Crater Lake Oregon

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast I

Brentwood, CA
Member #

Do you have a lower elevation recommendation? I've never been to the area and a family member has planned it. She's looked into the weather but didn't consider the snow still on the ground.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using OB Talk mobile app

jumpshowhigh

Rank I

Contributor III

San Diego
We left Grants Pass in the morning and drove to Crater Lake...I think it took about 3 hours. Crater Lake was beautiful, but a cluster-fuck of tourists....I think we poked around for an hour or so, and then continued north on the Rim Drive exiting the North Entrance (or exit as the case was) then took the 138 East to the 97 North. Plan was to camp at Paulina Lake, but it was so frick'n hot that camping in 100 degree weather wasn't going to happen, so we pushed on to Bend for the night (hotel), then to Maupin for some river rafting.

Enthusiast I

Brentwood, CA
Member #

So, I got some input on weather conditions and it turns out last year was much worse and the snow is all cleared out now. Does anybody have any recommendations for places to wheel/explore near Crater Lake?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using OB Talk mobile app

OrTrek

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salem, Oregon
Member #

Part of route 3 of the Oregon Back Country Discovery Route is just west of Crater Lake. Runs north and south. You'd have to buy the map from OBCDR. Or just get some MVUM's (paper from a NFS location or on the Avenza app) and wing it. It's mostly national forest in that area.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Mt Thielson Hike off of the Diamond Lake road.

Rogue River Gorge Viewpoint Union Creek and hike to the headwaters of the Rogue. Numerous trails to wheel on the west side of the Rogue. (Beckies Cafe in Union Creek for the PIE!!!!!)

Forest Road NF3703/Bear Creek Road from Hwy 230 to Hwy 138 west of Mt Bailey.

Watch out for mosquito's around the water especially Diamond Lake.

Reactions: xplorr