LAKESIDE AZ
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Grace
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran
So I have a camper trailer that I have posted before. It has a standard 2 inch ball coupler. I am really tired of it. I need something that is easy on and off. If I am on any incline or not perfectly level I fight it to unhitch. I want to move to something else. NO pintle recommendations please. Former soldier and have dealt with them. I’m thinking either max coupler or lock and roll. What are the good and bad on these and other than a pintle are there other options? Thanks for the assist with your responses. 16C5EEAF-9B34-49E0-917C-98BBCDA30741.jpeg

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Lock-N-Roll or a Max Coupler

I can’t tell if your current setup is a bolt on or slide in solution but both companies have products for either setup.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I have the Max Coupler, and it works good. I think the Lock and Roll would be easier to hook, but I have never messed with one. From what I have read, the Lock and Roll is easy, and now that it has been beefed up, it doesn’t bend when jackknifed.
My Max Coupler does everything I ask it to. It’s easy to hook up, and it’s quiet.

MLGrace

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LAKESIDE AZ
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Grace
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran
My current 2 inch standard style is welded on. Removing it is no problem. I do not rock crawl but even just exploring you can get a significant twist. What I really need is something that is easy to hook and unhook, quiet and reliable. I have hit the age when I cannot fight it for long trying to unhook. We often pull 1000 miles each way for adventure trips and then spend a week or so puttering around.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

you will find different suggestions & what works for them as a good offroad hitch system. I've used a 2" ball coupler for years on offroad travels w\o issue w\ the exception of popping once in while @ steep angles. My new trailer project I decided to go with an articulating hitch system. I've read many reviews on different articulating hitch systems & my choice was the Lock N Roll. You can not go wrong with either Max Coupler or Lock n Roll IMO.
006.JPG007.JPG

Last edited:

bshinn

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

China Grove, NC, USA
Member #

I pulled the trigger on this: Cruisemaster DO35 and couldn't be happier. It's a little pricier than the 2 mentioned above, but if you see one, you'll know why. Ordered it on a Friday, and it was on my front porch the next Wednesday. As a bonus, the odds of someone hooking up to your rig and hauling it away are almost zero.

Reactions: MLGrace

MLGrace

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LAKESIDE AZ
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Grace
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran
I pulled the trigger on this: Cruisemaster DO35 and couldn't be happier. It's a little pricier than the 2 mentioned above, but if you see one, you'll know why. Ordered it on a Friday, and it was on my front porch the next Wednesday. As a bonus, the odds of someone hooking up to your rig and hauling it away are almost zero.
That is a very cool design. Thanks. More than I want to spend though!!!

MLGrace

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LAKESIDE AZ
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Grace
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran
you will find different suggestions & what works for them as a good offroad hitch system. I've used a 2" ball coupler for years on offroad travels w\o issue w\ the exception of popping once in while @ steep angles. My new trailer project I decided to go with an articulating hitch system. I've read many reviews on different articulating hitch systems & my choice was the Lock N Roll. You can not go wrong with either Max Coupler or Lock n Roll IMO.
View attachment 96768View attachment 96769
I am leaning toward one of these hitches. I have researched quite a bit but wanted to hear what people have to say. Thanks

MLGrace

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LAKESIDE AZ
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Grace
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran
I have the Max Coupler, and it works good. I think the Lock and Roll would be easier to hook, but I have never messed with one. From what I have read, the Lock and Roll is easy, and now that it has been beefed up, it doesn’t bend when jackknifed.
My Max Coupler does everything I ask it to. It’s easy to hook up, and it’s quiet.
This is a solid option and I may decide to go with it. Thanks

Reactions: SilverSurferJKU

bshinn

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

China Grove, NC, USA
Member #

This is a solid option and I may decide to go with it. Thanks
You might want to check the other Expedition forum. There's a pretty detailed rant about the Max. Might just be typical internet bitching but might be something to it.

Disgruntled party seemed pretty reasonable & legit.

MLGrace

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LAKESIDE AZ
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Grace
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran
You might want to check the other Expedition forum. There's a pretty detailed rant about the Max. Might just be typical internet bitching but might be something to it.

Disgruntled party seemed pretty reasonable & legit.
Thanks I have heard their concerns elsewhere. I am on that forum also and will do a search over there also. Thanks.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
After hating the noise from a pintle and issues with articulation from a ball mount. I looked at the Lock-N-Roll and the Max Coupler.
They were almost perfect. Both had a feature the other didn't. I ended up making mine based on how the two were made. One thing I added was a stop to keep the hitch from spinning 360 degrees. Two times that feature has saved my trailer. Both times the issues were unforeseeable. After using a "3 axis" hitch, I will never use anything else off road. You will be happy with whatever one you use.

MLGrace

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LAKESIDE AZ
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Grace
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran
After hating the noise from a pintle and issues with articulation from a ball mount. I looked at the Lock-N-Roll and the Max Coupler.
They were almost perfect. Both had a feature the other didn't. I ended up making mine based on how the two were made. One thing I added was a stop to keep the hitch from spinning 360 degrees. Two times that feature has saved my trailer. Both times the issues were unforeseeable. After using a "3 axis" hitch, I will never use anything else off road. You will be happy with whatever one you use.
I had not thought of a stop to keep it from going to far! Good idea. I have given only a little thought to building one. I am a skilled guy in welding and some types of fab. Will give it a think over a beer this weekend, thanks

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Huelsman
I have the DO35 on my trailer and also have the tow pin lock. Most expensive coupler lock Ive ever purchased but like you said, unless someone just tows it away by the chains or drags it onto a trailer, the chances of them having the DO35 pin on a drawbar is very slim.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
had not thought of a stop to keep it from going to far! Good idea. I have given only a little thought to building one. I am a skilled guy in welding and some types of fab. Will give it a think over a beer this weekend, thanks
I got my idea from this guy. I added the stops and added in a piece of angle inside. When the hitch comes together, the cross bar you put the pin through lines up perfectly. If you read the whole article, he adds in that also.

lacofdfireman

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Member #

I had a max coupler on my last trailer. Great hitch but a PITA to hitch up. On this new trailer I built I am just using a 2” standard ball hitch mount. Probably the easiest to hitch up and I’ve had my trailer twisted and Jeep flexed our without issue of coming uncoupled.C0106DD8-2964-40C7-B70F-B2851F849ED9.jpeg

Reactions: Jube and MLGrace

MLGrace

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LAKESIDE AZ
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Grace
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran
I had a max coupler on my last trailer. Great hitch but a PITA to hitch up. On this new trailer I built I am just using a 2” standard ball hitch mount. Probably the easiest to hitch up and I’ve had my trailer twisted and Jeep flexed our without issue of coming uncoupled.View attachment 97113
It is what I currently have but I am having some real trouble getting it disconnected, even on flat terrain. At this point to disconnect I am having to pull the pin and drive a foot or so. Tough on the jack. I’ve had many other trailers and never had this issue. Tried lube, tried holding the catch open with my finger. Tried jacking it up with the latch mechanism pushed down. No idea why it is a problem.

MLGrace

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LAKESIDE AZ
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Grace
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran
I got my idea from this guy. I added the stops and added in a piece of angle inside. When the hitch comes together, the cross bar you put the pin through lines up perfectly. If you read the whole article, he adds in that also.

This is a very easy to build coupler. Going to the top of my options. Thanks.

Reactions: smritte

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I had a max coupler on my last trailer. Great hitch but a PITA to hitch up. On this new trailer I built I am just using a 2” standard ball hitch mount. Probably the easiest to hitch up and I’ve had my trailer twisted and Jeep flexed our without issue of coming uncoupled.View attachment 97113

The Max Coupler has been updated and is very easy to hook up now.