Contractor/Utility Rack for Overlanding?

• HTML tutorial

Bobo

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Bay Area
Member #

Hey All,

We are just starting our foray into the overland world. We camp, though not as often as I would like, but have not done any overlanding yet.

As I look and price items to build our vehicle, I thought about using a contractor/utility rack to carry a roof top tent and maybe some recovery gear (I don’t have one just looking at them as a possible option).

Does anyone know if that would work for overlanding? Any possible negatives?

Our vehicle is a 2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn; 5’7” bed. Stock vehicle.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Hey All,

We are just starting our foray into the overland world. We camp, though not as often as I would like, but have not done any overlanding yet.

As I look and price items to build our vehicle, I thought about using a contractor/utility rack to carry a roof top tent and maybe some recovery gear (I don’t have one just looking at them as a possible option).

I don't se why that wouldn't work. Might have to have a welder add a few bits and pieces but I see a lot of them for sale on Craig's list and very reasonably priced.
I personally like stuff I make better than the aftermarket products that are overpriced anyway. Go for it, if it's too tall you can always cut and lower it to suit your needs. Keep in mind the RTT are very expensive and I don't think very family friendly so a good quality Gazelle tent with cots will be a lot more comfy and easy to put up and take down by one person. Just MO for what it's worth.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

You'll most likely want to add crossmembers to the rack. They bolt on and you can place them where you want. if you add a RTT make sure the tent and the upper side member will work together. I had a custom rack made and love it. It's 12' long and has 5 crossmembers the upper side member is higher than the standard.

MOVE.OVERland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Kelley
Member #

Service Branch
Army vet
I Also drive a ram 1500 with the 5'7" bed. I have a roll up cover that is nice to keep everything in the bed covered and clean when mudding. But I have been browsing for about a year for (used) camper shells or racks for it, only to come up short..... literally. It is so common to find anything for the 6.5 bed but not very much for ours. Also it seems like anything new is just as expensive or more for the short beds vs the 6.5 or 8 foot beds.received_462929264108147.jpg

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Hey All,

Nothing is more practical or affordable than commercial gear.
Add the words "Recreational Vehicle" ...... add 100% to the price.
Buy commercial... you get shit people make money with... it MUST be a good buy.
Say recreation...... target on the forehead. 100% markup... paint it in resale red... gotcha.

Buy commercial, commercial guys NEED long life.
Buy recreational, you get resale red cus they know you'll use it 10 times.

Will it work?
yeah, you want an RTT buy a contractor grade roof rack.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Our vehicle is a 2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn; 5’7” bed.
you bought the elephant
years ago the choice was 8' or 6.5'
a 5.6' bed...... more common everyday but still a white elephant...
That said, any welding shop can weld a fabulous rack to fit.

Just "Keep It Simple Stupid"

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I Also drive a ram 1500 with the 5'7" bed. I have a roll up cover that is nice to keep everything in the bed covered and clean when mudding. But I have been browsing for about a year for (used) camper shells or racks for it, only to come up short..... literally. It is so common to find anything for the 6.5 bed but not very much for ours. Also it seems like anything new is just as expensive or more for the short beds vs the 6.5 or 8 foot beds.View attachment 117725
Maybe the better way to go is with a trailer of some sort. Might be easier to load and unload too, keeping your truck free of the massive stuff like RTT etc. !

Reactions: MOVE.OVERland

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
If a fullsize truck struggles with an rtt, it's trade in time.

Fabbing your own rack might be the best option. Ladder racks are great for ladders, but for an rtt, I want a rack that bolts to the bed floor like a Leitner.

Last edited:

KB Voodoo

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Olean, NY
Hey All,

We make a contractor style rack that will carry a tent, and also work with tonneau covers: MAX Modular UTILITY RACK for TONNEAU COVERS (URTC), Fits All Trucks — MAX Modular Truck Bed Racks

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign