Condiments.. How and what do you pack?

• HTML tutorial

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

I did a quick search and didn't really find any thing on this. So, here goes.

1. Do you all spoon pack small amounts into small containers?
2. Do you buy the small bottles of say.. Mustard, Mayonnaise, relish and so on for the outing you are doing. Then chuck them when done?
3. Or.... Grab some when at the gas station and go with that?

I am posting this as to the storabilty and use of said Condiments. That said, I take my lunch to work because I work in the field, and there is no set time I can choke it down. Wife will get some individual packets and throw them in the box some times and I like that. use them when I wanna and so on.

I have looked them up on the Amazon and can find anywhere from 10-25 packets for a not so bad price. but think more of a case for a smidge more (Example here and here.). Just thinking less in the cooler/fridge and clean up is easy.

Your thoughts and more, please.

~Bill.

RoboCop

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Katy, TX
Member #

I have two methods for my condiments.

1. Nalgene 1 oz and 2 oz bottles. I use these for olive oil and spices/herbs that get used regularly (salt & pepper).
2. Food Saver vacuum storage bags. Make any size packet you want. I use this method to divide my coffee into daily packs as well as for spices or herbs that will only be used at specific times. It's a bit time consuming but worth it when you're in the sticks, IMHO.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I did a quick search and didn't really find any thing on this. So, here goes.

2. Do you buy the small bottles of say.. Mustard, Mayonnaise, relish and so on for the outing you are doing. Then chuck them when done?

Your thoughts and more, please.

~Bill.
Hey Bill - unless you're super strapped for space, I'd just buy reasonably small-sized bottles of the various condiments you prefer and then take 'em home after camping, where you can finish them off or use the next time. I've found that to be the simplest, least expensive, and least wasteful for condiments, whether using a regular cooler or 12v fridge.

To answer your points individually:

- I've never found this to be helpful, personally, for condiments. Makes for messy containers to clean afterward, too, often wasting precious water in camp. Though I do like to use small, square or rectangular, resealable containers with full open tops like the Ziploc 1/2 cup 8 pack you find at the grocery or on Amazon for stuff like bacon grease, small leftovers, cut up peppers & onions, and things like olives and other items from opened jars and cans that are wasting space if half-full. The 1/2 cup size are only around 3 inches square and maybe 2 inches tall. I like the small square containers because they use space far more efficiently than round ones and I can put a mess of them into otherwise unused corners in my fridge. I've become much more efficient this way and have found I have far less that goes to waste. They're easy/quick to clean and easy to nest together and store when empty. I use a couple diff sizes and use them a lot. Also handy for taking along on day hikes.

- Yep, I buy small bottles of certain things like relish and jam and mayo, and have found over the years that even though perhaps a tad bit more per ounce cost-wise at the time of purchase, I waste less in the long run because I don't end up with out-dated or cruddy bottles I have to throw away. So, actually less-expensive in the long run.

No, with the small bottles I don't chuck 'em at the end of a trip if not empty. I keep them for next time, or give them to another camper if I'm not going to use it soon. It's actually another way having a 12v fridge helps me save money. I really hate throwing away anything that is still useful. Costs too much, too. Adds up to a lot of waste in food and pesos over time.

- I used to do this, a lot, and would grab extra condiments and even the better quality plastic spoons and forks from places like Wendy's. I've come to realize, though, that while it might be quicker and easier for us as consumers, it only serves to add a shitload to trash in the end, and I always had a bunch of tiny packets going to waste in some baggie somewhere. It also raises costs for the businesses we take it from, which in turn results in higher prices for food.

This is one of those "Well, it's just me and just this one time..." sort of justifications for many of us. Even if only 1% of all campers and travelers think this, it still adds up to a lot of extra expense for businesses and one hell of a large increase in amount of waste heading to landfills.
As for buying a case of condiment packages, unless you have a restaurant to give them to after camping, I'm betting a lot of it would go bad or be past a best-by date before you ever got through a case. I still dig up old condiment packages every once in while in odd places from past camping stashes that has gone bad and just shake my head as I throw it away. So, no more condiment packages for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hafaday

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

my pantry box non perishable houses quite a bit of stuff (shown in my list). My Engel MR Eclipse 40qt qt. 12v fridg\freez holds my refrigerated condiments like butter, mayo, ketchup, mustard, salad dressings, sour cream, salsa, BBQ sauce, vegetables, fruit & other items that need chilled.
004.JPG 03-12-2018 04;29;39PM.jpg 37142647_1746681008714099_2136989518182481920_n.jpg

Last edited:

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
Depends on what all is on the meal plan. Frank's RedHot is an absolute necessity, and I usually just toss the bottle in the fridge in the cooler, haven't had an issue yet. Mustard is one of the only other things we take on most trips, because brats are usually involved at some point. I have been known to hoard condiment packets for camping trips though.

Reactions: Nef and Hafaday

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

Thanks All, for the comments and suggestions.

This does hold true for the meal plan and how many are in the party that’s going.

Thanks again.

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Since mustard and ketchup don't have to be refrigerated I usually get small bottles and bring those, and use them up when I go home. Anything else I put in the fridge.

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
I make sure to get extra packets of condiments from fast food places...It is a habit I picked up from my ultralight backpacking days. A local pastrami place near me has a wide selection of condiments to chose from. So I grab a couple extra here and there when I eat out and drop them into the condiment bag.

interscope8

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lafayette IN
Member #

Taking from my scouting days when we planned our menus we brought condiments based on the meals we were going to fix. That way we don't need a pantry's worth of condiments, and only had what would be normal on the meals we were to fix. This was especially important because we were backpacking and didn't have a vehicle to haul a cooler with a 48oz bottle of ketchup etc :) So, I always kept one of those Ozark Trails spice wheels in my pack because a little spice can turn a meal around easy. On top of that I would frequent dining courts, gas stations, or fast food joints and take a borderline gross amount of condiments to keep with our food bag. Just the basics, ketchup, mustard, relish, mayo.

Side note: An easy trail snack for a hike or what have you is tuna salad on crackers. We used the foilpacks of tuna and mixed in a pack or 2 of relish and mayo and used crackers to scoop it out of the pack. All the waste products fit in the foilpack and it required no utensils to fix or eat.

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

I make sure to get extra packets of condiments from fast food places...It is a habit I picked up from my ultralight backpacking days. A local pastrami place near me has a wide selection of condiments to chose from. So I grab a couple extra here and there when I eat out and drop them into the condiment bag.
Is said place named after something you put on your head?
:innocent:

Reactions: NightCrawler

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Kinda on the lines of what @Road said, I buy small mustard and may then re-use in the house or get rid of they are not that expensive. Also I do have small packets of different hot sauces that my kids get me when they are on assignments for work during the summer, usually a big hit when making fajitas. Im hopping they get me some small packets of BBQ sauce some day that would be the best :grimacing:

Reactions: Road

JimInBC

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

I use a combination of repackaged and small store bottles. I always bring a bottle of Cholula and a bottle of Valentina, you see I live in a divided house. There are a variety of refillable resealable squeeze bottles that I had from backpacking, I use these for what ever the menu calls for. Mustard, hot sauce and ketchup are in original store bottles of a medium size. Oil is what I always do not bring enough of so am trying to work out better solution, most off the shelf bottles to not seal well enough.
If a small store bought bottle works well I will keep and reuse until it no longer keeps its seal.

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

I use a combination of repackaged and small store bottles. I always bring a bottle of Cholula and a bottle of Valentina, you see I live in a divided house. There are a variety of refillable resealable squeeze bottles that I had from backpacking, I use these for what ever the menu calls for. Mustard, hot sauce and ketchup are in original store bottles of a medium size. Oil is what I always do not bring enough of so am trying to work out better solution, most off the shelf bottles to not seal well enough.
If a small store bought bottle works well I will keep and reuse until it no longer keeps its seal.
You should try a small screw top jar of an oil that is in a solid state at room temps.
Something like Coconut Oil would work well, plus it is pretty healthy AND it won't go rancid when stored for long periods of time. I've had a large jar of it in my pantry for almost two years.
You could also use lard (animal based like Mexican Manteca or plant based like Crisco shortening), or a spray variety. The spray has an almost indefinite shelf life, though it does take up more space.

If it is just storage that is the issue, I love using those small 8oz water bottles. I use those to bring Tequila with me on trips. :astonished:
Disposable water bottles are great bc as you use the contents, you can collapse them to save space and reduce the air inside (Ie. Less oxidation).

JimInBC

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

You should try a small screw top jar of an oil that is in a solid state at room temps.
Something like Coconut Oil would work well, plus it is pretty healthy AND it won't go rancid when stored for long periods of time. I've had a large jar of it in my pantry for almost two years.
You could also use lard (animal based like Mexican Manteca or plant based like Crisco shortening), or a spray variety. The spray has an almost indefinite shelf life, though it does take up more space.

If it is just storage that is the issue, I love using those small 8oz water bottles. I use those to bring Tequila with me on trips. :astonished:
Disposable water bottles are great bc as you use the contents, you can collapse them to save space and reduce the air inside (Ie. Less oxidation).
I had not thought about Coconut oil. That is a great idea. Will test it out in cooking before next trip.
Manteca leads me to thinking I need to make tortillas and sopes on the next trip, I already have the cast iron griddle.
Tequila yes that is in there too, but usually in its original bottle.
It is not the storage, but the times it has crushed or leaked.
Thanks DividedSky for the ideas.

southernfire97

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pascagoula, MS
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Conner
Member #

Where I work, we have a cafeteria. I get all the guys to grab assorted condiment packets (mayo, mustard, ketchup,hot sauce, etc.) and keep them in a gallon ziplock in our fridge. I just throw it in the cooler when we are packing up. I keep olive oil in a hot sauce bottle with the shaker top on it. That’s how we have been camping for the last few years and it has worked well for us.

OB# 4392

Reactions: Hafaday and JimInBC

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Another vote for smaller travel sizes, as i rarely have used 1 up before the trip ends. Between condiment packs and smaller squeeze bottles, i have had it covered. Bring a hot sauce bottle and all bases are covered.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

We subscribe to Hello Fresh off and on throughout the year, which happens to frequently include super small bottles of stuff we already have in the house. (Ketchup, Mayo, Soy Sauce, Honey, Sriracha, balsamic vinegar, ect) So the tiny bottles go into a tupperware to take camping as needed for meals.