Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Leon, TX, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Grant
Member #

Nice! there is a lot more down that way that is worth exploring, But probably the best area to go have some fun is the Gulches. Those trails rarely have to much snow even in the winter months. And they are pretty much the same drive from those who live in the springs. There are three trails at this location (actually 4 but Predator is really only for atv's) and when I go down there, we usually catch two of them. Hatchet is the hardest of the three, but Metberry and Longwater are well within your Toy's capabilities with out worries of messing your rig up.
The springs look good...

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

I agree on the Gulches. Although, the last time I ran Longwater and crossed the river to come out on Hackett, Hackett was pretty easy. They had filled in "Hackett Rock" and it was pretty much just a dirt and rock hill. That was in the summer of 2016. There is a bypass around the ledge obstacle going down to the river. So on that leg of the trail there really is nothing left but steep loose dirt hills, one dramatically named "Widowmaker Hill". If you also do the Longwater connection part of the trial, you have to go up or down (depending on which direction you run it) "Jeep Rock". This is a large slab of rock that is pretty steep and off camber at the top. It looks and feels way worse than it is though.

Scary view of Jeep Rock (I purposely took this pic to look "worse" than it is)

Tamer shot of Jeep Rock

The river crossing at the bottom of Longwater can be deep depending on the amount of run off, but you can drive around that hole to the right. Just don't go too far down stream so that you are crossing in the shortest distance possible.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I was down there a couple months ago and there were signs not to do the river crossing. Yeah they have made the long water obstacle very easy. I think the Metberry rock is harder as I am still running open diffs. to be honest Hacket is a very fun trail, I think the little boulder field leading down to the river is probably the most difficult part for my rig. (a little under geared and no lockers). The thing is he has to drive his Toy home and I think that Metberry and Longwater less chance of breakage. I would also suggest Rainbow falls except for the fact that is gets over run with bikes and atvs. when the season gets going I would stay away from that area on the weekends. A month ago we ram Schubarth Loop. I really like Mnt. Herman and that trail. For my shakedown runs. It is really to bad China Wall is closed until mid June I would be up for an overnighter and tackle several trails. I will meeting you (Etoimos) tonight down by Canon City. I will have to find the group as My Wife works till 1:30 and won't make it home till 2 at the earliest.

Reactions: Grantnr

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

The only signs I've ever seen regarding the water crossing are the main metal signs at the trail heads. They simply say do not drive up or down the river, they do forbid crossing it. Now, if there are new signs at the crossing them selves, I'd head those.

Hackett is harder, but I've not seen anything on it that would cause breakage unless you are doing dumb stuff on it. Full size trucks are down there quite often. I can also understand having to drive all the way back home too, so Longwater and Metberry would make for a good outing.

It's been a couple of years since I ran China Wall, but did they start officially closing that one during the winter? It used to be open year round (ran it in Nov/Dec before) and you just had to decide if you could do it or not.

Grantnr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Leon, TX, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Grant
Member #

Alright, update. We are staying in castle rock and may look at doing the gulches thursday.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Did you want company? Thursday at this time of year is hard to get away from work. I can usually go Saturday mornings as my wife works in the morning and really isn't keen on wheeling those trail again. If Tuesday and Wednesday goes well maybe I can go, But I'm going Saturday for sure as my buddy wants to do something somewhere.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Because there isn't a lot of people out wheeling on week days to lend a hand and since I really can't tear myself away from work I'll pm my cell and if you get in a pickle I can definatly drop what I'm doing (self employeed) and come help.

Reactions: Grantnr and Boort

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Just a thought Schubarth Loop is a very nice trail, the nice thing about it is in many areas you will cell reception. In case of the unthinkable? Just a thought? It is also going to be your closest option. But for a full day of fun the Gulches are you best bet.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Yeah, Thursday will not work for me either (and Sat is not looking good). I think you could easily find that you are the only person on the Gulches this early in the year on a Thursday. Being solo, I'd opted for Schubarth Loop as well.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Not only that you could do Schubarth Loop trail. afterward head down through Woodlawn park (bathroom Break) and then drive down to Colorado Springs Garden Of the Gods (Free Park) Hike or drive it, check out the trading post/Deli if you do. It is a pretty cool souvenir shop/Deli That would make for a very nice day trip for sure!! I drive down to do the Garden of the Gods hiking a lot.

Grantnr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Leon, TX, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Grant
Member #

Saturday morning we will be making a run through the gulches, anyone who cares to join is more than invited. I personally run FRS for driver spotter but if CB is what everyone is on we can make that work

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Saturday morning we will be making a run through the gulches, anyone who cares to join is more than invited. I personally run FRS for driver spotter but if CB is what everyone is on we can make that work
Ok Gulches it is, How about we met behind Deckers Corner ? There is a public bathroom and plenty of room for others to met. Is 8 a.m. to early? We can at least run two of the trails and be done by 1-2 p.m. that way?

Grantnr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Leon, TX, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Grant
Member #

8am will work just fine, and as the local I'll trust your call on meet up point. A little update on our trip 20180501_132531.jpg 20180501_132537.jpg 20180501_164025.jpgGuenella pass when we got there.20180502_080922.jpg 20180502_082038.jpgthe following morning20180502_130605.jpgRocky mtn national park

Reactions: Boort and JDGreens

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

How about you take care of your report your vacation trip. If you start a new thread just put a link in this thread so I get the alert. I will add any good pics. I take of your rig in action. It will kind of be good that it is just a few of us as when I often wheel with the club. They race to each obstacle and you feel like you are holding everyone up if you stop for a while. My buddy couldn't get away. (We have been working on his rig a lot and he needs to wait to do the shakedown run as he has 6 month old twins and needs to spend more time at home. You can Google map Deckers Corner it's pretty easy to find. This is really impromptu so I didn't make a rally point. Etoimos said he might be to busy for this trip (to bad he is pretty good guy meet him last weekend)