wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
I use this compact GSI Outdoors Glacier cookset as a holdover from my backpacking days, and while it is a quality stainless cookset that packs away easily in my storage box (which I like a lot) I am now often frustrated with it while overlanding because I have to keep using that fiddly pot gripper. I now want a similar sized cookset but something with handles that makes it easier to use on my Coleman stove or firepit grill.

I do most of my main dish, meat or vegetable cooking on my cast iron pans so just need a replacement cookset to boil water and cook things like rice and pasta. Any suggestions? I still want it to pack as small as possible but I can accomodate some helpful handles now that i am not a backpacker. I'll always have the Glacier system when space truly is at a premium.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
This is what I use from Stanley. I like having all of the bits packable. I am able to store some items inside of it since I don't use everything included all the time. Granted, this replaced using normal kitchen cookware, but I like how it is still versatile enough to use in the kitchen both at camp and at home (which I do). While I love my cast iron, I can say I'm good with cooking on this kit at camp. Hope this helps! I honestly started with my backpacking/bikepacking setup to begin with, but when I added in more people, the kitchen cookware was a must until we could figure out a replacement.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have used these for years, you need to watch the heat on the handles but they work great. 20 plus years on the set I have. The handle are always fixed. I can cook for up to six with my grill or frypan all day long. The coffee cup is a measuring cup.

Reactions: RSmothers45

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I have been looking into this set. It's pricey but looks bomber. Anyone here use these pans?

I got the non-induction set for my birthday. I added the storage bag. About as compact as you can get. Expensive but also well made. If you can afford it go for it! I have only used it on one trip but more will be forthcoming. Being able to remove a handle on a pan makes all the difference in compact storage. I still carry a cast iron pan but I am trying to make all of my gear more compact. If you don't care about that there are lots of cheaper options with traditional pans. Green pans are good.

Reactions: Minjin

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I use this compact GSI Outdoors Glacier cookset as a holdover from my backpacking days, and while it is a quality stainless cookset that packs away easily in my storage box (which I like a lot) I am now often frustrated with it while overlanding because I have to keep using that fiddly pot gripper. I now want a similar sized cookset but something with handles that makes it easier to use on my Coleman stove or firepit grill.

I do most of my main dish, meat or vegetable cooking on my cast iron pans so just need a replacement cookset to boil water and cook things like rice and pasta. Any suggestions? I still want it to pack as small as possible but I can accomodate some helpful handles now that i am not a backpacker. I'll always have the Glacier system when space truly is at a premium.
Have you looked into the GSI Basecamp Cookwares?

Reactions: RoarinRow

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
This is what I use from Stanley. I like having all of the bits packable. I am able to store some items inside of it since I don't use everything included all the time. Granted, this replaced using normal kitchen cookware, but I like how it is still versatile enough to use in the kitchen both at camp and at home (which I do). While I love my cast iron, I can say I'm good with cooking on this kit at camp. Hope this helps! I honestly started with my backpacking/bikepacking setup to begin with, but when I added in more people, the kitchen cookware was a must until we could figure out a replacement.
I'll second this recommendation, although, it may be bigger than you're looking for. The big pot is probably 10" or so. Then it has bowls, plates, silverware, spatula, serving spoon, and another pot inside.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
We have a MSR Alpine pot we've been using to go with our cast iron pan. It works great. We also keep a small GSI S/S cup in the kit that I use to drink my coffee or do small amounts of sides like green beans or chili for hot dogs.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
I use the GSI Pinnacle Camper for the family. It works very well. It's compact and stores well in my kitchen box.
View attachment 136815
We also use the GSI Pinnacle Camper set for backpacking when we're out as a family and really like it. My only complaint (as with any light weight cooking gear) is the thin bottom has hot spots and can scorch things easily. We also added the Crossover Kitchen Kit which packs in the middle in place of 2 of the bowl/cups.
1580146227814.jpeg
I have been looking into this set. It's pricey but looks bomber. Anyone here use these pans?

I have not used that set, but have only heard great things about it.

Reactions: Stumpalama

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
Has anyone here used the STANSPORT - Heavy Duty 7-Piece Stainless Steel Clad Cookware Set? The description reads like it's similar to the Magma set, but not near as expensive.

71PClrH4fSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I have the same one and like it. I have swapped out the sporks for better (MSI?) units. This and a small cast iron pan and I am GTG.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I have the same one and like it. I have swapped out the sporks for better (MSI?) units. This and a small cast iron pan and I am GTG.
I have some titanium sporks that we use instead of the plastic ones. I would prefer all metal (either titanium or food grade stainless) to be able to do the boil cleaning method I used to do when backpacking when a dry clean wasn't easy. But it works. I tend to try to make meals that are easy to cook and easy on cleanup if it can be helped.

Trillium23

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Kingman, AZ, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Stevens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WGU
I use the Magma set in the 4runner and Snow Peak when the JK goes out. Magma set is great but a little on the heavy side.

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
I have the Magma Ceramica set. Great quality. I don't normally use non-stick at home but quick cleanup with little water won out for the outdoors.

cyrus799

Rank I

Contributor III

United States
First Name
Cyrus
Last Name
Juliet
Member #

We recently purchased a STANSPORT cookware set and are very pleased with it. The set comes with a detachable handle, which is initially for the frying pan. Completely nested, causing the entire set to take up little space.