Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

I just recently passed my tech class and I'm looking at a mobile unit to compliment my Yaesu VX-6R HT. I'm hearing a lot about the cross band repeat function from other overlanders and would like to explore that as an option for my setup. Can someone ( @Lars ) help me determine if this is something I should have as an option?
I see a lot of conflicting comments on the interwebs about the legality and functionality of cross band repeat so I'd like to hear from some folks who actually use it.

Thanks!

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

I just recently passed my tech class and I'm looking at a mobile unit to compliment my Yaesu VX-6R HT. I'm hearing a lot about the cross band repeat function from other overlanders and would like to explore that as an option for my setup. Can someone ( @Lars ) help me determine if this is something I should have as an option?
I see a lot of conflicting comments on the interwebs about the legality and functionality of cross band repeat so I'd like to hear from some folks who actually use it.

Thanks!
Allow me to refer you to.... Ham Radio Could Save Your Life!

I don't own a mobile VHF/UHF Radio that isn't also a Cross Band Repeater...
The extra money is worth every penny.

There are several options in this space... In two approximate price ranges:

Basic Dual Band, Crossband Repeaters -
* Yaesu FT-8800R (I've owned one of these for 10 years)
* Kenwood TM-V71 (Kenwood's version of the FT-8800r)
* Icom IC-2730a (Icom's version of the FT-8800r)

Advanced Dual Band, Crossband Repeaters - (includes APRS, and might also be digital)
* Yaesu FTM-400XD (APRS, Digital, FM)
* Icom ID-5100A (APRS, Digital, FM)
* Kenwood TM-D710GA (APRS, FM)

Of these, it's worth noting that Yaesu and Icom's digital systems are NOT compatible with one another. And Neither is very wide spread. If you choose digital isn't important to you (and that's up to you to decide) the Kenwood is the best of these three as far as an APRS and FM dual band, crossband repeater by a wide margin.

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

Most of the radios can be configured to CW ID ever $n Minutes. You "Can" use this feature and will keep you legal.

If you can receive the remote site direct, but can't hit it from your HT, you can set up an "odd split" on the HT where you're receiving 2m, and transmitting on 70cm. Then you can set the cross band repeater with an RX tone that doesn't match the repeater. In this configuration you TX 70cm on your HT, the XBR receives you, and retransmits on 2m. Then when the repeater responds on 2m, the receiver in the XBR is suppressed due to the odd tone, but you receive direct on the HT.

For the most part I just make sure I transmit my call sign every 10 minutes, even if I'm not talking to anyone, This puts my call sign on both sides of the radio, and at a minimum meets the intent of the law, if not the specific letter of it.

None of these are perfect. However the Kenwood does have some specific functions that make XBR more likely to follow the letter of the law. As I said though, the CW ID takes care of it completely.

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

So do you think my VX-6R will work with say, the Yaesu FT-8800R?
I know for a fact it will. My first two radios were a VX-7R and FT-8800r. I still have both. :)

My dad (NZ9I) started with an IC-2720 (like the FT-8800r) and a VX-6R and he runs the "odd split" mode for XBR.
It's worth noting that programming this is FAR easier if you use programming software.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Thanks! Also, what antenna would you recommend? Obviously it needs to be spring mounted on my gobi rack. My CB antenna is a Larsen on a Diamond NMO rack clamp.

Vincent Keith

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Poulsbo, Washington, United States
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Binder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kg7cli
Allow me to refer you to.... Ham Radio Could Save Your Life!

Of these, it's worth noting that Yaesu and Icom's digital systems are NOT compatible with one another. And Neither is very wide spread. If you choose digital isn't important to you (and that's up to you to decide) the Kenwood is the best of these three as far as an APRS and FM dual band, crossband repeater by a wide margin.
I just starting to look into mobile 2 meter radios, was checking out the I-Com for no particular reason other than I like the interface - what about the Kenwood do you find better? (I think I like the colors a lot more - that white is likely to be a pain at night)

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

I really like the Kenwood TM 281 , I have 2, mill spec, one is mounted in the truck, the other one I custom mounted it in an old binocular case with a Diamond mag mount antenna for portable use to put in our Subaru Outback, or the Jeeps we rent when we go to Colorado

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
So you communicate with the XBR in simplex and it hits the repeater with a regular offset and PL?

You mentioned in that article, does that mean you can use FRS?

-M

Reactions: Kumayama

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
At the risk of creating a zombie by raising a dead thread. I'm looking at getting a dual band, cross-band repeat radio myself and I'm having a hard time deciding between the Kenwood TM-V71A and the Icom ID-2730A. I prefer the Icom looks but that's just from looking at pictures. I have no place near me to actually handle these radios. I believe that the Icom is a relatively new radio while the Kenwood is an older design but I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything in regards to quality, features, and reliability.

Does anyone have any thoughts that might help guide me towards one or the other?

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

At the risk of creating a zombie by raising a dead thread. I'm looking at getting a dual band, cross-band repeat radio myself and I'm having a hard time deciding between the Kenwood TM-V71A and the Icom ID-2730A. I prefer the Icom looks but that's just from looking at pictures. I have no place near me to actually handle these radios. I believe that the Icom is a relatively new radio while the Kenwood is an older design but I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything in regards to quality, features, and reliability.

Does anyone have any thoughts that might help guide me towards one or the other?
Between Kenwood, Yaesu, and Icom it's almost impossible to go wrong.
Two guys in Texas Overland got their license in the last year. One went with the TM-V71A, and the other went with the ID-2730A. Both are super happy with their decisions.
Those three brands really are like comparing Ford, Chevy, and Dodge(ram) trucks.

Or Toyota, Nissan, and Honda cars. They all make roughly the same things, at roughly the same quality levels, and roughly the same prices. All three are great. :)

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
Between Kenwood, Yaesu, and Icom it's almost impossible to go wrong.
Two guys in Texas Overland got their license in the last year. One went with the TM-V71A, and the other went with the ID-2730A. Both are super happy with their decisions.
Those three brands really are like comparing Ford, Chevy, and Dodge(ram) trucks.

Or Toyota, Nissan, and Honda cars. They all make roughly the same things, at roughly the same quality levels, and roughly the same prices. All three are great. :)
Any thoughts about hiding left and right speakers in a tacoma? I was thinking about using transducers inside the b-pillars or hanging small surface mount speakers in that area but I want to make sure the sound is clear as well. Also, is there any advantage to being able to do packet radio with a mobile setup?

Sent from my SM-G920V using OB Talk mobile app

Rubicoma

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Chesterfield, VA
First Name
James
Last Name
Coon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE4GIV

Thanks!
Welcome to Ham Radio.
I like Kenwood. I have a TM-V71A in my '95 Tacoma and an older TM-V708A in the '15 Tacoma. Both are analog only and cross band repeaters. Unless you want to do digital now or in the future you can't go wrong with the basic radio. They are cheaper in price and will work just fine for the trails. Also check the output power for both VHF and UHF. Some are 50w/50w but most have less output on UHF, 50w/40w or 50w/25w. What I like about the TM-V71A is the small control head. Easy to mount without getting in the way yet still big enough to see.

Any thoughts about hiding left and right speakers in a tacoma? I was thinking about using transducers inside the b-pillars or hanging small surface mount speakers in that area but I want to make sure the sound is clear as well. Also, is there any advantage to being able to do packet radio with a mobile setup?

Sent from my SM-G920V using OB Talk mobile app
I am still using a speaker behind the seat. I would like to get it higher to hear better.
Doing packet radio is up to you. The great thing about amateur radio is there are a lot of directions you can go in. If you want to do packet or another digital form, it's up to you. Digital is like cw. You don't need a lot of power to get out. I would like to get an HF in there one day to make some "Off The Grid" contacts. But for now it is the VHF/UHF and a cheap CB to communicate with those who are not amateur radio operators.

Reactions: RyanC

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
Welcome to Ham Radio.
I like Kenwood. I have a TM-V71A in my '95 Tacoma and an older TM-V708A in the '15 Tacoma. Both are analog only and cross band repeaters. Unless you want to do digital now or in the future you can't go wrong with the basic radio. They are cheaper in price and will work just fine for the trails. Also check the output power for both VHF and UHF. Some are 50w/50w but most have less output on UHF, 50w/40w or 50w/25w. What I like about the TM-V71A is the small control head. Easy to mount without getting in the way yet still big enough to see.

I am still using a speaker behind the seat. I would like to get it higher to hear better.
Doing packet radio is up to you. The great thing about amateur radio is there are a lot of directions you can go in. If you want to do packet or another digital form, it's up to you. Digital is like cw. You don't need a lot of power to get out. I would like to get an HF in there one day to make some "Off The Grid" contacts. But for now it is the VHF/UHF and a cheap CB to communicate with those who are not amateur radio operators.
I was thinking about eventually having a semi-mobile HF rig that I can setup at camp. Toss an antenna up in a tree with paracord or something. Maybe a horizontal dipole etc...

Reactions: TerryD and Rubicoma