Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I was thinking about eventually having a semi-mobile HF rig that I can setup at camp. Toss an antenna up in a tree with paracord or something. Maybe a horizontal dipole etc...
I have a 897d for that reason and also have the ability to stick it in my Xterra for ARES work and am digital mode capable with my laptop and a Rig Blaster plug n play. I'm hoping to get some more experience with it during the October SET this year including some vhf p2p Winlink.

Reactions: Rubicoma

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
I just purchased an IC-2730A. I picked it because the medium tx power is 15w instead of the Kenwood equivalent which is 10w. 5/15/50 still feels a little strange. I would prefer 5/20/50 maybe or something like that but I think with a good antenna 15w will be plenty for most things I want to do. Now to get it installed. I'm thinking under the passenger front seat since behind the rear seats is my subwoofer and I'm not sure I want to put my radio in that fluctuating magnetic field.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I just purchased an IC-2730A. I picked it because the medium tx power is 15w instead of the Kenwood equivalent which is 10w. 5/15/50 still feels a little strange. I would prefer 5/20/50 maybe or something like that but I think with a good antenna 15w will be plenty for most things I want to do. Now to get it installed. I'm thinking under the passenger front seat since behind the rear seats is my subwoofer and I'm not sure I want to put my radio in that fluctuating magnetic field.
I've only ever really needed more than the 5w low powers on my mobiles one time and 50w would BARELY get it done because of the terrain I was in. I think you'll be fine.

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
I'm at extreme range for any of the repeaters near my normal commute and 5 watts just isn't enough to hit them reliably even though I can hear them clearly. That makes me think i will spend most of my time on medium power. But who knows. Maybe Icom's 5w is more 5w than a Chinese radio's 5w.

Sent from my SM-G920V using OB Talk mobile app

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I'm at extreme range for any of the repeaters near my normal commute and 5 watts just isn't enough to hit them reliably even though I can hear them clearly. That makes me think i will spend most of my time on medium power. But who knows. Maybe Icom's 5w is more 5w than a Chinese radio's 5w.

Are you talking about something like a Baofeng HT?

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
Are you talking about something like a Baofeng HT?
Yeah, hooked to a diamond brand half wave 2m antenna on my truck. It's LMR400 into the cab with enough left for me to figure out where i want a radio at, then a 3 foot rg8x jumper to the HT since LMR400 isn't exactly flexible. I set that up hoping it would get me by and it did, only barely.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Yeah, hooked to a diamond brand half wave 2m antenna on my truck. It's LMR400 into the cab with enough left for me to figure out where i want a radio at, then a 3 foot rg8x jumper to the HT since LMR400 isn't exactly flexible. I set that up hoping it would get me by and it did, only barely.

Wow, lmr400 is serious stuff for a mobile. I use it at home for my base setup. I'm using RG58 on a mag mount and a Tram dual band antenna and here in the mountains.

Anyways, I don't know what your landscape is like or where the repeater is located so you may indeed need the extra power. The Baofeng radios are hit and miss on power output as well.

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
Wow, lmr400 is serious stuff for a mobile. I use it at home for my base setup. I'm using RG58 on a mag mount and a Tram dual band antenna and here in the mountains.

Anyways, I don't know what your landscape is like or where the repeater is located so you may indeed need the extra power. The Baofeng radios are hit and miss on power output as well.
I was trying for as little loss as possible, and the lmr400 was a cast off from a neighbor. I'm basically on a hill between the two repeaters but the land is all rolling hills and trees in between. I know power won't help much with the hills but I'm hoping it will help with the trees.