Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

I was replacing the differential fluid today on my 2017 JKU Sport. The front Dana 30 seemed free of damage or debris once inspected. However once I got to the rear Dana 44 I popped the cover and immediately noticed the spider gears (top and bottom) missing large chunks of metal from their teeth ridges. (Pictures attached)

This was the very first time I have replaced the differential fluid on my JKU since it was brand new. I am the original owner. Does any one know how this damage could have occurred? I like to call this carnage 'Spiders vs Godzilla'.

The current milage is 33,000 Miles. The fluid change was much needed!

Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 6.58.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 6.58.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 6.58.19 PM.png

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
That appears to be a metallurgical issue with the parts. I'd take pictures and the vehicle to Jeep. Looks like you're probably gonna get a new axle or at least a rebuild under warranty if it's still good.

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

It's kinda common with the LSD rear d44 in the JKs. I hadn't ever noticed any noises or even any other issues and when I upgraded the front axle and put a rear locker in too the guys that did mine noticed the same kind of damage. They said they saw that pretty frequently with the LSD rear.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I would say warranty, appears that the gears failed. When I blew spiders out due to shock loading and abuse I would always see some degree of flaking and fracturing of the hardening on the gear faces. The fact that there are just chunks missing without any gear face damage would not make me think abuse was to blame.

Enthusiast II

Hartford, SD
Needs to be thoroughly inspected to make sure the bearings and ring and pinion are undamaged. But, I'd agree that it doesn't look to be abuse. very little wear or damage is visible other than the missing pieces. Check on the warranty. If they won't take care of it. Find a shop that does axle work regularly. Setting up a ring and pinion along with adjusting bearing preload is as much art as it is procedure.

Reactions: Nickzero

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

Needs to be thoroughly inspected to make sure the bearings and ring and pinion are undamaged. But, I'd agree that it doesn't look to be abuse. very little wear or damage is visible other than the missing pieces. Check on the warranty. If they won't take care of it. Find a shop that does axle work regularly. Setting up a ring and pinion along with adjusting bearing preload is as much art as it is procedure.
Thank you for the wise advice. I will approach my dealer soon about this issue.

Reactions: Chadlyb

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Wow only 33k miles. It really does look like a chunk of something did that. Ive seen diff cover magnets come loose and break things. It really doesn't look like abuse and nothing is discolored from heat.
As @OBJK mentioned it possibly being common, that would suck. Hope it ends up free and if not use good parts.

Scott