Death Valley Dec 9-11

• HTML tutorial

RobRed

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Honestly there only about 3 difficult areas in DV out of the dozens and dozens of routes. Roads are in good shape and a stock 4Runner can do them (reference). For a comfortable pace with time to sight see and setup camp before dark I'd target 40 miles a day max.

I just lead a group last weekend (same time as OB group was there) conditions were very good. I shot a dash cam of Lippincott which I will post up this weekend - it's not big deal.

Reactions: lvivier and Narbob

rmerron

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Scottsboro, Alabama, USA
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Peters
Member #

Wish we could make it. Wife has shoulder surgery on the 1st and we live in Alabama, but we are planning on going sometime in Jan and tour around Cali/ Az/ Co etc for a few months. If you have another run during that time frame let us know. We have never been there or to any of the great locations in the South West. Ralph

Reactions: Narbob

theick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Las Vegas
Member #

2 weeks away and counting down. I updated the 1st post with the tentatively committed. Please let me know if I missed anyone or if there are other changes.

Still looking for ideas about a route. I'm still planning to be there Friday afternoon and hopefully be on the road out by early afternoon on Sunday. Hopefully the weather holds out. If it stays like the it should be perfect.

Reactions: Narbob

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
I've been following and interested in going. However, I don't know if I'll get a pass from wife since I was just there a couple weeks ago with an OB group, including @Reconnoiter. For a short trip you may want to check our Alabama Hills/ Death Valley post in trip planning. Of course you can tailor it to your liking.

Reactions: lvivier and Kelly

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
I don't we'll be able to make this one, but we were there in the spring. For reference on Titus Canyon, Lippencott and Steele pass you can check out or video series on YouTube.

Lippencott is accessible to any stock vehicle. I think even the biggest full size trucks will have no problem unless there's a significant change to what we saw in March. Steele pass is another matter, the Dedeckera canyon steps could pose a challenge to longer wheelbase trucks.

-M

theick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Las Vegas
Member #

Thank you for the input from those who have been there recently.

Based on my instagram feed it appear the entire offroad community is in Death Valley this month. We may run into some traffic jams in Titus Canyon.

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
Thank you for the input from those who have been there recently.

Based on my instagram feed it appear the entire offroad community is in Death Valley this month. We may run into some traffic jams in Titus Canyon.
It's popular in winter for obvious reasons. Titus is one way so traffic shouldn't be much of a problem. Definitely stop in the narrows and climb around. It's really cool.

-M

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

I'd like to do a trip to Death Valley between thanksgiving and Christmas. Mostly to hit all the normal attractions like Racetrack, Titus Canyon etc. I wanted to see if there are a few other people interested to make it a group run. I'm pretty flexible about the route and would probably depend on the direction that people are coming from.

Tentatively commited as of 11/26/16
@theick +1 other truck
@Kingazjay
@Reconnoiter
@Comanche
@Max Hultman
@lvivier
@Gunnermoose
Sorry, but I have to back out of this due to work. I would not be able to leave the Phoenix area until around 6pm on Friday.

theick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Las Vegas
Member #

It's popular in winter for obvious reasons. Titus is one way so traffic shouldn't be much of a problem. Definitely stop in the narrows and climb around. It's really cool.

-M
Yeah the weather is supposed to be mid 60's at Furnace Creek. Probably going to be a little cold at Racetrack.

Thanks for the videos. I've seem most of them before and again for research.

Reactions: Wolfy

theick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Las Vegas
Member #

I'm still planning to go. I should be to Warm Springs Camp Friday night by 5-6pm.

I don't normally do campgrounds but I sure do like to have a campfire. Depending on the temps we might consider staying Saturday night at Mesquite Spring campground. It will be a little warmer than Racetrack and we can have a big raging fire.