Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Deb and I spent eight hours at the Cleveland RV Show yesterday. Some of those places are nicer than our home, and we were in one that the show savings were more than we paid for our house!

One of the neater ones we saw was a Cricket Trailer, a really solidly built 1500 pound camper that sets up in about 15 seconds.

I could pull this behind the Outback without any problems. And in cold weather, you can use it with the pop-up in the down position, but you'd have to duck a bit. Really a neat concept, and I'd love something like that for weekends or short trips. But there's no way Deb would stay in it for any length of time, and it would be out of the question for a months long trip.

Too bad the quality, attention to detail, and small build lots puts it at a price point quite a bit higher than the cheap mass produced trailers. Top of the line Cricket with all the gear is $20k, while we found nice 17-19 foot mass produced trailers with heat, AC, full bath, queen bed, and nice kitchen for $12-15k.

Here's a link if you want to take a look at the details. http://crickettrailer.com

Reactions: Baipin

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I've been looking at the micro campers for awhile. Can't pull a lot of weight behind my Wrangler. But convincing my wife to spend a week or two in one is proving to be difficult. I'm about to just buy a motorhome and tow the Wrangler behind it so we're both happy. But for what they charge for these little campers, I'd love to have a nice 5th wheel. I work on RV's all day long and there are some really really nice campers for around $40,000 that I wouldn't mind actually living in. Then of course, there are the high end one's that are extremely nice.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I had been looking at teardrops for the past several years, and even considered buying a used one to take all of our daughter's stuff out to Seattle in September. But not being able to do much of anything inside means Deb wouldn't go anywhere with me pulling it. (Which could be a good thing. :smirk: )

With the Cricket, you can stand in it, the loaded version comes with a freezer/fridge, porta potty, sink, stove, bunks, and more. Much more usable and functional.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I just showed it to my wife and the first thing she asked was "where's the TV and microwave?". Guess this one is out of the question too. Got this new Seismic in the shop to work on today. This is my wife's idea of camping and "roughing it". lol

Reactions: murps

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

I just showed it to my wife and the first thing she asked was "where's the TV and microwave?". Guess this one is out of the question too. Got this new Seismic in the shop to work on today. This is my wife's idea of camping and "roughing it". lol
It has a deck....

Reactions: ShawnR

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Those are really cool!! I want to build or buy a nice little off-road tear drop trailer. It is on the list, this very, very long list I have....the list just got even longer since I have to build a new rig now

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Those are really cool!! I want to build or buy a nice little off-road tear drop trailer. It is on the list, this very, very long list I have....the list just got even longer since I have to build a new rig now
I saw some tear drops on Craigslist. There's a guy here in Iowa making them. I think they were around $5000 complete. I'm interested in buying one, though building one would be fun.

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

The perfect trailer is hard! I want something small and light weight, I would love a tear drop with a roof top tent for when the kids are bigger. The wife wants heat, a toilet and a shower. She wants the comforts of home but with a better view. I just want some place to sleep and someplace to put gear besides the jeep.

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

Dunco

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Warwick Queensland Autralia
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK4FABX
Deb and I spent eight hours at the Cleveland RV Show yesterday. Some of those places are nicer than our home, and we were in one that the show savings were more than we paid for our house!

One of the neater ones we saw was a Cricket Trailer, a really solidly built 1500 pound camper that sets up in about 15 seconds.

I could pull this behind the Outback without any problems. And in cold weather, you can use it with the pop-up in the down position, but you'd have to duck a bit. Really a neat concept, and I'd love something like that for weekends or short trips. But there's no way Deb would stay in it for any length of time, and it would be out of the question for a months long trip.

Too bad the quality, attention to detail, and small build lots puts it at a price point quite a bit higher than the cheap mass produced trailers. Top of the line Cricket with all the gear is $20k, while we found nice 17-19 foot mass produced trailers with heat, AC, full bath, queen bed, and nice kitchen for $12-15k.

Here's a link if you want to take a look at the details. http://crickettrailer.com
Now that is kool, whats the weight like do you think,

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

@Dunco The representative at the RV show said it weighs 1500 pounds. That's also what it shows on the web page. I don't know if that's the basic trailer of the one with all the bells and whistles (stove, potty, fridge, etc.) as it says the same weight on all three versions.

Reactions: Dunco

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
The perfect trailer is hard! I want something small and light weight, I would love a tear drop with a roof top tent for when the kids are bigger. The wife wants heat, a toilet and a shower. She wants the comforts of home but with a better view. I just want some place to sleep and someplace to put gear besides the jeep.
Same battle I have with my wife. Think I'm just going to by a motor home and pull the Wrangler behind it. Would rather have a tear drop or M101 with an RTT though.