Custom Expeditionary Trailer

• HTML tutorial

Gunner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Avondale, Arizona
Member #

Hi Everyone. I had the opportunity to pick up a small aluminum box on a Harbor Freight 42-inch by 48-inch trailer here in Phoenix. The company made it a couple of years ago thinking about offering it as a kit then moved on to other projects. So this box, for lack of a better description, sat in the back for a couple of years. I bought it two weeks ago and have been planing around with it trying to develop an expeditionary trailer for my 2015 Jeep.

Last edited:

Gunner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Avondale, Arizona
Member #

I decided to use the Harbor Freight frame but added a 2,000 axle, matching wheels and tires from my Jeep, and added a full-length 2.5 by 2.5 mail rail do add both length, strength, and a rear receiver. I also added a 4-inch square rear bumper and two cross-braces to support the twin 6-volt batteries and the 16-gallon water tank.

Reactions: SubeeBen

Gunner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Avondale, Arizona
Member #

Inside front of box where I have the batteries, charger, and inverter. I will have a remote for the inverter so I can have access to power with the lid closed and tent deployed.IMG_2532.jpg

Reactions: SubeeBen

Gunner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Avondale, Arizona
Member #

Rear of box has a Pelican case with an on-demand water heater that is piped directly from the water tank inside. Next to the green Pelican case is my 11-pound LP tank to power the water heater as well as my stove and lattern.

S

SubeeBen

Wow very nice !!! Awesome on the creativeness thumbs up & hats off to you good job keep the progress coming.

Gunner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Avondale, Arizona
Member #

Sorry for the evening shots but wanted to get something out when I had the time to post. This is my Expeditionary Trailer with my 23-Zero (king-size) RTT. There is also a Tractor Supply utility truck box on the front. It will use this box for items that I may need when the text is deployed and I do not have access to the inside of the box. I originally put 150 pound gas struts to support the top but they were too much and changed them to 75-pound struts. They work perfectly and keep the roof and tent safely lifted while I have access to the mail storage area.
IMG_2545.jpgIMG_2547.jpg

Gunner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Avondale, Arizona
Member #

I already had the tent on my Jeep so no cost there. Paid $750 for the basic box and Harbor Fright trailer, got the Tractor Supply truck box on sale for $150. Had the inverter from a previous build. Added some electronics and the water tank, axle and wheels and tires. So I honestly have less than $3,000 in this trailer that I think will be extremely off-road capable. just wanted to share. I am also considering asking the company that made this one-off trailer shell if they would be willing to make more as a kit. Could easily be shipped almost anywhere and it is make from high-quality aluminum. So I would enjoy hearing your thoughts on my build and suggestions for improvements.

Kris022

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Houston, Texas
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF5UXO
Wow, simply amazing. The transformation from when you first got it till now is crazy. Great job man. Are you going to keep the current coupler or upgrade to an articulating trailer hitch?

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Very nice little trailer, cost is right on! Good budget build, that's an amazing find too.

Putting that 2,000 lb axle on is a good move, but I would take a good look at your leaf springs and hangers after your first tough trip to see if those need an upgrade.
I pull my trailer over some pretty washboard roads, knowing that the suspension is built for that type of abuse, I've heard those springs and hangers on the HF trailers are the first thing to fail under normal duty.

Good additions and clever ideas here, it's clear you know what you want it to do, sleeping, electrical and water were the high priorities for my trailer, you've done nicely for sure.

Dan.

Ed Bo

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

South Jersey
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Bowe
Member #

How hard was it to register the trailer? Were there any roadblocks you ran into. I have been thinking of doing a very basic version and the registration part always stops me in my tracks.
Your build looks great!

Ed

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
How hard was it to register the trailer? Were there any roadblocks you ran into. I have been thinking of doing a very basic version and the registration part always stops me in my tracks.
Your build looks great!

Ed
I am building a trailer project and am getting close to completion. I did some research and reached out to the local MVD office. I was sent the forms I need to fill out and bring with me. I will need to get a weigh-ticket from a public scale (usually at a truck stop). The MVD office will issue a VIN and register it. Not too difficult (at least here in New Mexico), just a few hoops to jump through.