4x4tripping

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Switzerland
First Name
Heinz
Last Name
Treben

In 2020, I replaced my AGM batteries with a small and lightweight portable LiFePO4 power station. Back then, I was often ridiculed, but today it has become quite common. Which power station is suitable for this purpose?

All of the tested providers are deemed "adequate" for this particular use case, but it should be noted that certain competitors have excelled in addressing the finer details of their offerings.

I sold my Land Cruiser in 2021, but its new owner is still driving it, currently on the Pan-American Highway. They are still using a portable power station to operate the cooler box, notebook, and drone. The power station is charged via solar power and the vehicle's 12V charging socket.

Here is my comparison: https://vanlife.4x4tripping.com/2023/06/comparison-portable-power-stations-solar-generator-storage.html

Nope, those portable Power Stations are not superior to a DIY project with individual components. However, it is perfectly sufficient for many long-term travelers.

I did exceed size, weight, and price significantly as I tried to build something similar to a DIY power setup..

trippin

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I wish there were more high capacity units built without an inverter. I would rather the additional weight/space/expense be dedicated to storage, I (maybe not you, but I) have no need for 120v.

I also (on my unrelated wish list) wish that manufacturers would quit with the cigarette lighter style plug ins, they are garbage in a high vibration environment and will ultimately end up unplugged when you need them the most.

I'm happy that "power stations" exist, I would just like to see more power and reliable functions.

4x4tripping

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Switzerland
First Name
Heinz
Last Name
Treben
I did 70`000 Overlanding miles with my engel compressor fridge, and the cigarette lighter Plugs didnt went out (at least often (hard offroad))... But I dont love the lower charging value as well. But the cigarette ligther port brings portablity, you can move your battery to any other vehicle.

Unfortumately those with anderson plugs are often bulky itself.

If they would choose anderson plugs and higher chargjng specs, the users would have to bring a cable for the engine/battery to the rear, to fuse it.

trippin

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I did exceed size, weight, and price significantly as I tried to build something similar to a DIY power setup..

trippin
This was my experience as well. I spent maybe 60 dollars less building my DIY power box vs one of the prebuilt ones and that was using heavier cheaper SLA batteries vs Lithium batteries. Capacity was pretty close, but the prebuilt unit was still advertised as having more capacity. I still have my old DIY box around but use the Jackery much more often even around the house when the power goes out. It's just much more convenient and easier to carry around than my

I essentially use my Jackery 300 as a "house battery" that charges off the Jeep when I'm driving and solar if I'm in camp for more than one night. This has worked very well for me and has been the most flexible option able to be moved between my Jeeps or even someone else's vehicle as needed, I just have my Jeeps setup to better store it. I just recently used it on a 6 day trip with my dad and both kids charging off the truck when driving and powering the fridge, tablets, phones ect and never had a hiccup out of it. I have thought about selling the 300 and stepping up to something a little larger, like a 500 or a Bluetti EB55.

As for the inverter, I don't mind having it. It gives you a bit more flexibility on what you can power when needed, I mostly use that feature to charge my 20v tool batteries that run my fans, lights and provide in tent USB power at night when they need to be topped off.

Reactions: grubworm

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I've been truck camping since the 70's and just last year i bought a power station, 500 watt with a 500 watt add-on battery. Should have bought years ago.

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
I wish there were more high capacity units built without an inverter. I would rather the additional weight/space/expense be dedicated to storage, I (maybe not you, but I) have no need for 120v.

I also (on my unrelated wish list) wish that manufacturers would quit with the cigarette lighter style plug ins, they are garbage in a high vibration environment and will ultimately end up unplugged when you need them the most.

I'm happy that "power stations" exist, I would just like to see more power and reliable functions.
Sorry, can you elaborate, isn’t that just a battery?

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Not sure what is confusing, a 12 volt power station with all of the features of any other power station absent the inverter to provide 120v. Using instead the space and cost to increase capacity rather than provide a utility I don't find useful.

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
Not sure what is confusing, a 12 volt power station with all of the features of any other power station absent the inverter to provide 120v. Using instead the space and cost to increase capacity rather than provide a utility I don't find useful.
So a battery with some Anderson plugs?
(Saw you mentioned you weren’t a fan of the automotive 12v plugs)

4x4tripping

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Switzerland
First Name
Heinz
Last Name
Treben
Agree! I have absolute ZERO needs for an inverter. I just want something to run the Dometic and charge up all of the rechargables.
Even if you not need an inverter, it will be near impossible to do a DIY with less weight & needed space in comparison.

Specially as an DIY Project with AGM / LiFePO4: how can you optain the juice for Notebook and Rechargables? USB-C with 100W like those portable power stations provide, are still near impossible to find to buy.

Nope - those 60w PD on cigarette ligther ports cant even handle 60w...

Where is a 110v/220v Inverter usefull?

- eBike
- Drone
- Camera
- Power Notebook

Probably you are able to find 12v charger`s for your specifiv Modell. It will cost a lot, specially those 12v chargers for ebikes can easily hit 350$ With a new Drone or new Ebike your problems could come back - you have to look for an 12v charger.

With an embedded Inverter you can stuff like this - out of the box. Yes - with a bulky power adapter for 110/220v - but - you can use it.

Just with the 100W of USB-Cs on those Powerstations, I did personally think about to buy equippement who is able to use 12v directly. With my foldable ebike for sightseeing - my "need" for an Inverter is stronger than ever...

To buy an LiFePO4 with Anderson Plug - wouldnt help me in any 4 of the mentionet cases. You need still a way to be able to use the "joice" from your batterys... Because of that, you near "have to" go over an Inverter, as soon you are not able to build the deliverage on high power over USB-C.

trippin

Last edited:

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

So a battery with some Anderson plugs?
(Saw you mentioned you weren’t a fan of the automotive 12v plugs)
Anderson , USB C, USB A, SAE, BMS,gauges,solar charge controller so yes "just a battery" like every other power station.

Cigarette lighter plug ins while versatile, are probably the least reliable electrical connection known to man. They range in quality from poor to ridiculously shitty. SAE is vastly more reliable, Anderson more so yet.

Title of the thread calls out "compact"(it actually doesnt it calls out weight). A 120v inverter built in increases size, weight,complexity and expense. I don't need it, I don't want it, and I wish more manufacturers recognized that niche in the market.

Hope that clears it up.

This is what I use with the refrigerator in the truck. Compact and relatively lightweight, power passes through when the truck is running, then battery carries the refrigerator when stationary. That works great but I need more capacity.

Last edited:

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

Until my CPAP dc power loses the cigarette plug I gotta have it. Inverter uses more power than the DC so I stick with that. But you are right, the cpap plug is pretty shite and I would not trust it moving. On the other hand the Bluetti charge cord never comes loose in the back of the JK.

Reactions: bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Until my CPAP dc power loses the cigarette plug I gotta have it. Inverter uses more power than the DC so I stick with that. But you are right, the cpap plug is pretty shite and I would not trust it moving. On the other hand the Bluetti charge cord never comes loose in the back of the JK.
120v inverters and cigarette style plugs absolutely have a place in the market if only because it is common. Converting 12v to 110 is inefficient, but if that's what it takes I get it and I'm not slagging anyone for using it if it works for them.

I'm just saying I wish there were more, higher capacity models that omit the inverter because I simply don't need it. As far as cigarette lighter style plugs, they are the shag carpet of the electronics world and seem to cling on despite being a generically poor design.

Manufacturers read forums, particularly ones that are focused and if you don't say what you want they just keep producing crap that you don't.

pcstockton

Rank III

Advocate I

Portland, OR
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
S
Even if you not need an inverter, it will be near impossible to do a DIY with less weight & needed space in comparison.

Specially as an DIY Project with AGM / LiFePO4: how can you optain the juice for Notebook and Rechargables? USB-C with 100W like those portable power stations provide, are still near impossible to find to buy.

Nope - those 60w PD on cigarette ligther ports cant even handle 60w...

Where is a 110v/220v Inverter usefull?

- eBike
- Drone
- Camera
- Power Notebook

Probably you are able to find 12v charger`s for your specifiv Modell. It will cost a lot, specially those 12v chargers for ebikes can easily hit 350$ With a new Drone or new Ebike your problems could come back - you have to look for an 12v charger.

With an embedded Inverter you can stuff like this - out of the box. Yes - with a bulky power adapter for 110/220v - but - you can use it.

Just with the 100W of USB-Cs on those Powerstations, I did personally think about to buy equippement who is able to use 12v directly. With my foldable ebike for sightseeing - my "need" for an Inverter is stronger than ever...

To buy an LiFePO4 with Anderson Plug - wouldnt help me in any 4 of the mentionet cases. You need still a way to be able to use the "joice" from your batterys... Because of that, you near "have to" go over an Inverter, as soon you are not able to build the deliverage on high power over USB-C.

trippin
I do not camp or overland with computers and drones. Not my style. I only have pedal bikes. I understand why people want one. I am just not one of them.

The Dometic PLB is nice but FAR too spendy for what it is.

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
I do not camp or overland with computers and drones. Not my style. I only have pedal bikes. I understand why people want one. I am just not one of them.

The Dometic PLB is nice but FAR too spendy for what it is.
I think the 12v ice chest market may provide A cheaper alternative, the previously linked Iceco (go?) model is comparable to the dometic

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
Anderson , USB C, USB A, SAE, BMS,gauges,solar charge controller so yes "just a battery" like every other power station.

Cigarette lighter plug ins while versatile, are probably the least reliable electrical connection known to man. They range in quality from poor to ridiculously shitty. SAE is vastly more reliable, Anderson more so yet.

Title of the thread calls out "compact"(it actually doesnt it calls out weight). A 120v inverter built in increases size, weight,complexity and expense. I don't need it, I don't want it, and I wish more manufacturers recognized that niche in the market.

Hope that clears it up.

This is what I use with the refrigerator in the truck. Compact and relatively lightweight, power passes through when the truck is running, then battery carries the refrigerator when stationary. That works great but I need more capacity.
so I'm not sure about the solar port yet, but have you done a search for clap batteries?
I"m finding a lot of 250wh packs that seem to check most of the boxes, Or are you specifically wanting a 2kwh+ 12v bank?

CPAP Battery

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

so I'm not sure about the solar port yet, but have you done a search for clap batteries?
I"m finding a lot of 250wh packs that seem to check most of the boxes, Or are you specifically wanting a 2kwh+ 12v bank?

CPAP Battery
I have a 256wh running the refrigerator in the truck. That's good for about 1 day if the refrigerator is full and cold. I would like more capacity 4-5 times the capacity or more. 3-4 of the existing units is about he size of a Jackery 500. The inverters aside from being un-needed in my case and universally inefficient by design take up a huge amount of space in the cabinet.
I don't want to pay for somethingI'll never use, and I don't want the wasted space and weight either
I completely understand why they are standard, I'm just saying I wish there were more options in higher capacity power stations that did not have a built in inverter
Honestly the built in inverters n the smaller units if you do use it, will flatline the limited capacity of the battery with a quickness.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

That thing is only 20AH!!! I would like at least double that. and it gets HORRIBLE reviews.
LOL, it does have terrible reviews , maybe I should leave a good one because mine really does work very well. It is attached to the molle panel on the back of my driver seat. Unobtrusive and has been very reliable (other than the shitty cigarette lighter plug in that vibrates out and leaves the battery dead after driving 300 miles)

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
So it would be heavily DIY
But I imagine you could make a bank with a kit and prebuilt pcb from someone like Jehu Garcia

Something like this:

Dropping it into a HF pelican clone or something and using an off the shelf bums and some shrink tubing would probably make it a manageable weekend project if you are EE inclined