Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dodgetown, NC, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Vandyke
Member #

See if you can get in touch with @TerryD He took a few of us on a trail back the beginning of March, I think he tracked the route on Gaia and may have a .gpx file. We were just North of Roanoak & I -64, went onto Pads Creek Road, off of VA633, then branched off onto Pads Creek. The creek ran alongside the trail and he mentioned that it was stocked with trout. Along the trail we also saw 3-4 disbursed campsites that would make a nice get-a-way and scratch your fishing itch.
the place I usually go is actually just north of where @TerryD is from lol. I’ve been going up there my entire life

• Haha
Reactions: TerryD and Relic6.3

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I’ve got the camping bug bad. And the fishing bug as well. Spring is prime time for trout fishing and I’ve been waiting for it all winter. Upgraded the roof top tent and put some time and money into the Tacoma and my fly fishing gear. Was fully prepared to go and now this stuff started. Looking at the restrictions in NC, they encourage outdoor recreation as long as safe distances are maintained. But I live right on the VA state line, and the places I go camping and fishing are all in Virginia about 2-3 hours away in the mountains. But they’re all incredibly remote areas. The only people I ever see are the one or two people that go with me (usually in a separate vehicle). I’m not sure about VA but what I interpreted from the NC lockdown is we can go out and do these things as long as we don’t go to any places that are closed and we maintain social distancing. Most campgrounds across the US are closed. I read on the VDGIF that the national forest areas are still open to fishing and hiking but didn’t see anything about camping in the national forest areas.

What they're suggesting in a lot of places is to not go, no matter how prepared one thinks they are or actually might be, because of potential accidents with vehicle or person. That's why a lot of places have ended up saying no overnight camping, no backcountry permits, etc. There's no one to come help or rescue in an emergency, no matter how small or large, and services in the closest communities may already be stressed with lack of workers, shut-downs, etc.

I have absolutely no doubt as this virus crisis continues that some folks are going to go out anyway, get in trouble, and not be helped in ways they need. Face it, though you may be more experienced than some, most folks itching to use their new gear right now have only been out a handful of times and mostly to organized camp spots like a state park. Those are the ones who are gonna get in jams quick. Even the much more experienced, and I include myself among them, are going to get in jams here and there and not be able to get out of them the way they would have before.

That's why I and most who travel and camp a lot are staying put, not potentially adding to local problems elsewhere or stressing the communities were are going to, or through.

IF you choose to go, be damned sure the area you are going to is still open (lots of places have shifted position on this overnight in the last few days and more will be changing in coming days), and have two or three backup spots as well, and be prepared to be turned away from local businesses or find them closed. Same with camping areas, they may be suddenly closed. You also run the risk of getting there and finding a shitload of others have the same idea for the same places.

Like the OB vid said the other night, Adventure Can Wait.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive!

Last edited:

Relic6.3

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Pat
Last Name
Crowell
Member #

You also run the risk of getting there and finding a shitload of others have the same idea for the same places.
That was what I was thinking too... a popular spot here in North Carolina is Old Highway 105 running along Linville Gorge. Folks have been commenting on how crowded it has become since/during the stay-at-home orders. Would not be surprised to see the county blocking access at each end until this resolves itself.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

That was what I was thinking too... a popular spot here in North Carolina is Old Highway 105 running along Linville Gorge. Folks have been commenting on how crowded it has become since/during the stay-at-home orders. Would not be surprised to see the county blocking access at each end until this resolves itself.

It's exactly why some places, open just a week ago for overnighters, are now closed. Too many all thinking "oh, just this once" or "It's just me and my wife, what could that hurt?" at the same time and headed to the normally open spots.

It's happening all across the nation. Local communities near nat'l forests and BLM lands have even enacted Locals Only measures, legal or not, saying people from away can drive through but not stop.

Stresses local communities as far as fuel and groceries etc, and visitors/campers are perceived as being part of the reason their shelves are empty, why the TP is disappearing from rest rooms, and worried, rightyl so, that they may be bringing the virus to town. Lots of place do not have a local hospital, or health services of much depth within many miles.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive!

Reactions: taliv

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I think Virginia just closed all the trails in the state. A busy sent me a link but I haven't read it all yet.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Well just got notice the Overland BC Rally, scheduled for mid June in Whistler, BC has been cancelled. Kudos to them, they are refunding fees paid. And the NW Overland Rally in WA has been rescheduled to Sept 3 thru 6.

Darn it all.

DSCN2320.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: TerryD

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
Going out in the desert or wilderness near you BUT away from other people to take the kids out in the fresh air and sunshine is good for everyone's mental and physical health. It is putting nobody at risk, period.

Wear gloves when you gas up and a mask when you need to go inside somewhere to resupply and do your best. And remember, your best may not be someone else's best.

Good luck out there, hope you all are safe!
In Nevada walking and Hiking are exempted from the "shut in place suggestions." There are few places where people live that hiking while keeping social distance is an option without doing some traveling. BLM here is encouraging hiking camping and other responsible uses of BLM land during this time only areas prone to congestion and staffing are limited.

For pumping gas I use a lot of hand sanitizer I put some in the palm of my hand to wipe down every surface of the pump handle and key pad. I have been doing this for years I tell people it is my way of disinfecting a surface that is never cleaned.. My way of hopefully keeping more people healthier. In normal times I can be a little bit of a germ a phobic concerning other people.

People who are traveling full time are a big problem they need to be quarantined in one spot or sent home or locked into a compound and not allowed to leave until this is over in a year or so. They can easily spread covid from state to state like someone said above they have no right to use local supplies in towns and states they visit or stay in. It is OK if you are traveling in your own state you are a "local" supporting it with your taxes and working there. Unlike the full time leaches who are just passing through and crowding our parks and camping areas so we can't enjoy our own resources.

Sorry, this last paragraph sounds extremely elitist because, people who feel this way are elitists. Who are they to talk about what is or is not good for each town and state? They don't live here they have no idea what my situation is...

Battle Born...

702FJC

Rank III

Contributor III

Las Vegas
First Name
Joe
Last Name
R
"People who are traveling full time are a big problem they need to be quarantined in one spot or sent home or locked into a compound and not allowed to leave until this is over in a year or so."

Unreal

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
"People who are traveling full time are a big problem they need to be quarantined in one spot or sent home or locked into a compound and not allowed to leave until this is over in a year or so."

Unreal
While I will grant the tone could bear improvement, the point is valid.

One of the keys to licking this thing is to get folks to stay put and not spread it around.

Reactions: TerryD

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM

Unreal
Maybe you missed my intended sarcasm here... That people traveling are not the real reason or the blame for stores running out of supplies just because someone wants to go on a camping trip and pass through another persons city... It was also intended to show that travel is not as big a deal as some would like you to believe it is. The primary issue at hand it to be more careful around other people to protect them and us...

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Maybe you missed my intended sarcasm here... That people traveling are not the real reason or the blame for stores running out of supplies just because someone wants to go on a camping trip and pass through another persons city... It was also intended to show that travel is not as big a deal as some would like you to believe it is. The primary issue at hand it to be more careful around other people to protect them and us...
I honestly had to read it twice before I realized what you were trying to get at haha. But yeah I get it. My daughter and I did a trip though a good chunk of NM right as all this was kicking off. We bought gas and a bag of ice from an automated ice machine and a few drinks here and there but our number of human interactions over 4 days and 2000 miles could be counted on one hand with fingers left over and all of those were at a distance. My money went into their local economies and we got to escape the day to day grind. I don't feel like we did anything irresponsible. But hey maybe I'm just a big piece of crap.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

So many people are showing up places that they are having to close down.

Indiana officials order Haspin Acres to close after dozens flock to park causing traffic jam

Yep, "... many people were coming from Ohio."

offroadpark-closed.jpg

jackasses_0816-800.jpg
In regards to the image above, as is pointed out in the post below:

From Snopes:

However much truth that parable may hold, it isn’t directly applicable to this picture, which has nothing to do with World War II, or landmines, or any danger the donkey might have posed had it been allowed to run free.​
The picture actually dates from 1958, during the Algerian War (i.e., a war for independence waged against French forces in Colonial Algeria). And it depicts a starving donkey that was rescued by a member of the French Foreign Legion who carried it back to his base, where the animal was nursed back to health, given the name “Bambi,” and adopted as a unit mascot — as described by author Douglas Porch in his 1991 history of the Legion.​
.​
Stay safe, stay clean, stay home!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashton and taliv

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

View attachment 147503

Stay safe, stay clean, stay home!
We all need to be careful of reposting this clickbait online.

From Snopes

”The picture actually dates from 1958, during the Algerian War (i.e., a war for independence waged against French forces in Colonial Algeria). And it depicts a starving donkey that was rescued by a member of the French Foreign Legion who carried it back to his base, where the animal was nursed back to health, given the name “Bambi,” and adopted as a unit mascot — as described by author Douglas Porch in his 1991 history of the Legion”

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

We all need to be careful of reposting this clickbait online.

From Snopes

”The picture actually dates from 1958, during the Algerian War (i.e., a war for independence waged against French forces in Colonial Algeria). And it depicts a starving donkey that was rescued by a member of the French Foreign Legion who carried it back to his base, where the animal was nursed back to health, given the name “Bambi,” and adopted as a unit mascot — as described by author Douglas Porch in his 1991 history of the Legion”
Good call - I'll edit my post to include that.

The point it makes is valid, however.

702FJC

Rank III

Contributor III

Las Vegas
First Name
Joe
Last Name
R

Any normal time your sarcasm would have been plain as day. Unfortunately in these crazy times there are people that actually have those thoughts, especially some of the power hungry local politicians.

Thanks for the laugh! :smile:

Tangofox

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Flanary
Member #

Following the mania on reddit and watching all of the people get absolutely blasted for leaving their house.

I have 10 days off from work, and my wife is working remotely. We're going to go to a friend's house (he's elsewhere), park in his driveway, live out of the RV and watch his property for a few days. Just a different change of scenery.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
My real feelings on the whole lock down is summed with. "Ultimately it is our job to protect ourselves... Wear a mask (and or gun), by limiting my traveling to bad places, avoid people who are suspect. I Do not depend on a government agency to protect me. The first line of defense always starts with ME. "

Any travel ban is just a "Feel good" restriction and does NOTHING to protect anyone.

Let's be truthful here.

Not everyone will stay home... And if you are staying home you wont get sick... If other people get sick out there it was their choice their freedom to do what they want and be where they were. Bottom line if you don't want to get sick stay home and if you do go out be careful when and where you go and wear a mask...

It is not your job or the governments job to keep other people healthy.. If it was, cigarettes would be banned along with a lot of other things like cars, vapes, sharp objects and of course hammers and bats. All the things that kill thousands more people every year than CV 19 will.

It is not the governments right to put us on lock down or restrict our travel. It is a constitutional right that should not be infringed. If we let them do it for any reason now we are giving up that right for what ever reason they want in the future...

Closing businesses is wrong... It will kill our economy that was going so strong and it may take years if not decades to correct if we even recover at all. I am a hard core conservative but... Trump really made a mistake here and Obama was right when he did little to nothing about the swine flu that killed over 12,000 people.

It is a businesses responsibility to try and protect their customers within reason and make sure shoppers are aware of any risk shopping there. It is a citizens ultimate responsibility to protect themselves and make the decision if they want to take that risk. With all stores open the economy will not fail and anyone getting sick from it is doing so because they made the choice to leave their home.

You can not stop a sick person from going out in public we all know this because everyone has done it at some point in their life. If we put ourselves in lock down we will never encounter the person who goes out anyway... It is your health You stay at home.

If I go out and get stuck broke down whatever it is the rescuers choice to come help me and there is no reason they need to get near me either. If I choose to help someone it is my responsibility to keep myself safe if they get to close I tell them to back off or I back away...

As thousands get sick and die it is most likely their fault or their loved ones fault the highest percentage of people with CV19 got it from very close proximity / family. Yes for some it will be no fault of their own just like it is not someones fault when a bad driver kills them... Well some things are just going to happen are you ready to ban all personal transportation so you will stop thousands from dying each year.. If not YOU are a hypocrite. If personal transportation is banned auto accidents can NOT happen. If we tell everyone to stay thousand will not do it.

If everyone's life is so important right now why does just about every "Stay at home order" have a provision that dictates if you are "homeless" this order does not apply to you. What homeless people do not count to the elitists? Does the government not want to protect them. Most of them do not have the mental capacity to take care of themselves they deserve protection too... People want grocery stores open, police, emergency responders and military working do those people not count either? It is OK for them to be at risk? If everyone is so scared of people being out of their house lets make everyone stay at home none of us should work. Will that work of course not...
{RANT OFF}

To sum it up it is YOUR job to protect yourself. If you do not want to get sick STAY HOME. If you are feeling sick STAY HOME. No matter what everyone else is doing it wont affect anyone who is staying home... It is NOT your or the governments job to make everyone stay at home.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
It is OK if you are traveling in your own state you are a "local" supporting it with your taxes and working there. Unlike the full time leaches who are just passing through and crowding our parks and camping areas so we can't enjoy our own resources.
It is not the governments right to put us on lock down or restrict our travel. It is a constitutional right that should not be infringed.
Hummmm......

• Haha
Reactions: Relic6.3