Daily driver?

• HTML tutorial

Slicer777

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Phoenix az
Member #

I am curious to know how many of you fellow overlanders use your rigs as a daily driver vehicle, or just for overlanding?

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Reactions: Stone74

3wbdriver

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesville, Louisiana
Member #

Mine was a daily from new in 2014 until January of this year. I have a 600 mile per week commute for work now. I have taken the wife's '05 Camry as the daily now and the 4R just gets driven every couple weeks and on play weekends.

Reactions: Slicer777

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
Mixed. In an effort to save miles. Logged 20k on a year, lots of trips early this year. I'd like to dial it down to 15k/yr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Slicer777 and britz

Slicer777

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Phoenix az
Member #

I totally am thinking of getting a beater to save miles and wear on my Tacoma...glad to hear that I am not the only one in this situation. I prefer rock wear instead of "block" wear. Thanks for the input!

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

Tough call, I used to have a beater and now the Tacoma is the daily driver. I really like driving my truck so I haven't wanted to drive another car to work, but it would be nice to get some mpgs and not put so many miles on the rig. I'll probably wait until the right high mileage 2wd taco comes along. It'd be nice to have a real pickup bed without the fridge, and gear that that is always in the way for any hauling anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

I totally am thinking of getting a beater to save miles and wear on my Tacoma...glad to hear that I am not the only one in this situation. I prefer rock wear instead of "block" wear. Thanks for the input!

Its a Tacoma. You don't really need to worry about saving miles on it. Thats why we get them.
Oh, and mine is my wifes daily driver.
:confused:

Contributor I

Daily is my Pete hauling superbee trailers, you could call my overland rig my daily if driving to work tops twice a week but mainly once in two weeks, a daily then ya it's a daily.

Sent from my F3213 using Tapatalk

Justin Forrest

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Shoreline, Wa
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Forrest
Member #

It's split about 60/40 between bike and Taco. 12k miles in almost 2 years of ownership on my Tacoma. It used to be more like a 90/10 split. My wife wants me to ride less in the rain, I want to ride less when it's 80+ out. Vented gear only works if your moving.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Tough call, I used to have a beater and now the Tacoma is the daily driver. I really like driving my truck so I haven't wanted to drive another car to work, but it would be nice to get some mpgs and not put so many miles on the rig. I'll probably wait until the right high mileage 2wd taco comes along. It'd be nice to have a real pickup bed without the fridge, and gear that that is always in the way for any hauling anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I love driving my truck as well, but, a while back a buddy called me to ask if I knew anyone interested in his old beater. he bought it off it's original owner ( a coworker of ours) so I got it for a song and know it's full history, so I kind of had to jump on it. Also, I have a 35 mile round trip to work, so a car that gets 30 MPG actually pays for itself. More money for the truck and less wear on it.