Rank III

Enthusiast III

Wyoming
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Veltkamp
Member #

I ran across a disappointing mess at a camping/parking site in Pike National Forest this last weekend. I picked up what little I was willing to but I was not equipped to deal with their USED TOILET PAPER!! Just laying there on the ground. What. the. heck. (That's not the word I used then.) There were not any poo piles though. What?

How do y'all deal with that? Or at all? I imagine latex gloves and ziplocs, but is that enough?

K9LTW

Rank IV
Investor

Traveler III

Front Royal, VA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Arnold
Member #

I ran across a disappointing mess at a camping/parking site in Pike National Forest this last weekend. I picked up what little I was willing to but I was not equipped to deal with their USED TOILET PAPER!! Just laying there on the ground. What. the. heck. (That's not the word I used then.) There were not any poo piles though. What?

How do y'all deal with that? Or at all? I imagine latex gloves and ziplocs, but is that enough?
Sadly it's a growing trend...picking up after people. TP does NOT degrade like people think it does, and animals will quickly scatter it. I always have a box or two of nitrile gloves, and, yes, baggies. Whether it's for used TP, general garbage pick-up, food safety, checking the oil, etc., they're great to have on hand. Have some soap and/or sanitizing gel/spray and you'll be fine.

Reactions: DangitDad

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Sadly it's a growing trend...picking up after people. TP does NOT degrade like people think it does, and animals will quickly scatter it. I always have a box or two of nitrile gloves, and, yes, baggies. Whether it's for used TP, general garbage pick-up, food safety, checking the oil, etc., they're great to have on hand. Have some soap and/or sanitizing gel/spray and you'll be fine.
ITS ANIMALS THAT LEAVE IT

RatAssassin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Rat
Last Name
Assassin
Member #

We have a place near me that was taken over by someone who hauled a busted down old travel trailer to a boon docking site along a lake. 3 sites, and this one was trashed for years. Piles of garbage with saplings growing up out of it. The trailer was half sunk into the ground. I got tired of it and made some calls with a friend of mine.
The Forest Service guy told us that they were aware of it and were watching to make sure the guy wasn't overstaying the 14 day rule.:rage:
Now, we had been watching this thing for a few years. The lazy government worker was doing what lazy government workers do. Along with basically insulting us in the process.

We documented all calls and emails. We then took pictures and explained our way up the chain. We also kept on about being blown off on the local level by an apathetic employee that just tried to lazily lie his way out of it.
The day we broke through the ceiling and got someone high up enough and talked with them, they had a dozer, flatbed trailer and dum truck there within 7 days. Regraded off the site and charged the owner of the trailer, who was found serving time already for something else.

I get tired of picking up after others, but I'll do it to keep it all open for us.