Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marana, AZ, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Duarte
Member #

went with a buddy who has a 19 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. Its pricey but all he did was put good tires on it and the thing definitely gets you out into the boondocks if needed. and tons of room interior. but i believe it has a CVT tranny as well and heard those have issues. My 2011 Compass had one and i had to replace it in 2017.

bamakojon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hueytown, AL, USA
First Name
Jonny
Last Name
Cochrane
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5DGM
If you're in a place financially that you would consider a Porsche Cayenne for overlanding, I would say to consider the new Bronco sport. You can get a base model for the price of an almost 10 year old Porsche (about $25,000 per my brief searching) and the top Badlands trim is only a few thousand more, and you get the advantages of it being new. Being a Ford, the parts will be a lot cheaper and there's bound to be a good aftermarket for it within the next couple of years. Also used Porsches aren't known for their reliability. Say what you want about Ford, it almost certainly won't be in the shop as often as an old Porsche and will cost less than half as much when it is.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
from 2013 on patriots and compass'es went to a traditional 6spd trans instead of the cvt on the non trail rated versions. I don't know why they kept the cvt there as the 6sp had almost as low range as the fdII cvt and higher "high gear" than the cvt of the non FDII models. I love my pat with the 6sp. It is a thousand times better than my 2010 with the Cvt.

Contributor I

Australia
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Outback
If you're in a place financially that you would consider a Porsche Cayenne for overlanding, I would say to consider the new Bronco sport. You can get a base model for the price of an almost 10 year old Porsche (about $25,000 per my brief searching) and the top Badlands trim is only a few thousand more, and you get the advantages of it being new. Being a Ford, the parts will be a lot cheaper and there's bound to be a good aftermarket for it within the next couple of years. Also used Porsches aren't known for their reliability. Say what you want about Ford, it almost certainly won't be in the shop as often as an old Porsche and will cost less than half as much when it is.
There's a few people I've seen that are brave enough to regularly offroad a Porsche Cayenne. Looks amazing! Unfortunately we have been denied the Bronco Sport's in Australia..

Reactions: WilhelmB