First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
Hi ya'all

Was thinking of doing a 3-4 day camping trip out to Death Valley in the hopes of seeing the super bloom. ( eg. if there is a super bloom this year )

Time Frame -
End of Feb - First weeks of March

Any recommendations on :

How to find information if it could be a superbloom year?
Good viewing locations?

Things I know :
I know the park still has road restrictions
There are a few web sites about the Super Bloom but happy to have more, if anyone has them

Itinerary : Proposed - Suggestions welcome!
Day 1 - Would like to go into Stripped Butte Valley - I think pass is still closed so may need to get in from the east side if the road is open
Day 2 or 3 - Chloride Cliff area and Titus canyon if open
Day 3 or 4 - Skiddo Area/Stamp Mill or Eureka Dunes ( if the bloom is better there at the Dunes?)

My Rig : Capable 4x4

Thanks Everyone!

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
From the DesertUSA site:
Mid February - Mid April at lower elevations (valley floor and alluvial fans)

* Best Areas: Jubilee Pass, Highway 190 near the Furnace Creek Inn, base of Daylight Pass * Dominant species: desert star, blazing star, desert gold, mimulus, encelia, poppies, verbena, evening primrose, phacelia, and various species of cacti (usually above the valley floor).

Wifey and I are going down the last weekend of February. Not camping per se but staying in a trailer in Tecopa. Taking the truck of course to explore the park.

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

It all depends on what amount of rain fell in what area on what days along with the subsequent average, below average or above average temperatures after the rains. We had some unusually timed large blooms in Anza Borrego just a few weeks ago due to some freak showers in September. You can't really forecast where and how good the blooms will be on your dates this far in advance. You just need to check the reports (DesertUSA is a good source) as you get near to your dates and be flexible in your itinerary. Generally the blooms will first start in the lower elevations and then work their way up to higher elevations later in the spring. You may also want to consider adjacent desert lands such as Joshua Tree, the Mojave Preserve, and Anza Borrego. Those parks could have a much more spectacular bloom landscape than Death Valley on the dates that you will be able to visit.

TCorona

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Corona
Member #

I imagine after years and years of drought... and now with all the massive amounts of rain California is getting this winter, the desert bloom is going to be SUPER awesome.

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
I am about to get science-y on ya!

Based on some grade school graphics I cobbled together it seems to be rainfall totals and temperature. ( plus a lot of other fancy science which I will ponder later over a flagon of beer )
Chances of a bloom are good, if temps get into the 70 range or above and the rain comes. (2023 data below is to current)

rainfall.jpg

temp2.jpg

I compared the superbloom of prior years and added in a baseline non-bloom year (2018/2019). Included is the media reported dates of high flower coverage in the rainfall graphic.

Main thing using 5th grade science is that there needs to be good steady rain to set the stage for the germination to bloom with a combined period of temps near/above 70.
(ie why the bloom in 98 was later in March as the temperatures had dipped )

Yes I am a geek and wear that badge proudly... Need to check to see if OB has one I can unlock!

Will keep this thread updated as we progress this year and I check with a few of the sources others have added !

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder

Based on some grade school graphics I cobbled together it seems to be rainfall totals and temperature. ( plus a lot of other fancy science which I will ponder later over a flagon of beer )
Chances of a bloom are good, if temps get into the 70 range or above and the rain comes. (2023 data below is to current)

View attachment 248537

View attachment 248539

I compared the superbloom of prior years and added in a baseline non-bloom year (2018/2019). Included is the media reported dates of high flower coverage in the rainfall graphic.

Main thing using 5th grade science is that there needs to be good steady rain to set the stage for the germination to bloom with a combined period of temps near/above 70.

Yes I am a geek and wear that badge proudly... Need to check to see if OB has one I can unlock!

Will keep this thread updated as we progress this year and I check with a few of the sources others have added !
Maffs checks out!

daklakfoto

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Orange County
First Name
Huy
Last Name
Tran
Member #

I'll be interested in the bloom.. Photogs at heart so above ave is as good for me. :)

Contributor III

USA
First Name
Russell
Last Name
Beavers

View attachment 248537

View attachment 248539

Thanks, keep us updating. :) In the meantime, I'm researching for the Best Portuguese Translation Services online, and while doing so, I came across this Best Portuguese Translation Services of 2023 website that helps me to find the best website for the Best Portuguese Translation Services and I can check top 5 websites with their reviews which helps me select the best website for me to translate my documents.
Thanks, keep us updating. :)

Last edited:

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Tried to go down this last weekend, but the storm closed the passes, both Tehachapi and the Grapevine, from the Valley to that side of the mountains by the time we got to Bakersfield. Bummer. That said, anyone going later this Spring will probably get a nice treat.

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Hi ya'all

Was thinking of doing a 3-4 day camping trip out to Death Valley in the hopes of seeing the super bloom. ( eg. if there is a super bloom this year )

Time Frame -
End of Feb - First weeks of March

Any recommendations on :

How to find information if it could be a superbloom year?
Good viewing locations?

Things I know :
I know the park still has road restrictions
There are a few web sites about the Super Bloom but happy to have more, if anyone has them

Itinerary : Proposed - Suggestions welcome!
Day 1 - Would like to go into Stripped Butte Valley - I think pass is still closed so may need to get in from the east side if the road is open
Day 2 or 3 - Chloride Cliff area and Titus canyon if open
Day 3 or 4 - Skiddo Area/Stamp Mill or Eureka Dunes ( if the bloom is better there at the Dunes?)

My Rig : Capable 4x4

Thanks Everyone!
did you make it down?

Reactions: Jay Smallen

Jay Smallen

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gardnerville Ranchos, NV, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Smallen
Member #

We were there the 15th thru 19th and the lower valleys are greening up. Sunday we went from homestake primitive and wandered to artist's pallet, then out to Beaty. Sprinkles and showers everywhere we went. Awesome colors. We'd like to get back if there is any kind of a good bloom. New area to us lol so it's a lot of fun.

Attachments

Reactions: Advtres and Speric

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
We made it there last weekend ( April 12-16). While not quite a superbloom the valley and upper canyons are FULL of flowers.

Trip Report :

Echo Canyon, Trail Canyon, Hanaupah Canyon, Johnson Canyon
Best places : Echo Canyon and Johnson Canyon.

Arrived in Death Valley eve of the Weds 12th. Our plan was to head out to Trail Canyon and find a campground but since it was late already we opt'd for the first good dispersed camping area which was Echo Canyon. Left Sunday.

A few notes on Echo Canyon.

The Park map shows it is in the dispersed camping area, and when we arrived on the trail head there was a sign that was knocked over which I cavalierly drove by ( I figured it was a road closed or flooded sign ) when we got into the trail there were markers with camp site #s.
Checking the park map it said there was a voluntary registration and for most of the Primitive campgrounds they are First Come - First Served...
So we figured the next morning we would go down and register.

We did that, though I forgot what the campsite number was and when talking to the ranger he was like oh I think that is site E3. Good enough for us, we paid and went out to explore that day.
When we arrived later that afternoon we realized we had the wrong site # ( we were in E5 )
We figured no big deal as you need to actually be in a site to register it - you know the whole first come - first served...

Later that night 2 trucks drove up, said they had "reserved" the site and we had to vacate. I was like ??? ( our tent was set up and we had already been there a full day and night ) The ranger then came ( that is another story :)) and said we had to leave. And I was like what about dispersed camping and then he said this :

Echo Canyon is not an open dispersed camping area, you must "reserve" your campsite at the park office when you arrive and registration is not optional.
The current park mark does not show this and the sign may or may not be there. So in essence you can go to the park office when you arrive, tell them you want E8 and go up to it, and if someone is already parked there without a permit.... you see where that is going...
IMG_5413.jpeg

Echo Canyon

Echo Canyon itself is AWESOME! - I highly recommend camping here, though most of the camp sites are 2 rigs maybe 3. Any site E5, E6... puts you in the canyon which is beautiful. E1-E4 put you looking down into Death Valley, E3 is not a great campsite - a few beers and an open night sky and well it was epic - LOL!.
Echo.jpg

Echo Canyon has some good dirt tracks and the Inyo Mine is awesome - Take a flashlight with you when you hike the hill, the mine goes back a way!
There are lots of wildflowers and things to explore.
Right as you enter the canyon there is one petroglyph on the left side, we found it by accident, and it was very cool.
I would recommend spending at least 2 days exploring this area, there is lots to see and some good trails to check out.

IMG_5276.jpegIMG_5316.jpeg2023-04-17_11-42-32.jpg

Trail Canyon
The next day we headed to Trail Canyon, going up the alluvial fan is a long haul and the road washes out once you get to the arroyo ( big boulders ). I was in 4L most of the way just to keep the transmission cool. We stopped in the wash as we were getting knocked around pretty good, but for those who are braver or with other rigs you maybe able to get father.
Good hiking and again the flowers were very abundant. We didn't see anyone else the entire trip up and back through this canyon.
IMG_5357.jpeg

Hanaupah Canyon
Same as Trail Canyon, long alluvial fan with a steep graded ascent. Once you get the Canyon entrance it gets rougher in the arroyo, we stopped about ½ up it before the spring. The valley is filled with flowers and you have a great view of Telescope peak and the snow trimmed mountains. A few good camping spots. Lots of wildflowers and old mines. We met 1 group of people camping in the canyon. The snow melt from Telescope peak flows through this canyon, so there is water here year round.
IMG_5390.jpegIMG_5405.jpegIMG_5400.jpeg

Johnson Canyon
This one is we will go back to and camp. I would figure you could explore this canyon for a few days, and if feeling good hike up to Hungry Bills Ranch, which used to be an older ranch before.
It is beautiful in this canyon!!! At one point the road used to go through to Panamint, though that was long ago!

There are lots of mines, a few springs, and the flowers were everywhere.

Long alluvial fan ascent, rocky at the canyon entrance, and then you hit a few gate keepers ( mostly large boulders ) we made it up though 2 sets of these gate keepers before my bravery left me. We met 1 other rig while there.

There is an epic campsite just at the entrance of the canyon, could fit at least 4-7 rigs with an old 1930s car as a marker.
IMG_5443.jpeg2023-04-17_12-05-06.jpg

Other Stuff
Unlike Striped Butte Valley we saw very few rigs. You are well off the normal tracks here.
GPX tracks below.

Driving the main road to the canyons we saw in total 4 cars along this route in all 4 days. ( this is excluding Echo Canyon, which did have a lot of traffic )

Along the route there are other interesting landmarks to check out ( Borax works, old grave markers, old wells )
Need Ice, beer, snacks or a T-Shirt?
In Furnace Creek at the Ranch of Death Valley, there is a store tucked behind the Inn buildings. Nicely stocked with firewood, propane, ice and beer, plus a lot of other things.​
There is no sign at the Ranch that there is a store, so I figure it is to keep out the riff-raff.​

And because I am a flower nut, a few pictures of those, a coyote and a chuckwalla.
Trip video to follow later.
IMG_5349.jpegIMG_5438.jpegIMG_5469.jpeg
IMG_5407.jpegIMG_5335.jpeg

GPX
Echo Canyon is here
3 Canyon is here
From my trail map you may be able to go further than where my tracks end.
Since I was solo, still a newbie and not wanting to break down and hike back out leaving my husband and my dog with the rig, I opted for safety over excitement.

Kit_553812

Rank I

Enthusiast I

First Name
Kit
Last Name
Tran
Great report.

I was there about the same time last week. Camped at Furnace Creek campsite....not aa crowded. The winds picked up later in the day which made cooking dinner a chore.
Hated that there were so many people walking with their flashlights and pointing in our general area... I had my red light on after dark and RTT !
I guess they have not seen a RTT deployed before! I was really tempted to turn on my high power flashlight in their direction!

This is why I hate campsites.... the wife on the other hand likes access to running water.....LOL....