuel
Last Name
B
Member #

Due to the way that the rally point RSP function works I can’t really add anyone to a waitlist. Best thing to do is keep your eye on the RSVP list if there are spots open. If anyone needs to cancel their spot please let us know on the forum so someone can jump on
Waitlist, a feature request to send to @Michael this Sunday !

Jane and Sergio

Rank V

Influencer II

Castro Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Sergio
Last Name
Morariu
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6KOP
Service Branch
Navy
Hey guys, my buddy Jeff hates cooking, and I love to cook and hate doing dishes, so I bet you can see where is this going. I think I have room for 4-5 more people for dinner every night if you are interested. I'll try to keep it between $20-30. Let me know if you're interested? Vegans / vegetarians need not apply.

iu.jpeg

Reactions: RAMf1

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
I’ve had questions about the tougher sections of the trail. Mengel Pass has a rock garden that we will need to get through and the waterfall climb on Echo Canyon. @DocTaco has posted a video showing a couple vehicles going up. Remember the camera does no justice to the climb and in the driver’s seat expect a great view of the sky

@Narbob
@Kent R

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
For those interested in going to Death Valley November 4-7th 2021, we are going to be opening a second trip that will go at the same time but on a different route through the park. That way we can accommodate more rigs and get more people adventuring!

Stay tuned!