Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Yes, which is why this one didn't get the full rack and tent treatment. I lost the front foot of the bed to gear but the interior platform is ideal for groceries and the like.

Reactions: Leo4x4 and GunninIt

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Yes - although we don't drive every day - perhaps once a week...

However, when we return from a "big trip" we take out the bed, refrigerator, storage drawers, and water tank, and take off the roof rack/sand ladders/second spare wheel, then we put back the seats, so we have a vehicle which we can use "normally". When we do short trips we don't any of the kit we've taken off (we carry water in 5L bottles, are not crossing any deserts, are not far enough from infrastructure to need the second spare, etc., etc.), except perhaps the refrigerator, for which we have more than enough space.

Reactions: Leo4x4

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Not at 10-13mpg I don't lol. My DD gets 42mpg, that is when I used to drive in to work 20 miles away, one direction. Now that I'm WFH 10-13 just to go to the grocery store 2 miles away is not bad lol.

Reactions: Leo4x4 and Lil Bear

NorCalRam

Rank VI

Influencer I

Los Angeles, California, United States
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Barlage
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6MEU
Service Branch
Army
Heck no I don't daily my "rig". I figure I can save tires, wear and tear if I don't daily it. Plus I currently live in an apartment so I leave a bunch of gear in the truck, may change after I have a house. The other ride is a Tesla Model X. Company car so its cheaper for me to drive it.

Paula - Canadian Explorer

Rank VI

Influencer I

Okotoks, AB, Canada
First Name
Paula
Last Name
Ponte
Member #

Absolutely! I keep all the overlanding gear inside, but swap my overlanding tires for studded tires in the winter. DH also helps out with his GMC Sierra if I need it. Given I work at a mine site, I only get to drive my truck when I’m off site and while on my time off.

Reactions: Leo4x4

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We have three rigs that qualify as daily drivers, Jeep WJ, Jeep Commander, and Ram mega cab one ton dually. All three are well equipped for overlanding as we use all of them for road trips and vacations, and you just never know when the pavement will end and your just not done with the adventure. While the WJ has the more typical 'overland' look with raptor lined exterior, max tracks and roof rack, all of them have a full complement of communications, first aid, and enough gear and food for three days off grid in them at all times.Commander.jpgRam.jpgWJ.jpg

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Yes - although we don't drive every day - perhaps once a week...

However, when we return from a "big trip" we take out the bed, refrigerator, storage drawers, and water tank, and take off the roof rack/sand ladders/second spare wheel, then we put back the seats, so we have a vehicle which we can use "normally". When we do short trips we don't any of the kit we've taken off (we carry water in 5L bottles, are not crossing any deserts, are not far enough from infrastructure to need the second spare, etc., etc.), except perhaps the refrigerator, for which we have more than enough space.
Current "daily driver" state (crossing Nevado del Ruiz - 4126m (13,537 ft):
OB Daily Driver copy.JPG
"Overlander" state (crossing Simpson Desert):
OB overlander.jpg

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
the tundra is the daily driver and overland vehicle because...well...its a tundra
the wife has the jeep and its for beer runs and getting groceries and trips to the ER for stitches. basically light duty

View attachment 173833
Hmm - please take this positively (we all have different needs and perspectives, so it's simply a different point of view) however if I were doing an overland trip I'd take the Jeep, and for local runs I'd get a Mini... : )

Reactions: Leo4x4 and grubworm

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

Did for 4 years, then in February just before the COVID disaster struck I picked up something I was eyeing for a few months Hyundai Veloster N. Even when she was stock she was a completely different beast to drive, now that I have done all the little bolt ons, going between the 2 girls is having to relearn each. Brakes..... X with upgraded powerstop Z36 kits, stop decent. If I hit the brakes in the N you will launch into the windshield if your not buckled up. Acceleration, I can barely get the X going 90. I can be at 120 before I merge to the freeway easy. Handling.... in the X I slow for all corners, in the N I push it to see how she handles it. Bumps/ dips, X was that a curb? N I have to sideways dips and dam near stop for speed bumps. Clutch the X is smooth thru the entire movement, the N is an on off switch that engages about 0.5" off the floor. Sound X sounds like a truck with the upgraded exhaust, the N with upgrade down pipe and exhaust and factory antilag sounds like a formula car, many have told me and I agree she sounds awesome.
X= leeloo from 5th element, unique, supreme being, perfect
N= Vanellope from wreck it ralph, crazy little white girl glitching all the place.