First Name
Bill
Last Name
Hinton
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DKV
Service Branch
USCG
MAYBE not here in that states but it is happening. These are two that I just saw this morning.
The city of Fayetteville NC has implemented a curfew for 9 p.m. - 6 a.m. Don't recall how long that is supposed to last but since Fayetteville borders with FT. Bragg (Big Army) this could prove interesting... at least if the cops try to enforce it.
Yes, my comment was specific to the US. Our Constitution protects us from forced confinement. The curfew is not legal either and it's been challenged in other cities around the US. Military is a different beast, they can do what they want with their members, but they are also prohibited from enforcing laws in civilians.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Re: fines in America - I agree with @harley97; though I did see that somewhere in California two women were fined $500 in the early social-distancing 'orders' out there for walking too close together, I can't find that source now so it may have just been rumor/speculation. The fines and jail time are for blatant disregard of rules around closures, gathering, and endangering, like the pastor arrested for holding large church services or the idiot who licked products in a grocery store.

One good thing about being old AF, is that I get to go to the grocery for an hour before it is open to the general public. The shelves have been stocked overnight, so I often have a wider selection and availability from which to choose.

I'm usually up and awake around dawn anyway, so bike, hike, or drive down to the local H'fords and pick up what we need. I mean, hey, they were out of Capers for chris'sakes last week. Who would'a thunk there'd be a run on capers, of all things. I need them for my smoked salmon & cream cheese breakfasts!

lox_0538-750.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: grubworm

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

All I am doing is ensuring people have the correct information that they are not confined to their homes and will not face penalties for leaving their home. If someone wants to leave their home it is legal, but they should avoid other people at all costs.
guess you don't agree with post 28... it is a very fluid situation, those ignoring the facts, looking forbthat loop hole are driving the states to enact laws to deal with the guys who just don't get it.

Reactions: grubworm

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Yes, my comment was specific to the US. Our Constitution protects us from forced confinement. The curfew is not legal either and it's been challenged in other cities around the US. Military is a different beast, they can do what they want with their members, but they are also prohibited from enforcing laws in civilians.
there are cases where marshall law, we call it emergency measures will over ride all the constitutional rights you have. And yes, you have those laws in the USA too.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
guess you don't agree with post 28... it is a very fluid situation, those ignoring the facts, looking forbthat loop hole are driving the states to enact laws to deal with the guys who just don't get it.

its about like going into a movie theater and talking loud during the show. sure, you have freedom of speech, but how about courtesy for others? thats the whole thing about the quarantine...being out and about could adversely affect others. i'm not staying home because the governing bodies tell me to as much as i stay put out of respect for others. 'common courtesy', which obviously isn't "common" anymore

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

there are cases where marshall law, we call it emergency measures will over ride all the constitutional rights you have. And yes, you have those laws in the USA too.

Interesting article from the other day in The Atlantic (first published in 1857) about Martial (not marshall) Law and the virus crisis:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Interesting article from the other day in The Atlantic (first published in 1857) about Martial (not marshall) Law and the virus crisis:

A very good article. The USA has many checks and balances and while someone might misuse Martial Law, I'm pretty sure it would be short lived.

steelheadbum

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Tak
Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6PAZ
I’ve come to realize the US will never be able to support a national lockdown, financially and democratically. We can’t reasonably support all the unemployed without proper infrastructure and nothing in this country is universal. The byproduct is the “hot spot” stay at home orders that can reasonably do well with others following general guidance.

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

So I work for a privately owned (not corporate) hotel on the coast in Oregon, the area is a vacation destination. I work in the Maintenance department (my boss calls it Engineering, but there are absolutely no trains involved). I interact with guests daily, as they loose their minds when they travel and insist their toilets don't flush or their lights don't turn on. Unless, of course, I come and flip a switch or shift the tank lever to the flush position. The hotel has a restaurant, lounge and indoor pools, all requiring constant maintenance/repairs.

So, we've "closed". Except for me, and a couple others. Yet people constantly come to "just" go to the gift shop (no, we're closed), or "just" use the restrooms (no, we're closed. Housekeeping is laid off and there's no one to clean).

Supposedly, the hotel can still rent to emergency workers, health care professionals traveling to a job, and truck drivers.

So now, just like selfish pet owners that have convinced themselves that their dog is a "service" dog... We've got these a-holes claiming to be "a nurse traveling to her assignment", but she keeps extending her stay (and has every belonging she owns in her car... and has now been removed from property), and the "medical supply provider" in his Benz, with his girlfriend, who got hammered & were smoking pot out on the deck having a good ol' time and not delivering jack sh!t.

So guess how I feel about all that crap? I'm busy as a one legged man in an ass kicking contest trying to get some projects done before payroll money is gone, and instead, I'm having to go into rooms that liar slobs have occupied to remove their garbage, kill the heater & close windows, etc. We have no housekeeping department any more, so I'm it.

Why do people feel the need to be so f*<king special? Why can't people just have some restraint & respect? Why do people seem to think that policies don't apply to them?

And why, oh why can't those scumbag liars be required to provide certification documentation for their "service" dog??

Rant over.

Reactions: Tripin75 and 702FJC

harley97

Rank III

Advocate I

Sun City, AZ, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Hinton
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DKV
Service Branch
USCG
Actually I agree with most of post #28. I am not telling people to not follow the law or to interact with others, quite the opposite actually. I think we all need to stay away from each other and think people that are congregating are idiots.

The point of my posts is to ensure people know the law and their rights instead of creating mass hysteria. In the United States, we have multiple Constitutional amendments that prevent the government from confining our movement with out probable cause of a crime, due process, or, in this situation a pandemic. Specifically in a pandemic the government can restrict movement or quarantine people that are sick or have been exposed to the virus. They cannot restrict everyone's movements, and have not done so.

If you read the orders they all stay stay at home, but that is a recommendation or suggestion. The enforceable parts are to not congregate and not go to places that are closed. You can, and now will probably be cited and fined for violating those parts. Simply leaving your house is not a violation of any law.

Now, in the case of Martial Law, then the government could restrict everyone's movements and use the military to enforce this with Congressional approval. Normally in the US, the military is barred from enforcing laws on the citizens per the Posse Comitatus Act (except for the Coast Guard).

Martial Law in the US can only be declared if the government is unable to maintain public order. This is defined as the people are violent or rioting. The Insurrection Act specifically outlines the conditions martial law can be declared. It does say during a Pandemic, but short of riots breaking out throughout the country, the President and Congress cannot legally declare Martial Law.

Again, my point in all of this is making sure people know their rights. The government and media are choosing to word things in a way that seems like you are not allowed to leave your home, except in certain circumstances, without penalty. That is simply not true. They do this because a large majority of people do not know their rights or the law. I do think people should minimize leaving their homes. But, if they want to or need to go out for whatever reason, they should know they can without fear. They still need to maintain social distancing, but that is easily doable, especially by those people in this community who like to be in the middle of nowhere.

As a side note, I enjoy chatting with people from other countries. We all have similar laws, but in the US the Constitution is the most important thing. We always default to it and do not override it. I would hate to see the day the government actually attempts to put aside the Constitution, that will be the day of our next Civil War. I do not want to see that ever happen. I talked to a guy from England last week. He asked if we value our Constitution over human lives. I told him yes, right or wrong, that is how important that piece of paper is to this country.

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
So I work for a privately owned (not corporate) hotel on the coast in Oregon, the area is a vacation destination. I work in the Maintenance department (my boss calls it Engineering, but there are absolutely no trains involved). I interact with guests daily, as they loose their minds when they travel and insist their toilets don't flush or their lights don't turn on. Unless, of course, I come and flip a switch or shift the tank lever to the flush position. The hotel has a restaurant, lounge and indoor pools, all requiring constant maintenance/repairs.

So, we've "closed". Except for me, and a couple others. Yet people constantly come to "just" go to the gift shop (no, we're closed), or "just" use the restrooms (no, we're closed. Housekeeping is laid off and there's no one to clean).

Supposedly, the hotel can still rent to emergency workers, health care professionals traveling to a job, and truck drivers.

So now, just like selfish pet owners that have convinced themselves that their dog is a "service" dog... We've got these a-holes claiming to be "a nurse traveling to her assignment", but she keeps extending her stay (and has every belonging she owns in her car... and has now been removed from property), and the "medical supply provider" in his Benz, with his girlfriend, who got hammered & were smoking pot out on the deck having a good ol' time and not delivering jack sh!t.

So guess how I feel about all that crap? I'm busy as a one legged man in an ass kicking contest trying to get some projects done before payroll money is gone, and instead, I'm having to go into rooms that liar slobs have occupied to remove their garbage, kill the heater & close windows, etc. We have no housekeeping department any more, so I'm it.

Why do people feel the need to be so f*<king special? Why can't people just have some restraint & respect? Why do people seem to think that policies don't apply to them?

And why, oh why can't those scumbag liars be required to provide certification documentation for their "service" dog??

Rant over.
I feel for you Marty. Try to find something positive each day to help get you through. Take care man.

Reactions: Munga Brown

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines

Rant over.
just dont shine a UV light on the sheets when you go in the rooms....

Reactions: Munga Brown

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

just dont shine a UV light on the sheets when you go in the rooms....
There are guests that do exactly that. What's worse, is that when we are doing our annual room repairs, we tend to find things that housekeeping has missed. It's disgusting. The sheets are fine. Linens get washed. It's the carpet, walls, mattresses...

In the 11 years I've worked there, there has only been one case of bed bugs. A very minor case (four insects found) confined to one room. We caught it early. Pest control comes in an heats the room up to 10 degrees less than the temperature of the sun for 12 hours. Then we call in a dog. I had no idea that there are scent dogs trained to sniff out bed bugs. They come from Portland at about $350 an hour.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I am glad I live in a place where people are taking this pretty serious I don't see any of the stuff many of you are talking about. I have been wearing a mask everywhere in public for weeks. OK only place I go is to the Grocery store maybe once a week... lol
I drive to check on things once or twice a week at work when I am bored. I have a 14K sqft shop I am the only one in it so I am pretty safe at work plus plenty of room and tools to work on my truck there.

If I want to get off road BLM land is only a mile and a half from my house. Unlike people in most states like NC, FL, LA, CA , NY and most of the country, here in Nevada you can do hundreds of miles off pavement and not see anyone else period... It is a good reason to carry a Sat phone and a Ham radio in the rig.

Right now we are staying home and have been on a self quarantine for over a month now. I had a case of viral pneumonia and did not want to risk my health or anyone else's health then this started up so, it has been a while.

I hope everyone who is complaining about people getting out on trails are being responsible not hypocrites and are responsible enough to wear a mask anytime they leave their house.

Last edited:

702FJC

Rank III

Contributor III

Las Vegas
First Name
Joe
Last Name
R
Going out in the desert or wilderness near you BUT away from other people to take the kids out in the fresh air and sunshine is good for everyone's mental and physical health. It is putting nobody at risk, period.

Wear gloves when you gas up and a mask when you need to go inside somewhere to resupply and do your best. And remember, your best may not be someone else's best.

Good luck out there, hope you all are safe!

Reactions: Charles M

l_vandyke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dodgetown, NC, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Vandyke
Member #

I’ve got the camping bug bad. And the fishing bug as well. Spring is prime time for trout fishing and I’ve been waiting for it all winter. Upgraded the roof top tent and put some time and money into the Tacoma and my fly fishing gear. Was fully prepared to go and now this stuff started. Looking at the restrictions in NC, they encourage outdoor recreation as long as safe distances are maintained. But I live right on the VA state line, and the places I go camping and fishing are all in Virginia about 2-3 hours away in the mountains. But they’re all incredibly remote areas. The only people I ever see are the one or two people that go with me (usually in a separate vehicle). I’m not sure about VA but what I interpreted from the NC lockdown is we can go out and do these things as long as we don’t go to any places that are closed and we maintain social distancing. Most campgrounds across the US are closed. I read on the VDGIF that the national forest areas are still open to fishing and hiking but didn’t see anything about camping in the national forest areas.

Reactions: Charles M

702FJC

Rank III

Contributor III

Las Vegas
First Name
Joe
Last Name
R
I’ve got the camping bug bad. And the fishing bug as well. Spring is prime time for trout fishing and I’ve been waiting for it all winter. Upgraded the roof top tent and put some time and money into the Tacoma and my fly fishing gear. Was fully prepared to go and now this stuff started. Looking at the restrictions in NC, they encourage outdoor recreation as long as safe distances are maintained. But I live right on the VA state line, and the places I go camping and fishing are all in Virginia about 2-3 hours away in the mountains. But they’re all incredibly remote areas. The only people I ever see are the one or two people that go with me (usually in a separate vehicle). I’m not sure about VA but what I interpreted from the NC lockdown is we can go out and do these things as long as we don’t go to any places that are closed and we maintain social distancing. Most campgrounds across the US are closed. I read on the VDGIF that the national forest areas are still open to fishing and hiking but didn’t see anything about camping in the national forest areas.

Sounds like some serious social distancing right there! Check on at large camping in the national forest and go enjoy yourself!

Relic6.3

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Pat
Last Name
Crowell
Member #

See if you can get in touch with @TerryD He took a few of us on a trail back the beginning of March, I think he tracked the route on Gaia and may have a .gpx file. We were just North of Roanoak & I -64, went onto Pads Creek Road, off of VA633, then branched off onto Pads Creek. The creek ran alongside the trail and he mentioned that it was stocked with trout. Along the trail we also saw 3-4 disbursed campsites that would make a nice get-a-way and scratch your fishing itch.

Reactions: TerryD