Rank V

Enthusiast III

Catlett, VA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dean
Member #

I have such fond memories of going camping as a kid back in the day (70s primarily). One of the “essential” items we had was a Coleman lantern. It lighted our campsite at night and the “hiss” it made was as much a sound of the night as any other sound.

Now I have two LED lights and a battery pack and am thinking that the next time I head out I will not even take my propane powered Coleman lantern.

When I went to Maine a couple of months ago I did not even use my lantern. The roads I traveled were so rough and bounced the lantern around so much in the back of my truck that the mantel actually had sheared off at the top and bottom. You know how brittle they get after you pre-burn them.

My question to everyone is that with modern LED and battery technology does anyone even carry a traditional fuel powered lantern in their gear anymore?

Reactions: Traxx and Ubiety

Guadamuz_j

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Guadamuz
Member #

I have several vintage Colman lanterns, my oldest is a 49' nickel plated sunshine of the night. These lanterns work perfectly, unless stowed away safely properly they are great. However they can suffer damage out on the trail

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I have several white gas and propane. I still use them occasionally just to make sure they are operational and for short trips that space isn't such an issue. I keep them mainly for backup if the power goes out for an extended period. Would rather have a few around than not at all. LED has changed the game though.

Forte

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fountain Hills, AZ, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
McW
Member #

Always grew up with the propane lanterns and they are on my list of camping gear to look for in Goodwills and garage sales. I bought a couple of cheapo Walmart Kerosene lanterns before my last trip, ended up with Kerosene all over the inside of my storage tote. Might just go LED next trip...

I own kerosene lanterns for my camping. If I want more light I wait for the sun to come up.
How do you keep Kerosene contained? Pour it back from the lantern into the container?

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I have at least 2 Coleman gas lanterns with me when I head out. They're cheap to run, easy to use and always work no matte the weather, altitude or temperature.

Reactions: Correus

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Growing up we always used a white gas lantern which you had to pump up before lighting. I have still never seen a lantern that put out more light than that style does. The downsides are that white gas is getting harder to find, and they can light on fire if used improperly or if the seals go bad. A neighbor had theirs go up in flames on a camping trip and we had to bury it with dirt to put it out, which is pretty cool when you are ~10 years old.

I've always camped with a propane Coleman lantern but find myself using it less and less. Mainly this is because we just don't use as much light in camp, and my family finds that two Luci Luxes puts out enough light for most camping tasks.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
use to work for a place that built kerosene ones for boats , built my own out of seconds. A bit harder to light than white gas but man that thing would light up the night, it is in storage now, no parts. But I like the white gas lanterns on a cool night that little bit of extra warmth

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

We have 4 Coleman propane and 3 kerosene lanterns, sitting on a shelf replaced by 1 Fenix LED Camplight that is smaller than a beer can. Cost and storing dangerous fuel, risk of fire, carbon monoxide poisoning, burns, size, weight? Anyone want to buy some Coleman’s cheap? Lol

Reactions: Jeremy M.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I have found myself using the propane tank less and less, on our next outting I might just leave it behind since the small battery area lights I have make a well lit enough area for us

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I still have a bunch of them, gas and propane. I have used them most of my life. I don't take them out any more. On our forest trips we would hang a bunch of them from the trees and create a nice somewhat lit area.

For the speed, I started going toward propane for setting up camp in the dark. The only problems were, coming into camp late, having to set up the lantern and finding the mantles are torn. Tear down the lantern, replace and burn the mantle then light it. If its windy, find a place out of the wind. Now I have to place it somewhere so it lights up the area. If its the desert either set up a table or one of my lantern stands. Transporting them and their fuel takes up a bit of room. If I'm running a multi day trail, I'm minimized and space isn't something to waste. Due to the hassle, camp got set up with a flashlight or a crappy battery lantern, then the Colemans came out later.

Now I use LED. Less mess and hassle. I find I like the darkness in camp with just a campfire then turn on an LED when I need light. Then off when I'm done. There still is the nostalgic feel to using the lanterns but I guess I moved on to more modern. Setting up camp is done with a nice led headlight and if needed, a light set on my vehicle roof to light up the area.

It makes me wonder, when the Colman's first came out, if there were people who spoke against using them when camping with their families. Maybe it was too modern for them. Then there's the other side where people were intrigued by the new cool lanterns. Better than a wick style light by a mile.

Reactions: PBDNavigate

rsweet

Rank V

Member III

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Sweet
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IHR
I carry four of these, Easy Light Camp Lantern. I like the natural light and the heat they generate. Super light and easy to move around. Hang from my awning. Fuel last a long time and they do put out some heat. This is just one light in BLM land outside of Joshua tree.

IMG_4582.jpeg

Reactions: rgallant

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
We have 4 Coleman propane and 3 kerosene lanterns, sitting on a shelf replaced by 1 Fenix LED Camplight that is smaller than a beer can. Cost and storing dangerous fuel, risk of fire, carbon monoxide poisoning, burns, size, weight? Anyone want to buy some Coleman’s cheap? Lol
Sure, how much are you asking for them?

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

with modern LED and battery technology does anyone even carry a traditional fuel powered lantern
no, fuel is flammable, I look to lanterns are fragile. Even my fridge is pure electric, no 3way LPG. Only cooking needs gas today. The average camper today is so well insulated body heat keeps it comfortable......... but yes I loved burning the new mantle and hearing the hiss.

I also remember we never drove roads so rough nor drove so aggressively to break the gaz lanterns.

Jeremy M.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mascoutah, IL, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
McNeil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2JTM
Service Branch
Army
I replaced my coleman white gas lantern with a goal zero rechargeable lantern and a couple of the popup solar lanterns from goal zero. I prefer to not carry liquid fuel if I can avoid it and the rechargeable lanterns are much easier to pack.

Reactions: Flipper

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

I worked for the same company for forty years; Have the same wife and house for forty five; Same Church for seventy one; Have always used Coleman liquid fuel appliances for lighting and cooking. when camping - Guess I'm just not too big on change.

We carry three Coleman lanterns - A 228H I bought at a yard sale in 67 when I was in college. A mil-spec from 69 that reminds me of my time with Uncle Sam (these things roar like an F4 Phantom with the afterburners lit) and a North Star from the mid 90's which gets the most use since the flame is adjustable. Two Coleman stoves - a 413E double burner from that same yard sale and a 533 single for coffee.
All of these will and have run on unleaded gasoline in a pinch which I find to be a plus. I have modernized somewhat to a propane fire pit to counter the transportation restrictions and costs of firewood.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I really like my Coleman lanterns. I have a bunch of them. They are easy to fix and the sound and smell brings back memories. I have no intentions of getting rid of them. But I do take LED lanterns when I go camping anymore.

The LEDs are so much more compact, so much lighter, so much less of a risk (fuel) and they seem to attract fewer bugs. It just doesn't make sense to drag around the Colemans anymore.

But I refuse to get rid of the Colemans. They have more character. I can also expect they will still work after a solar flare or EMP.

Seanhecko

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

California City CA
First Name
SEAN
Last Name
HECKO
Member #

I still have the same coleman white gas latern that i used when i was a child 30 years ago. I dont always take it on our trips but it still comes on most. Its a reliable back up.

Reactions: 64Trvlr