Scottsdale, AZ
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Geer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MIT
Should be fine. It’s not drawing full power nonstop. Obviously depends on ambient temp, but at night I’m guessing you would get far more than 9.5 hours.

Reactions: Reaper_st84

TheGrrrrr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Scottsdale, AZ
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Geer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MIT
Just a comment on the performance of the Costway, I had it plugged into the wall as an overflow beer fridge in my home office for almost 2 months and it ran without issue. My biggest challenge was maintaining temperatures. When set at 35f it often drop below 32f, so I would set it at 39f and it would wander between 35f and 42f. So far that is the only negative.

Reactions: Reaper_st84

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Simply take watt hours and divide by 12 and that will give you amp hours. ( they rate them in watt hours so you think your getting more for your money). 500whrs/12 volts = 41.66 amp hours. A cheap “deep cycle”marine battery from Walmart 135 amp hours (1620 whrs)costs $79.00.
That seems like a much cheaper alternative, but it doesn't have all the cool lights and outlets of the inverter. Come on man, Overlanders are about Bling! haha I agree with you just buy another deep cycle battery and throw it in the back.

TheGrrrrr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Scottsdale, AZ
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Geer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MIT
That seems like a much cheaper alternative, but it doesn't have all the cool lights and outlets of the inverter. Come on man, Overlanders are about Bling! haha I agree with you just buy another deep cycle battery and throw it in the back.
Generally, I agree with the battery approach. I liked the idea of having built-in ports for the solar suitcase, the ability to run/charge off the 12v simultaneously while driving, plug into the wall for charging AND have built-in USB-A, USB-C, 12v and 110 ports all in a self-contained unit. I could achieve all of that by building my own, but it wouldn't be as handy, portable or elegant as the G500. I haven't used the G500 a ton yet, so we'll see how it holds up over the summer.

TheGrrrrr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Scottsdale, AZ
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Geer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MIT
1 Year Update: The fridge/battery/solar combo has been in use sporadically for the past year and so far no issues or complaints. It's rare that I am out long enough to need the solar, but the Fridge and the G500 have been used in a variety of environments, been bounced around the back of my Rover on trails and supported beer stocks at a few parties in 110+ degree heat. Under high heat conditions, I do my best to keep them in the shade and will typically try to keep the fridge full as well. So far I'm pretty happy with the setup and can recommend both products. I will say that the insulated cover for the fridge is a must have for energy management.

Reactions: MuckSavage

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign