Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jasper, Georgia, USA
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Camara
Member #

Just wanted to share my experience with this mount. I know a lot of people use RAM mounts but they're pricey. I found this as a possible alternative for those on a budget like me. It will take up a cup holder place so it won't be for everyone, but works for me for now. It's by "ikross" and I picked it up on Amazon for $20. Just tried it out on a pretty rough trail and I had no issues with it holding my full size iPad. I like how when you're not using it it folds down into itself. I attached a couple of pictures of it in my 4Runner. You can also use it for a phone. Here's a link to it on Amazon.
IMG_1240.JPG IMG_1239.jpg

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
Just wanted to share my experience with this mount. I know a lot of people use RAM mounts but they're pricey. I found this as a possible alternative for those on a budget like me. It will take up a cup holder place so it won't be for everyone, but works for me for now. It's by "ikross" and I picked it up on Amazon for $20. Just tried it out on a pretty rough trail and I had no issues with it holding my full size iPad. I like how when you're not using it it folds down into itself. I attached a couple of pictures of it in my 4Runner. You can also use it for a phone. Here's a link to it on Amazon.
View attachment 39103 View attachment 39104
But where do you put your drink then when off-roading...keep two hands on the wheel? LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: Doug C

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
I only have two cup holders in my old ass XJ, so I went with a magnet mount...which I have in my commuter vehicle as well and it seems to hold pretty well. Off-roaring on the other hand...anything not bolted down seems to work itself loose no matter what. Heaven forbid there ever be a roll over... I don't want stuff flinging around in the rig.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

View attachment 39103 View attachment 39104
Just picked this up for my truck...looking forward to using it...only using up one cup holder of the 5 in my center console:sunglasses:

Reactions: Overland USA

brian0128

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Glen Burnie, Maryland
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Ogle
Member #

How has the ikross held up for the last 2 months? Do you still like it? Will it work in the front cup holder or is the arm too long? I saw a different one on Amazon that had a shorter arm.

Doug C

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jasper, Georgia, USA
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Camara
Member #

I do still like it and have no complaints. With a full size iPad I can’t use it in the front cup holder. Not sure if a smaller tablet would fit or not.

persquank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

...anything not bolted down seems to work itself loose no matter what. Heaven forbid there ever be a roll over... I don't want stuff flinging around in the rig.
I agree with this one. No one wants to be in an accident or roll over or anything bad. But you should think about "worst case scenario" when you have "loose" items in your vehicle. If you don't want it to hit you in the face, make sure it is secure. I haven't used one of those mounts. Do you think that cup holder mount will stay if the vehicle were up side down?

Doug C

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jasper, Georgia, USA
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Camara
Member #

No idea. It seems pretty secure but I don’t do extreme off roading.

jeffpajap

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Layton, UT
Member #

I used that same tablet holder on a very remote rough trail getting into the north rim of the grand canyon last Sept. We were 4 days on that trail and never saw another vehicle. I was very pleasantly surprised how well this inexpensive unit did. It is not spring loaded to hold your tablet as I thought it would be. I use a thick rubber band around the middle to hold the tablet in place. No, I don't think it would come out in a typical back country roll over. High speed on highway is another thing. overall it very much surpassed my expectations.

Reactions: shellbackbob

Zack

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

So I looked at the product and decided to go a little bit lux and did a ram mount set up with my iPad mini. I am really happy with it. Ran me $177 plus a couple of bucks for sheet metal screws. So far it has been really solid for a daily driver. I will update when I get on the trail. I merged ideas from Swell Runner and Lifestyle Overland. If people are interested I can send along the ram parts list and pictures.

On another topic, I recently mounted my iPhone with a ProClip set up and I have been very satisfied. Super sturdy. I now need to figure out a way to run the charging cord. Anyone have any low profile options/ideas?

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

So I looked at the product and decided to go a little bit lux and did a ram mount set up with my iPad mini. I am really happy with it. Ran me $177 plus a couple of bucks for sheet metal screws. So far it has been really solid for a daily driver. I will update when I get on the trail. I merged ideas from Swell Runner and Lifestyle Overland. If people are interested I can send along the ram parts list and pictures.

On another topic, I recently mounted my iPhone with a ProClip set up and I have been very satisfied. Super sturdy. I now need to figure out a way to run the charging cord. Anyone have any low profile options/ideas?
I'm interested in what you put together for your iPad Mini and would love a parts list and images. I'm using an iPad Mini too. You can private message me here or I can message you my personal email address. Thanks man!

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

Have you tried the 90 degree lightning cords.
Cheap easy fast

Last edited:

Zack

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

So it is all installed and works great. Took my 4Runner out on snowy trails and bumped along without any stability issues. Currently have the iPad plugged into a 2.1A charger and it holds a charge perfectly. As for the charging cord, I wrapped it around the arm a number of times so it no longer gets tangled.

My girlfriend often rides with me and it is our daily driver and she is not bothered by the mount. When you do not have a tablet installed there are enough articulation points in the arm to fold it away from the passenger side. Additionally you can unscrew the arm from the mounting points with ease. As far as mounting, I used sheet metal screws and they went in easily to the plastic by the 4 wheel shifter but took a little more force to properly install through the carpet and metal (for the lower mounting point). I have yet to put nuts on the back and I am thinking that I will also put some marine sealant on as well to prevent rust.

For those of you who are interested, here is the part list along with pics of the assembly and installation.

UNPKD. RAM 2 7/16" DIA.BASE WITH 1" BALL, Part ID: RAM-B-202U, Qty: 2
RAM PLASTIC DBL SOCKET ARM B BALL A LNG, Part ID: RAP-B-201U-A, Qty: 3
RAM BASE WITH 1/4" NPT THREADED HOLE, Part ID: RAM-B-218-1U, Qty: 1
UNPKG RAM DBL SOCKET ARM B BALL C LENGTH, Part ID: RAM-B-201U-C, Qty: 1
UNPKD RAM RAIL BASE W/BALL & ZINC U-BOLT, Part ID: RAM-B-231ZU, Qty: 1
X-GRIP UNIVERSAL TABLET HLDER W 1" BALL, Part ID: RAM-HOL-UN8BU, Qty: 1
1/4" X 9" LONG PIPE NIPPLE ALUMINIUM, Part ID: RAM-PA5409, Qty: 1

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

IMG_0826.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

IMG_0830.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

Reactions: Road

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

That looks *solid* @Zack! Very similar to the one posted here by @Lifestyle Overland last year (https://overlandbound.com/forums/threads/overland-ram-mount-solutions.5752/)

I'd seen versions with the added second RAM mount on the side of the console, and just received my additional pieces yesterday. I also ordered a longer 12" pipe, as I found the 9" too short with my iPad and 7" Garmin mounted.

I have an assortment of arms, so it should be easy to swap in different lengths to change the angle of the tube for different uses. I also have the double head like in Kevin's link above, which makes if pretty flexible (as in use, not sturdiness.)

Thanks for the photos and parts list.

Zack

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

@Steve - yes I saw what @SwellRunner and @Lifestyle Overland did and I basically combined some of their best ideas. So what I installed is definitely not unique. As someone with basically zero experience with working on cars, this was an easy and sturdy install.

Yeah, I like the 9" pipe for the timbering but the thought has crossed my mind that a longer one may be helpful in the future.

Reactions: Steve