TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
Just my opinion and I'm not looking to argue with anyone.

I think this entire pandemic is bullshit. Last I saw (don't have a link) the survival rate for the US was something like 97.4%. I'm 65 years old, I smoke and I'm gonna do what I've always done; practice personal hygiene carry on.

Y'all have a good time and take care

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
Hummmm......
Be sure to include this quote of mine too... So you wont be quoting me out of context...

Maybe you missed my intended sarcasm here... That people traveling are not the real reason or the blame for stores running out of supplies just because someone wants to go on a camping trip and pass through another persons city... It was also intended to show that travel is not as big a deal as some would like you to believe it is. The primary issue at hand it to be more careful around other people to protect them and us...

Tangofox

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Flanary
Member #

I think this entire pandemic is bullshit. Last I saw (don't have a link) the survival rate for the US was something like 97.4%. I'm 65 years old, I smoke and I'm gonna do what I've always done; practice personal hygiene carry on.
You're entitled to your opinion. I believe that it is definitely being inflated, but I also believe that whatever they saw in China / Iran / Italy really scared the shit out of someone in government. I do think it's a serious illness, but that it's very similar transmission rates to the Flu. I think the main difference is the pneumonia like effect that it has on people with underlying health problems.

Reactions: Downs and Aussie571

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I'm just taking this time to go through my rig with a fine tooth comb. Super good inspections of everything. full fluid changes, torque check, re-configurations.... Just getting ready for the next trip, once all this craziness is all settled
Your lucky you can do your own work. I have things that need to get done that I cant physically do myself. I have to rely on someone else which means I would have to go to my mechanics garage 20 miles away and where there are more people.

My frustration is I need to finish my rig to be able to go anywhere when it's safe to go. It may be july or later before the all clear is given and that means having to wait until then before I can finish my rig.

I'm not bored or have itchy feet to go, I'm use to staying in place since my legs gave up on me a year ago. I just want to get my rig finished. I don't have that much time left in my life where I can do much of anything except sit. The standard joke at my house is that about the time I finally finish my rig it'll be time to bury me in it.

harley97

Rank III

Advocate I

Sun City, AZ, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Hinton
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DKV
Service Branch
USCG
My real feelings on the whole lock down is summed with. "Ultimately it is our job to protect ourselves... Wear a mask (and or gun), by limiting my traveling to bad places, avoid people who are suspect. I Do not depend on a government agency to protect me. The first line of defense always starts with ME. "

Any travel ban is just a "Feel good" restriction and does NOTHING to protect anyone.

Let's be truthful here.

Not everyone will stay home... And if you are staying home you wont get sick... If other people get sick out there it was their choice their freedom to do what they want and be where they were. Bottom line if you don't want to get sick stay home and if you do go out be careful when and where you go and wear a mask...

It is not your job or the governments job to keep other people healthy.. If it was, cigarettes would be banned along with a lot of other things like cars, vapes, sharp objects and of course hammers and bats. All the things that kill thousands more people every year than CV 19 will.

It is not the governments right to put us on lock down or restrict our travel. It is a constitutional right that should not be infringed. If we let them do it for any reason now we are giving up that right for what ever reason they want in the future...

Closing businesses is wrong... It will kill our economy that was going so strong and it may take years if not decades to correct if we even recover at all. I am a hard core conservative but... Trump really made a mistake here and Obama was right when he did little to nothing about the swine flu that killed over 12,000 people.

It is a businesses responsibility to try and protect their customers within reason and make sure shoppers are aware of any risk shopping there. It is a citizens ultimate responsibility to protect themselves and make the decision if they want to take that risk. With all stores open the economy will not fail and anyone getting sick from it is doing so because they made the choice to leave their home.

You can not stop a sick person from going out in public we all know this because everyone has done it at some point in their life. If we put ourselves in lock down we will never encounter the person who goes out anyway... It is your health You stay at home.

If I go out and get stuck broke down whatever it is the rescuers choice to come help me and there is no reason they need to get near me either. If I choose to help someone it is my responsibility to keep myself safe if they get to close I tell them to back off or I back away...

As thousands get sick and die it is most likely their fault or their loved ones fault the highest percentage of people with CV19 got it from very close proximity / family. Yes for some it will be no fault of their own just like it is not someones fault when a bad driver kills them... Well some things are just going to happen are you ready to ban all personal transportation so you will stop thousands from dying each year.. If not YOU are a hypocrite. If personal transportation is banned auto accidents can NOT happen. If we tell everyone to stay thousand will not do it.

If everyone's life is so important right now why does just about every "Stay at home order" have a provision that dictates if you are "homeless" this order does not apply to you. What homeless people do not count to the elitists? Does the government not want to protect them. Most of them do not have the mental capacity to take care of themselves they deserve protection too... People want grocery stores open, police, emergency responders and military working do those people not count either? It is OK for them to be at risk? If everyone is so scared of people being out of their house lets make everyone stay at home none of us should work. Will that work of course not...
{RANT OFF}

To sum it up it is YOUR job to protect yourself. If you do not want to get sick STAY HOME. If you are feeling sick STAY HOME. No matter what everyone else is doing it wont affect anyone who is staying home... It is NOT your or the governments job to make everyone stay at home.

You do realize masks dont protect you right? Masks protect others if you are too close to them and infected. The CDC and govt recommended masks because people have a hard time staying more than 6' from other people. Problem is they give people a false sense of security thinking they are safe if they wrap a tshirt around their face.

Reactions: USStrongman

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
i'm sure they did. i live in a weird area, being an oil field hub we have a huge amount of millionaires in the area that own boat companies, ship yards, fab shops, machine shops, etc and on the flip side, there is a crazy huge amount of gov't housing and welfare recipients in the same area. makes for an interesting dynamic.

even before the virus, everyone knows not to shop right after the 1st cuz walmarts are jammed full
Just to let you know, those people with edt cards cant buy paper good, soap, disinfectant or any thing that is not human food related. Most people in my area have ebt cards. I feel sorry for them in some ways. I understand the older people getting ebt cards but here I see young people using them also. I guess as long as you have no income the gov will issue you a card and a medicaid card with totally free health care. Anyway they cant be buying a whole lot of food on $190 a month as I am told. I was also told that these people can earn up to $800 a month and still get ebt and medicaid free. I should be so lucky !

Ashton

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Near the Rubicon
First Name
Hari
Last Name
See Above
It's a good thing we have professionals in the field of medicine and sociology to come and tell us forum folk all about this Wuchin Flu going around. Thanks @Charles M , I feel safer already. I'll stay home and I"ll salt those leaches coming to enjoy my Sierra Nevada home.

We are gifted with high intellect and years of experience in our ranks and we should be thankful. Just about everything I read on here was new information to me, never once being presented on a major TV news network like Fox or CNN or Al Jazeera. I'm already practicing social distancing online from dirty foreign operated alternative fact sites that will try and infect me with their viri (that's plural for virus).

Sarcasm aside, when I was an undergrad I felt like I knew everything and I was more than happy to let everyone know it. Now that I'm old and a bit more educated, I don't.

Reactions: Charles M

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
You do realize masks dont protect you right? Masks protect others if you are too close to them and infected. The CDC and govt recommended masks because people have a hard time staying more than 6' from other people. Problem is they give people a false sense of security thinking they are safe if they wrap a tshirt around their face.
The CDC and government recommended not wearing a mask because they correctly fear the professionals will not have enough to go around.. If they are so ineffective as you say then why do those professional wear them??? Why is the CDC and government now changing their narrative that wearing a mask is not such a bad idea. The simple answer is to protect others but, if you know what kind, when and how to wear one it certainly can protect you too.

There are a lot of different types of masks and respirators. I work in chemical and biological environments I have multiple types of protection ranging from a minimal protection N95 or full coverage APR respirators rated P100 to SCBA's. I must know and understand what each type will do so I wont die. I am certainly not talking about a T-shirt as a mask... lol

The following is in reference to common masks being used.

Bruce Ribner, MD, medical director of the Serious Communicable Diseases Unit at Emory University Hospital, said the two masks serve very different functions. A surgical mask, or procedural mask, is meant to protect the environment from the wearer. “It’s meant to keep the surgeon’s respiratory issues away from a patient,” Ribner explained. A surgical mask does a good job of trapping large droplets, and some aerosol transmission, he said.

A respirator, such as an N95, fits tighter to the face and is meant to help protect the wearer from inhaling infectious droplets in the environment.

Bottom line everyone is responsible for their own health. So, feel free to do whatever you want to safeguard your health.

harley97

Rank III

Advocate I

Sun City, AZ, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Hinton
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DKV
Service Branch
USCG
The CDC and government recommended not wearing a mask because they correctly fear the professionals will not have enough to go around.. If they are so ineffective as you say then why do those professional wear them??? Why is the CDC and government now changing their narrative that wearing a mask is not such a bad idea. The simple answer is to protect others but, if you know what kind, when and how to wear one it certainly can protect you too.

There are a lot of different types of masks and respirators. I work in chemical and biological environments I have multiple types of protection ranging from a minimal protection N95 or full coverage APR respirators rated P100 to SCBA's. I must know and understand what each type will do so I wont die. I am certainly not talking about a T-shirt as a mask... lol

The following is in reference to common masks being used.

Bruce Ribner, MD, medical director of the Serious Communicable Diseases Unit at Emory University Hospital, said the two masks serve very different functions. A surgical mask, or procedural mask, is meant to protect the environment from the wearer. “It’s meant to keep the surgeon’s respiratory issues away from a patient,” Ribner explained. A surgical mask does a good job of trapping large droplets, and some aerosol transmission, he said.

A respirator, such as an N95, fits tighter to the face and is meant to help protect the wearer from inhaling infectious droplets in the environment.

Bottom line everyone is responsible for their own health. So, feel free to do whatever you want to safeguard your health.
Everything you say is correct and I completely agree. My comment is more towards people getting a false sense of security from wearing a bandanna with a coffee filter etc. While those masks may shorten the distance the virus goes when someone coughs, they are not going to keep the virus contained. Plus I see a ton of people out and about that are not wearing masks correctly.

I really think the main reasons the CDC has now changed to recommending masks, besides the medial shortage, is because people keep failing at social distancing and because the govt has pushed it to look like they are doing something.

If someone is in close contact with others, and has a real mask worn correctly, then I absolutely agree that they are good.

Rockland213

Rank 0

Contributor I

Sidney ohio
First Name
Rocky
Last Name
Anderson
I do feel safe and am not scared .... so you can stay home not get sick and help kill the economy. America needs to rip the band-aid off and get back to work, open the parks, have the shows, ect.
How many people die from overdoses per day?
How many people die in auto crashes?

Reactions: 702FJC and TexasGMG

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I really think the main reasons the CDC has now changed to recommending masks, besides the medial shortage, is because people keep failing at social distancing and because the govt has pushed it to look like they are doing something.
I have found that wearing a mask works wonders for social distancing.

People stay away from when I am wearing a mask. I think they are afraid I have the virus.

That works fine for me.

Inthewoods

Local Expert Central CA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

It's tuff, staying in one place when I want to run to a campsite. I still have to go to work but I did cut my hours back but I keep my distance wash my hands like crazy. When this shelter in place thing stops. Can you imagine the number of people that are going to head to the hills streaking through the trees yelling "I'm free, free at last" don't go bumping into me while I'm running inthewoods. Stay safe.

702FJC

Rank III

Contributor III

Las Vegas
First Name
Joe
Last Name
R

Y'all have a good time and take care
Keep in mind, the survival rate is MUCH higher than that number. Reason being, only the sickest patients are getting tested, most who get cerveza bug have such mild symptoms they just get better on their own. Factor that aspect in and you quickly see that this is way overblown.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Texas closed all of their state parks today. As an American we have certain rights. I pay taxes to have those rights. I am watching our rights being stripped away one day at a time. No one has answers. Everyone has speculation. Fear mongering and intimidation will only be tolerated for so long by people in our society.

I will remember this when a politician asks for money or wants support. Were you there to support me in "our" time of need?

In addition to being lumped into the shallow end of the gene pool, my wife and I wont receive stimulus checks. They get paid, we don't, but our rights have been equally removed. The taxes we pay are funding for those who refuse to do right for themselves. Do I feel sympathy? Of course. I'm not that callus, but I am also a realist. I see how the true middle class is being treated... again.

Reactions: Anak and 702FJC

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

This list, from The Dyrt Magazine - "from tents to RVs, the Dyrt covers campgrounds and beyond" - seems to be kept up to date fairly well:

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive!

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Texas closed all of their state parks today. As an American we have certain rights. I pay taxes to have those rights. I am watching our rights being stripped away one day at a time. No one has answers. Everyone has speculation. Fear mongering and intimidation will only be tolerated for so long by people in our society.

I will remember this when a politician asks for money or wants support. Were you there to support me in "our" time of need?

In addition to being lumped into the shallow end of the gene pool, my wife and I wont receive stimulus checks. They get paid, we don't, but our rights have been equally removed. The taxes we pay are funding for those who refuse to do right for themselves. Do I feel sympathy? Of course. I'm not that callus, but I am also a realist. I see how the true middle class is being treated... again.
Once again the responsible are the ones getting punished.

Reactions: 702FJC and grubworm

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

If you filed a tax return in 2019, you should receive a stimulus check unless you make in excess of $200k as I understand it. I See and hear where your coming from. The middle class are the backbone of the tax system and the ones who pay the most. I hope the people who get the $600 a week understand that it is not tax free and they better save uncles share or the IRS will surly be looking for them and their assets.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Ok now this is a little off topic, but here where I live, for a while (I guess since the stay at home order) at 8 o'clock all over the neighborhood people go outside and start howling, well with the full moon it was really different. Anyone else know of this???