Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
I enjoy seeing Kalispell while reading stuff. I was born and raised there.
Returning to visit after nearly 13 years this summer (‘19).

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Laud i was trying to send you a private message not sure how to do it? We might be able to help each other along the way? If you know how PM me.
go to the Inbox upper right side click on it then start a new conversation

White Knight Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North York, Toronto, ON, Canada
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Phillips
Member #

This trail is on my bucket list to do. Did Expedition OverLand do this trail a few years back for Hema Maps? I know they have travels from the top of North America to the bottom of South America.

Rollin Dirty Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mesa, AZ
First Name
Jim
Last Name
G
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7RDO
This trail is on my bucket list to do. Did Expedition OverLand do this trail a few years back for Hema Maps? I know they have travels from the top of North America to the bottom of South America.
Motorcycle guys have been running this trail for years and years. You can find tracks and resources by the gigabyte over at ADVRider.com

Dragon Lady and I did this on bikes two years ago using tracks linked from there, and all but one quarter-mile section was doable by truck. In fact that section was above her ability, so we re-routed anyway. We're doing it again this year, in the truck, pulling the trailer and we'll be following the same route again.

My point is, a lot of people are asking about who on this site has tracks and no good answers coming forward, while there are several other resources out there with huge piles of information on this route.

Reactions: Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No

Tudelum48

Rank I

Traveler I

Anticipating our CDR trip coming up. Looks like its going to be just 2 couples going though. A lot of jeep work going on from lift kits to axle seals and renewing most hoses.
A couple things Id like another opinion on. Were looking at one stretch of 275 miles between fuel stops. To be comfortable were going to have to carry at least 5 extra gallons of fuel. I'm looking at the Moryder side mount jerrycan holder that carry's the can in front of the doors. I haven't found much input on them. Were running stock rear bumpers and spare tire carrier. The other part I hope wont offend anyone but I am concerned about safety on the southern border. News has a tendency to hype things up. If it was just the guys I wouldn't hesitate, but its going to be the ladies this time.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
Anticipating our CDR trip coming up. Looks like its going to be just 2 couples going though. A lot of jeep work going on from lift kits to axle seals and renewing most hoses.
A couple things Id like another opinion on. Were looking at one stretch of 275 miles between fuel stops. To be comfortable were going to have to carry at least 5 extra gallons of fuel. I'm looking at the Moryder side mount jerrycan holder that carry's the can in front of the doors. I haven't found much input on them. Were running stock rear bumpers and spare tire carrier. The other part I hope wont offend anyone but I am concerned about safety on the southern border. News has a tendency to hype things up. If it was just the guys I wouldn't hesitate, but its going to be the ladies this time.
I have the MorRyde can holders, and I love them. The right side will not work with most snorkels though. You’ll be fine at the southern border.

Rollin Dirty Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mesa, AZ
First Name
Jim
Last Name
G
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7RDO
The other part I hope wont offend anyone but I am concerned about safety on the southern border. News has a tendency to hype things up. If it was just the guys I wouldn't hesitate, but its going to be the ladies this time.
Generally the border is pretty safe. Knowledge is power and the county sheriffs and Border Patrol are very generous with intel. In southern New Mexico, contact the sheriff's office of any county you enter and ask about known smuggling routes and areas to avoid. Once you're within 50 miles of the border, contact the local Border Patrol sector and they'll let you know the same. Also, any deputies or BP officers you run into, stop and chat with them. It helps if they know you're there and what you're doing and your route. The BP officers on the ground will have much more current intel than the folks on the phone.

As always, anywhere you go, you and you alone are responsible for your own safety and protection. Be smart, don't be a dick....to anyone....ever, and you will be just fine.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
Generally the border is pretty safe. Knowledge is power and the county sheriffs and Border Patrol are very generous with intel. In southern New Mexico, contact the sheriff's office of any county you enter and ask about known smuggling routes and areas to avoid. Once you're within 50 miles of the border, contact the local Border Patrol sector and they'll let you know the same. Also, any deputies or BP officers you run into, stop and chat with them. It helps if they know you're there and what you're doing and your route. The BP officers on the ground will have much more current intel than the folks on the phone.

As always, anywhere you go, you and you alone are responsible for your own safety and protection. Be smart, don't be a dick....to anyone....ever, and you will be just fine.
That’s some darn good advice right there. Wish more people would think that way.

gvb40

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Anselmo Ca
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Vonbuchau
Ahh, okay, well, the only Continental Divide Trail I know of is for hiking, not vehicles, though parts of it are largely walking along roads. I have friends who have done the whole thing as part of their quest to do the Triple Crown of hiking; the Appalachian Trail, the Pacific Crest Trail, and the Continental Divide Trail. One guy has done all three.

There's a cool Appalachian Byway, though, 2400 miles long, that is for vehicles and needs 4x4 for most of it, that sort of parallels the Appalachian Trail. I have some of the maps and files for that and plan on doing stretches to check it out, then perhaps thru-drive it next year.

It was developed by @hmboverland:

Hope you find what you're looking for.
Misleading information. Hema Explorer has mapped out the part of the CDT that is drivable. It criss crosses the trail.

Tudelum48

Rank I

Traveler I

Its the bicycle trail that has been ran for years and now people are running it on motorcycles and 4x4's. Were going for the second time in a little less than a month in 4X4's

Tudelum48

Rank I

Traveler I

Were heading out on the CDR trip Monday July the 8th from Kentucky. If you see a Red TJ and a Yellow TJ Jeep along the way be sure to say Hi. Were starting west of El Paso and heading north. Wish us old retired people luck. We plan on keeping a log book of our trip to maybe help someone else if they decided to try the CDR.

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
Were heading out on the CDR trip Monday July the 8th from Kentucky. If you see a Red TJ and a Yellow TJ Jeep along the way be sure to say Hi. Were starting west of El Paso and heading north. Wish us old retired people luck. We plan on keeping a log book of our trip to maybe help someone else if they decided to try the CDR.
Will be north of Polebridge at the gate in a couple of days. After that, we are scrapping our plans and wandering freely for a few weeks. Enjoy y’all!!! Rubber side down.