Rank II

Enthusiast III

Lemoore, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Mattingly
Member #

Hey guys I hope everyone is doing good! With this whole lock down we had to cancel a flight as well as a family vacation. Soo back up plan I was thinking of running out to Alabama Hills for a few days? Has anyone gone while cal. Is on this shelter in place?

Reactions: Tatankaroo

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

Going out anywhere at this time practically nation-wide is disobeying shelter in place ordinances. Sure, arguments can be made about the impact of being relatively isolated in a wilderness setting to the spread of Covid-19 but you have to consider the potential of exposure due to the unexpected. It's irresponsible to assume you won't be in contact with anyone while you're out. Rangers, other campers, responders if you get sick/injured, roadside assistance if you break down. Every 30 minutes there's a new trip report or youtube video posted of people "social distancing" in the woods; I suspect every single user of this forum would love nothing more than to take advantage of "working remotely" and hit the trails, there wouldn't be a vacant spot along a mountain dirt road in my entire state if that happened.

I do not know if I personally buy into the fact that I'm a greater risk to myself or others on the forest service roads, but I DO know these recommendations are coming from people that know the situation better than I do (not necessarily meaning the politicians).

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Way too many folks have had the same idea for too many weeks already during this virus crisis. It's caused more than a few problems, both for those seeking escape and for the communities and places they're going to and through.

Like the reasons @Pretzel stated above, and is obvious in abundant other posts here and other adventure forums by myself and others, staying put for the time being is the best, and wisest, thing to do. Those that ignore it, think it does not apply to them, or run against it out of spite, are the reasons Stay At Home orders will last longer and be extended.

It's a great time to work on your gear and skills at home, spend good time with family, get out in the community in safe physical-distancing ways where allowed, and make plans for the future.

As the OB vid the other night was titled "Adventure Can Wait."

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive!

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

The world is on shelter in place.... you can do this.

Social media shaming has been localized so far but I expect to see plenty of social media shaming of those who feel entitled and keep on, business as usual.

This physical distancing thing really does work. We have dropped the "social" word and substituted "physical" mostly because our youth uses "social media" which confuses the issue. Canadas curve is flattening dramatically. No one gets non essential medical treatment. Banking appointments are all by phone now. No one gets an MRI or X-ray unless it is life threatening. Doctors appointment are rarely in person. ALL council meetings, board meeting are confernce calls. The fine for not maintaining that 6' physical distance is $25K.

Teaching on line is pretty common for school kids. My wife, a retired teacher, spends an hour a day skyping with our grandson in the UK. I expect, if we do the home alone thing well we will have a great July 1st / July 4th Celebration. I'm scared of places like Florida who are only just getting it. July 4th in Florida might be mass funerals for those huge evengelical churches who met for worship last Sunday.

Last edited:

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
a lot of folk down here are out and about despite the shelter in place. i see quite a few trucks going down the road pulling their boat...i'm sure it is ok for ONE person to be out in their boat, BUT there are 1000 people each thinking THEY should be the ONE...so you can see where that leads. i'm sure we will have to have the national guard down here patroling before long because so many people refuse to listen

Reactions: taliv and Road

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

The virus lives up to 48 hours on hard plastic. Every gas nozzle you touch, every ATM you use....

Wash yer hands everytime you come into the house. Wash them properly like you just swept a chimney.

Dollarphotoclub_72823038.jpg

Reactions: Saints&Sailors

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I feel your pain, with all this time on my hands I would like nothing more than to take my dog and head to the hills and go camping and hang out out by a camp fire. I did take a trip just before they mandated the stay at home order. I took my Jeep and trailer up to my friends cabin. We passed through several mountain towns and only stopped to walk my dog. The thought of the possibility of passing a it in a area that just doesn't have the capacity to help thier own people I feel would just be irresponsible. But once the stay at home was ordered we have not left our home except to get groceries. My wife was on vacation but is now back to work (grocery industry) and I have an extra week before I return to limited duty at work. In fact I am scheduled to work just 3 weeks out of the next 2 months. So cabin fever will reach its peak by the end of May for sure. Trying to keep busy at home getting things done so once we can get out there is nothing getting in the way of adventure.

harley97

Rank III

Advocate I

Sun City, AZ, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Hinton
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DKV
Service Branch
USCG
These are not shelter in place ordinances. That implies they are enforceable. They are not enforceable as that would be a violation of our Constitutional rights. They important thing is to stay away from other people. All of the places that are being shut down are being closed because large groups of people were congregating.

According to the WHO and the CDC there have been no confirmed cases of anyone getting the virus from any method other than human to human contact through the air. Yes, they say it lives on different materials for different amounts of time, but no one has gotten sick from touching something.

I am not saying we should all go out, but the disinformation and people overreacting is ridiculous. Be smart, CDC advises washing hands, stay away from people and clean objects you regularly handle. Thats it, no mask, gloves, gas pumps etc. Thats all random "experts" putting in their 2 cents. Will any of that hurt, probably not, but its not necessary.

If you want to go out, dont go in a group, dont go to closed places and try to minimize activities that may lead to interaction with others. Not the time for extreme or dangerous activities. Go assuming that you are on your own and need to be self sufficient.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I'm not going to take any chances. I would hate to be responsible for spreading this to anyone let alone a loved one.
In Colorado certain counties have shut down access to a lot of the back country where you must be a local to access the area. Essential businesses have issued employees papers that state you are employed as such. They want everyone to stay put and only venture out for necessities, I want this to be all over with by summertime or at least the shelter in place. Especially here in Colorado where I'm less than a 30 minute drive and I'm in the mountains exploring. Usually twice a month even in the winter.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I'm just taking this time to go through my rig with a fine tooth comb. Super good inspections of everything. full fluid changes, torque check, re-configurations.... Just getting ready for the next trip, once all this craziness is all settled
That's what I should do, instead I have been working on a long list of projects that have been put off, knocking them out one by one. We had a large tree taken out about a month ago and just before things got to where they are now they were able to grind the stump out. Now I can fill it with dirt and get the grass seed planted. I also have a little more landscaping work to do. Have all the materials already so no excuses. And then I'll turn my attention to some fab work that I desperately need to tackle, frame stiffeners, so I can get my t-case skid-plate installed. And work on my rocker panel/sliders I've been putting off. I have to long of a to-do-list.

Reactions: Lifes2short4BS

Lifes2short4BS

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Half Moon Bay, Ca
First Name
Scotty
Last Name
N
Member #

That's what I should do, instead I have been working on a long list of projects that have been put off, knocking them out one by one. We had a large tree taken out about a month ago and just before things got to where they are now they were able to grind the stump out. Now I can fill it with dirt and get the grass seed planted. I also have a little more landscaping work to do. Have all the materials already so no excuses. And then I'll turn my attention to some fab work that I desperately need to tackle, frame stiffeners, so I can get my t-case skid-plate installed. And work on my rocker panel/sliders I've been putting off. I have to long of a to-do-list.
You and me both!! I still have to install the polycarbonate panels on the greenhouse that I framed out 2 YEARS ago

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I know a few people who are hitting the trails here in Ca and I might go with them since where they go its not closed but we keep our social distance from each other. I shelter in place all week all I do is go to work and go home.

Reactions: 702FJC

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

a lot of folk down here are out and about despite the shelter in place. i see quite a few trucks going down the road pulling their boat...i'm sure it is ok for ONE person to be out in their boat, BUT there are 1000 people each thinking THEY should be the ONE...so you can see where that leads. i'm sure we will have to have the national guard down here patroling before long because so many people refuse to listen
I agree - an awful lot of folk thinking "Oh, just this once isn't going to hurt anything!" If even only 1% of the population in an area thinks that, it amounts to a considerable number of folks thinking they're the only one heading out.

We're still allowed to get out and about in vehicles here on the coast of Maine with household members only on board, and only to and from essential biz and for essential purposes. Can get out and walk, bike, jog, and hike too, in areas still open, though with proper physical distancing from anyone not in your household. It's actually being actively encouraged. Fines and up to six months jail, though, for complete disregard and gathering, etc.

Most businesses are closed other than take out, convenience/fuel stores, USPS, and big box home supplies. Folks are also still allowed to go to and from their own place of biz even if closed to tend to payroll, maintenance, etc. Also allowed to get supplies for working from home. So, some traffic still on the road in town, though strip malls and downtown are pretty much closed up.

I'm taking advantage of the 'orders' not being overly strict, yet, to get stuff out of storage to work on at home and set up for making prints, sew masks, etc. Figure I can try to make some money while stuck here and do some good for the area. My kid and I just spent a couple hours out there and did not interact or even talk with another soul, nor touch a single public thing other than the storage unit door.

If the Stay At Home orders continue to get stricter, I'm going to be glad I got what I did now from storage.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive!