Comparison of Lightweight Power Stations for Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

travisn000

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Oregon
I wish there were more high capacity units built without an inverter. I would rather the additional weight/space/expense be dedicated to storage, I (maybe not you, but I) have no need for 120v.

I also (on my unrelated wish list) wish that manufacturers would quit with the cigarette lighter style plug ins, they are garbage in a high vibration environment and will ultimately end up unplugged when you need them the most.

I'm happy that "power stations" exist, I would just like to see more power and reliable functions.

I use a Dr Prepare 12v 100 Ah battery that has a USB / 12v hub; no inverter. Like you, I had no use for an inverter, and got way more capacity (1280 Wh) for a lower price. I have used it to run my fridge for up to 5 days and only used half its capacity. Only downside is that if there is a long enough lull in the fridges power draw, the battery will shut itself off, and I have to hit the power button on the hub to turn it back on.

I got it on sale for $339 USD, current prices are a bit higher:

I bought a folding solar panel for it, but have found that using a cheap 12v to anderson cord from amazon keeps the battery fully charged with the trucks 12v port during my regular weekday driving; I have never used the solar panel:

Last edited:

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I use a Dr Prepare 12v 100 Ah battery that has a USB / 12v hub; no inverter. Like you, I had no use for an inverter, and got way more capacity (1280 Wh) for a lower price. I have used it to run my fridge for up to 5 days and only used half its capacity. Only downside is that if there is a long enough lull in the fridges power draw, the battery will shut itself off, and I have to hit the power button on the hub to turn it back on.

I got it on sale for $339 USD, current prices are a bit higher:

I bought a folding solar panel for it, but have found that using a cheap 12v to anderson cord from amazon keeps the battery fully charged with the trucks 12v port during my regular weekday driving; I have never used the solar panel:

Thanks for that.

Reactions: travisn000

travisn000

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Oregon
When you get the battery and are ready to install the hub, rotate the plug cover to fit it into its storage position; I tried to fold it back and it would close before I could get the hub plugged in :expressionless:

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I also (on my unrelated wish list) wish that manufacturers would quit with the cigarette lighter style plug ins, they are garbage in a high vibration environment and will ultimately end up unplugged when you need them the most.

I'm happy that "power stations" exist, I would just like to see more power and reliable functions.
Thank you! I can only agree. Ordinary cigarette lighter sockets/plugs are one of the worst options for electrical connection in a vehicle that is subject to vibration and other movement. Even worse than the direct connection of cigarette lighter socket and plug are these adapters for the cigarette lighter to USB e.g.

It is key to pay attention to a clean installation and secure, solid connections when wiring in the vehicle. Then it is reliable, safe and you will enjoy it for a long time.

Reactions: bgenlvtex

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

so I'm not sure about the solar port yet, but have you done a search for clap batteries?
I"m finding a lot of 250wh packs that seem to check most of the boxes, Or are you specifically wanting a 2kwh+ 12v bank?

CPAP Battery
There are CPAP specific battery packs that seem to be designed to power the unit for one night and seem pretty expensive. My path was to use my Bluetti power pack to power the CPAP as well as all of my other charging and power needs. It seemed a much more useful solution for me when overlanding (already had the Bluetti). If I were using the CPAP for air travel with a travel CPAP machine I would absolutely seek out such a battery pack, or on a motorcycle.