Communications and Remote Locations

• HTML tutorial

Dario Carrera

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Does it work out side the US like Mexico? Or Canada?
Yes. I wouldn't take it to Cuba, Russia or Venezuela, North Korea or other places where they shoot/detain spies, but most countries would be fine. I've used it in Canada and Mexico and will take it to the Yucatan this spring.... note that hitting the SOS button could be slightly more expensive in other countries. I carry MED EVAC insurance for that reason. You need to make sure you contact them and follow the rules of your plan. Having them in your presets would be a good idea....
Here in Venezuela with the InReach Explorer there wouldn't be any issues with it. You'd have to run into a highly educated, high ranking officer for them to know that is actually SATCOM. Otherwise they'll just think its a regular handheld GPS. They might fall in love with it but otherwise no issues what so ever.

How sad (but true) it is for our country to be ranked with the likes of Cuba and DPRK. :disappointed:

Reactions: NWNavigator

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

Here in Venezuela with the InReach Explorer there wouldn't be any issues with it. You'd have to run into a highly educated, high ranking officer for them to know that is actually SATCOM. Otherwise they'll just think its a regular handheld GPS. They might fall in love with it but otherwise no issues what so ever.

How sad (but true) it is for our country to be ranked with the likes of Cuba and DPRK. :disappointed:
I miss my friends in Los Roques and the evenings spent watching the sun set while enjoying a good meal. I really miss the bonefishing and I would love to explore the rest of the country, but not at present. Be safe!

Reactions: Dario Carrera

Dario Carrera

Rank III

Enthusiast II

I miss my friends in Los Roques and the evenings spent watching the sun set while enjoying a good meal. I really miss the bonefishing and I would love to explore the rest of the country, but not at present. Be safe!
We are always glad to hear about people enjoying their time and adventures here. Im glad you liked it. It certainly is not the time to visit this country and to say it out loud hurts! However having said that, I know a lot of great people are willing to lend a helping hand to anyone coming to visit, explore, overland or otherwise... There is plenty of fantastic friendly people in our country to go around, social, political and economic conditions are a topic for another day and a strong drink.

Los Roques is absolutely one of those places that I would recommend to anyone coming to Vzla.

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

Los Roques is absolutely one of those places that I would recommend to anyone coming to Vzla.
I would bring a group every year to enjoy the fishing and food, but quit when Hugo passed and things got complicated....The Vzla people have always been very friendly, but it takes a seasoned traveler to feel comfortable now.

Keep in touch via messages! I have a couple friends in Caracas and on Los Roques...

I'm writing a novel based on an episode in Los Roques...

Cheers!

SilverSurferJKU

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary Alberta
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Boksteyn
Member #

Does it work out side the US like Mexico? Or Canada?
I’ve used my Inreach all over the world both on land and sea and it works perfectly every trip. Simply my most valuable piece of kit!
I recently had a friend who use the SOS button on his Inreach after a bad motorcycle crash up in the mountains in Montana and he was rescued within two hours. They were able to two-way communication via Inreach text to authorities to determine the type of rescue needed.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

frontline

Rank 0

Contributor I

I have had my Inreach for about two years and use it monthly and have never had a problem. I do updates before each trip. Used it on a cruise this summer while we were crossing the Atlantic to chat with the kids before they went to bed each night. As long as it could see the sky it worked amazing. I have it paired to my phone most of the time, when I am off reading I pair it to my ipad for bigger maps as I can’t see my phone as well I used to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dario Carrera

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Some friends of ours used inReach all round Africa for a year a while ago. No issues at all, and it was great to be able to watch their mapped progress on my 'phone/tablet/pc. So for the family to keep an eye on where you are, probably one of the best.

Reactions: TerryD