Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Camping I use LEDs now. My Colemans have moved the Family Camp which has no electricity. At home I use Dietz lanterns for back up when we lose power multiple times during the winter. Helps with a bit of heat also

haaken675

Rank II

Enthusiast III

fl
First Name
Large
Last Name
J
Can the old style white gas lanterns still be purchased? I would love to have one to bring with. I grew up, and still use, an old coleman lantern at our cabin every summer. I prefer the soft light over the harsh led light as well...

Reactions: 64Trvlr

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I know Sportsmans Warehouse has the 2 mantle, dual fuel lanterns, Tractor Supply has white gas, propane lanterns and kerosene lanterns.

Reactions: haaken675

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

Can the old style white gas lanterns still be purchased? I would love to have one to bring with. I grew up, and still use, an old coleman lantern at our cabin every summer. I prefer the soft light over the harsh led light as well...
Coleman still offers one liquid fuel lantern model that can usually be found at Cabelas, Bass Pro, Dicks etc.

If you want one that dates back to your youth, they're often found at yard sales and flea markets. Ebay and craigslist are also options but you'll likely pay a little more. This is a great website for info and it has a 'For Sale / Want To Buy' section as well Coleman Collectors Forum Lots of experienced and friendly users there and chances are you can find someone nearby that's willing to part with one for a fair price.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I have such fond memories of going camping as a kid back in the day (70s primarily). One of the “essential” items we had was a Coleman lantern. It lighted our campsite at night and the “hiss” it made was as much a sound of the night as any other sound.

Now I have two LED lights and a battery pack and am thinking that the next time I head out I will not even take my propane powered Coleman lantern.

When I went to Maine a couple of months ago I did not even use my lantern. The roads I traveled were so rough and bounced the lantern around so much in the back of my truck that the mantel actually had sheared off at the top and bottom. You know how brittle they get after you pre-burn them.

My question to everyone is that with modern LED and battery technology does anyone even carry a traditional fuel powered lantern in their gear anymore?
Awesome post! I have a few gas lanterns gathering dust in the garage. On a recent overlanding trip I was struck by how things have changed - we have not used a gas lantern in years! LED lights became the new normal and I was not really paying attention.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I’m sure folks that had to give up oil torches felt the same way when these types of gas lanterns came along. While I certainly like the nostalgia, I go with whatever is easiest and smallest when camping - LED all the way.

xc70az

Rank 0

Contributor I

Arizona
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
M
Grew up around those Coleman lanterns. I remember that the mantles were always a pain. There's a certain nostalgia about them, but the LEDs are just so much easier.

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

They still sell them, but propane use now. Mantles are still old school. I have one but hardly use it. It does have value at times.

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

I have "several" (probably over a dozen by now) lanterns of all different styles and fuel types; butane, propane, diesel, kerosene, nicad battery, lithium ion, solar and magneto... And I don't use any of them. I just use the lighting that's integrated into my truck now. Its much simpler and always available. One of these days ill hold a good ol fashioned garage sale and clean out the decades of "upgrades" to my camping gear. Im sure my wife would love it.

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
New guy here. My wife and I have been using the same gas Coleman lantern for about 13 years. I've owned several LED rechargable or conventional battery lanterns and they never hold up more than a season of camping for me. I also don't have to worry about how I am going to charge them. I bring a case of propane cans on every trip and never get close to running out. Just broke the globe on ours a few months ago on a trip to Mammoth Lakes after owning it for all this time, and was able to find a replacement for 8 bucks at walmart.

Last edited:
Reactions: FishinCrzy

CharlieS

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Vermont, USA
First Name
CHARLES
Last Name
SPRIGG
We have several propane and white gas lanterns. We don't use any of them anymore. We only use LEDs now. Headlamps and small flashlights for everyone, ones you can hand in the rooftop tent, and a larger sized one for the common area. Candle lanterns for emergency backup. Headlamps seem to get the most use.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
We have moved to LED too. Clean, efficent lighting. I have a little woods led light that looks like a lightbulb, with a remote. I hang it in the sylvansport and we have enough light for anything we want to do. I have a couple of LED lights for outside too. My camping speaker for listening to tunes, news etc also has a three function light as well. No need for messy, oil etc anymore.

Reactions: CharlieS