Communications for the Beginner

• HTML tutorial

Joedie

Rank 0

Contributor I

Japan
Alcon,

I am new to the OB community and I am wondering what is the best/most cost effective vehicle communications systems. CB or HAM (UHF, VHF or HF) which systems are most common among OB personnel

Ronzonnie

Rank 0

Contributor I

Also depends on what is common in your area. For example when riding in northern Maine its important to have some sort of MURS communication. The logging industry up there uses MURS to communicate there location and direction on the windy roads, something you need to need cautious about.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Vandy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Okc
I've found with the offroad groups around the Midwest, it's cb's. With my car groups it was walkies. And they get better range

Reactions: Luis Merlo

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

Currently everyone I go wheeling with uses CB out on the trails. We tend to be close enough together to communicate.
Yesterday a handful of my friends went and passed the HAM radio license (Whatever the basic one is), so they are looking into that.
I'm hitting the trail with a guy who has his rig set up with HAM in 3 weeks. I'll be checking it out and probably be inspired to pass that exam myself.

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
While I'm not new to communications (public safety comms is my day job), I am in the OB sense. From what I gather CB seems to be the go to. You can pick up a decent little CB for about $40-50, antenna/coax kit for $30'ish and you don't need a license. Mileage may vary on your range but if you're working in a pretty tight group CB should have no issues getting you a mile or two down the road (maybe more).

Me being a comms nerd, I'm pushing to get my General HAM license which opens me up for HF rigs and the like. In my truck I'm working to build out - CB, VHF/UHF HAM, GMRS and then I use 800MHz for public safety locally. While it seems like a lot, we travel a lot and I never know who or what I'll run in to for capabilities.

I was researching this very thing tonight and you may find this site a good quick read for CB stuff. Hope that helps!
http://www.wearecb.com/small-low-profile-cb-radios-antennas.html

I'm going to settle on the Cobra 18WXST. It's a well priced radio with key options for me being scan, CH9 (emergency) access and Weather.
http://www.wearecb.com/cobra-18-wx-st-ii-economical-cb-radio.html

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Alcon,

I am new to the OB community and I am wondering what is the best/most cost effective vehicle communications systems. CB or HAM (UHF, VHF or HF) which systems are most common among OB personnel
I'm not an expert, but if I could only have one radio, I'd have one of these and program it with FRS channels.

Screen Shot 2016-12-07 at 11.01.29 PM.png

https://www.amazon.com/GT-3TP-Mark-III-Tri-Power-Transceiver-Upgraded/dp/B00T5UVSIY/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1481180322&sr=8-9&keywords=baofeng+pofung+gt-3tp+mark-iii+tri-power

On the four OB trips I've been on, FRS was the most common.

Last edited:

KyleGrant

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wichita, KS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Soldani
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KSØTOR
Knew I was forgetting something, yes have some FRS capabilities! These Baofeng and Wouxun radios are a great way to cover everything - FRS (no license), GMRS (application license only) and HAM (exam based license). Good catch Recon.

Jaydub514

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Rangsipat
Member #

I'm not an expert, but if I could only have one radio, I'd have one of these and program it with FRS channels.

View attachment 11477

On the four OB trips I've been on, FRS was the most common.
Thanks for the tip here - I'm new to the world of off road communication as well, and I see the BaoFeng UV-5R as a frequently mentioned pick...The GT3 seems like a more robust option, would you be able to explain some of the differences? I'll be likely using FRS short distance from vehicle to vehicle until I get licensed for HAM - and wouldn't mind paying the small difference between the two radios for an upgrade right out of the chute for some future proofing.

Also would you recommend anything else to go along with it, like a different antenna?

Thanks again guys!

Reactions: Kelly

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Thanks for the tip here - I'm new to the world of off road communication as well, and I see the BaoFeng UV-5R as a frequently mentioned pick...The GT3 seems like a more robust option, would you be able to explain some of the differences? I'll be likely using FRS short distance from vehicle to vehicle until I get licensed for HAM - and wouldn't mind paying the small difference between the two radios for an upgrade right out of the chute for some future proofing.

Also would you recommend anything else to go along with it, like a different antenna?

Thanks again guys!
I have two UV-5Rs, but I recommended the GT3 because I believe it has 3 power settings, so you can save battery when using at short range, and crank it up when you need to reach out. I would also get an external car-mount antenna, and a 12v car adaptor. It's all available on Amazon.

lbseals

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Sout West Oregon
Member #

Unless you add an external antenna turning up the power won't do much but heat up the "ducky" antenna On the uv5r. At least that's what I read on ham forums. On low power mode I've gone 4.4 miles, per my gps, and could still hear clearly.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Sean S

JaimyMac630

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Rescue, California, USA
First Name
Jaimy
Last Name
McLaughlin
Member #

I have two UV-5Rs, but I recommended the GT3 because I believe it has 3 power settings, so you can save battery when using at short range, and crank it up when you need to reach out. I would also get an external car-mount antenna, and a 12v car adaptor. It's all available on Amazon.
Kelly,

What external antenna would you recommend to go with the GT-3?

Reactions: Fatguyinalittlejeep

TexX14

Rank V
Launch Member

Creator III

Lufkin,TX
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Conrad
Member #

Currently I am running a 40 channel Cobra CB and it works well for talking with in the groups I have traveled with. Although at times a lot of people in the groups do not even have a CB. Some of the group have had a HAM radio and even more are starting to get their HAM licenses. I have also started looking more into getting a HAM license as well. I would recommend both HAM and CB if possible. If you must pick one type of communications then go with what ever the majority of the group you run with has.

Reactions: VCeXpedition

Radiola

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Huachuca City, AZ
Member #

OK guys I am glad everyone is interested in comms. let me start off by saying CB and FRS are good place to start but the baofang and like radios are not made for use on FRS and MURS just because you can program the channels does not mean you are free to transmit. Just go get you ham license and become legal. I can quote the reg's from the FCC all day long but I don't want to beat a dead horse.

Reactions: TXpedition

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Kelly,

What external antenna would you recommend to go with the GT-3?
The Larsen 2/70 is generally considered to be the best antenna, however I run multiple Browning BR-180-b antennas and they have held up well getting knocked around on trees daily. They are also about half the cost of the Larsen. They are 1/2 wave on 2m (VHF) so they are not ground dependent meaning they can be mounted virtually anywhere and still work, though they will work better with a good ground plane.

Reactions: scooterd58