Crossover or mid-size SUV recommendation

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
if its not to heavy of off roading id recommend the vw tiguan. i have a 2019 and with the lift and tires i have almost 11" of ground clearance. I've had in mud and sand of new jersey state forests as well as the smallish rock in pennsylvannia and so far it has done great
Pics of that? I was jazzed on the tiguan before it came out when they were posting all the "offroad centric" designs. I have never seen one with a lift on it.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Used WK2 Grand Cherokees (current generation) seem like a great deal in the market. If you look around, you can find crazy good prices on 5.7L Hemi Trailhawks which should be a great rig for you. Another option I'd look at are the V8 LR4s (the later SC'ed V6 ones aren't bad either, but seem way costlier and I guess I'm just a V8 guy). Both are IFS/IRS rigs, like your other options. As such, they're still great on road. If you're a bit more serious about off road then I'd think about some solid axle options, but if you skew towards "soft roading" for you off road time, it's going to also be your DD, or do lots of pavement miles on your Overland trips, IFS/IRS have distinct advantages.

-TJ

eroyar23

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Pottstown, Pennsylvania 19465, United States
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Royar
Member #

if its not to heavy of off roading id recommend the vw tiguan. i have a 2019 and with the lift and tires i have almost 11" of ground clearance. I've had in mud and sand of new jersey state forests as well as the smallish rock in pennsylvannia and so far it has done great
Pics of that? I was jazzed on the tiguan before it came out when they were posting all the "offroad centric" designs. I have never seen one with a lift on it.
It’s been surprising how decent it’s been off road so far

Attachments

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Polish_20210110_115449771.jpg
1612610605713.jpg
Polish_20210209_153110671.jpg

Out of curiosity, what has made you scratch America's most popular crossover, the 5th Gen Rav4, off your list? Even the Hybrids are pretty capable offroad.

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
Outback has had the best CVT in the industry. So, not all CVTs are the same.
And that is the same CVT as the new generation Crosstreks. It is know that the old generation had its issues, but you can do your research and learn that those have been resolved and the CVT issues are few and far between on the 2019+

Yep

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

NH
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Bill
PNW suggests lots of rain, winged creatures (bugs), snow, mtn’s and roads (muddy rocky when and what time of the year). So Atmo, a capable, reliable true vehicle 4x4 not awd dependent when the vehicle figures it out it needs it, would be piece of mind. Sleeping stretched out inside when the conditions came up, be-it cridders, kooks, or weather. Something every You-Tuber has fixed and every garage mechanic can. Me, I’d opt for a framed vehicle and my advice for a proper kit which brings me to suggest a 4 Runner. As stock very capable and a world of options in the market place. Cheers!

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I still think something like this would suit the OP well. If you don't want the V8, there are more out there like this. If the Grand is too big, the "regular" Cherokee is still petty capable and stays away from CVT, and are very affordable like this. Heck, even the Compass Trailhawk isn't bad.

-TJ

PS- I tried to find examples in the OP's area

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Every choice has its advantages - one needs to look hard at what YOU really want to do. Factor in growth without getting too aspirational for what you want to and will actually achieve. We had a 1st gen four door Mitsubishi Montero which spent a lot of time off-road from the Big Bend, Mid Atlantic states, up to the Pacific Northwest. We then got to see the 'Zebra' Cayenne diesel that set the speed record traveling from Nordkapp, Norway to Cape Agulhas, South Africa 17,450 kilometres in 8 days 21 hours and 3 minutes. Same Cayenne set the record driving the entire coastline of Australia, completed a rally from Spain thru the Sahara desert finishing in Dakar, Senegal. Many more extreme adventures with the same rig. If it were not for COVID we would be driving the 'Zebra' off-road thru the Alps from Italy, France, Switzerland, finishing in Germany. These are tough and reliable rigs. We have 8 years and 112k trouble free off-road miles on our Cayenne diesel from the hot Chihuahuan desert up to the frozen Arctic Ocean. While they are not suited for rock climbing we have done the entire WABDR and portions of other BDRs. Have done the Lolo Magruder, southwest Vancouver Island, Big Bend, Lost Coast Trail and many other trips. At the Northwest Overland Rally we have led trail runs for several years. Our 958 Cayenne diesel is configured for extended off-road travel and endurance TSD rally events of 5k plus miles. Ours is completely stock except for body protection with rock sliders, bull bar, skid plates, and roll bar. Plenty of recovery gear including a winch that can be stabbed in front or rear. For our build and some of what we do see Meet Otis - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion ForumsView attachment 192924View attachment 192926View attachment 192927View attachment 192928
10 years living in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada, says Porsche is a true Aectic car. Every January they come thru with 20 brand new, often a few cloaked prototypes on route to Inuvik for winter testing, including a few 911s and Ceyanes. I don't think ANY other manufacturer does that. And they might be driven by mechanics, but there is NO back up, everything they need is carried in a brand new Porsche.

Thats a 3000 mile round trip with daily highs/lows around 40 below.

If you think Foresters are under powered, try a Porsche...

And then there is the ultimate overlander when speed/power count, the Porsche 959 Dakar..... if you have a few $M.
This one sold for $5, 945,000.00. It is 37 years old.

but honestly if all you want is more power, if a Forester does everything else, Porsche is a great option.

1985-Porsche-959-Paris-Dakar_1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindenwood

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

The funny thing about this thread is that the OP posted it 6months ago. He responded once, the next day. But the conversation has been going for 6 months : )

I like the GX but Im biased. Here’s my review of the 460:

The Poor Man's Land Cruiser
GX is definitely a great choice... especially if it's a daily and daily driving involves hauling the family around and such. As you've shown in your vids, very capable. Nice and roomy. Plenty of Lexus comfort and NVH isolation. Solid aftermarket support. Toyota reliability. Etc. etc. etc. I obviously have a Jeep, but a GX was absolutely on my list.

-TJ

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
10 years living in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada, says Porsche is a true Aectic car. Every January they come thru with 20 brand new, often a few cloaked prototypes on route to Inuvik for winter testing, including a few 911s and Ceyanes. I don't think ANY other manufacturer does that. And they might be driven by mechanics, but there is NO back up, everything they need is carried in a brand new Porsche.

Thats a 3000 mile round trip with daily highs/lows around 40 below.

If you think Foresters are under powered, try a Porsche...

And then there is the ultimate overlander when speed/power count, the Porsche 959 Dakar..... if you have a few $M.
This one sold for $5, 945,000.00. It is 37 years old.

but honestly if all you want is more power, if a Forester does everything else, Porsche is a great option.

View attachment 196576
Looks great! I suspect we won't be able to fit a bed inside - maybe we'll need to sleep standing up and poking through a sun-roof...

Contributor I

Australia
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Outback
I am a huge Subaru fan and have owned 6 since the late 80's and travelled extensively in each , below is the last one I had and we clocked up thousands of outback K's ,no mods and no issues. But I am not sold on the CVT and so have moved away from the brand.
View attachment 197053
Hard to replace a vehicle like these as most of the vehicle's competitors are also running CVT's. What did you replace it with?

WilhelmB

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

12 Grandview Drive, Redbank Plains Queensland, Australia
First Name
Will
Last Name
Beaver
Member #

Hard to replace a vehicle like these as most of the vehicle's competitors are also running CVT's. What did you replace it with?
I did go to a mid sized truck ( Navara/Frontier for our US mates) for a while, never having had one, capable and had a lot of fun with it. but I realised I am a wagon guy so my current ride is a Toyota Fortuner a mid sized SUV based on the Hilux. sort of our version of the 4runner (again explanation as i don't think the US gets this model). 2.8 diesel with a 6 speed conventional auto. a bit bigger and more truck like than a Subie but after a year of ownership i kinda like it.
pic below the day i bought it modified it a little since then.
vortuner.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve_ohhhhh

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Lots of competitors are not using CVTs. Even some who own Jatco the maker of many of the CVTs used today are moving away from them. I am looking at you Nissan. The new pathfinder does NOT have a CVT anymore. Even Nissan knows that its a crap technology for automotive use.