Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

As with most of you, we all like to go to places which are as far away from the general population "to be one with nature" as some people might put it..

As lovely as that seems it can also cause a headache should something happen,
Communications is a key thing to have when traveling to remote locations whether its the rocky wilderness or snow topped mountains or its across a desert
Having some sort of line to civilisation should something happen could be a lifesaver, - this I've already covered in another post (bit of a preface for those who haven't seen my other one)

Communications and remote locations can also mean comms between each other when out in a convoy or out on foot,

So there are lots of technologies these days which is enabling us to communicate between users without too much trouble,

The obvious being RF based - Walkie Talkie handsets, these are 10 a penny and you can generally buy them anywhere - ideal to have in a vehicle as you wont have to worry about loosing it or it being confiscated!
Remember that some countries BAN radio devices like Ham radio sets and walkie talkies - India is one place and if you are daring enough Korea!

CB is a popular one and there are lots of posts about it so wont bore you with details

Some other tech bring out there is Bluetooth based where users can connect to each other and relay messages - I saw a kickstarter which had something like this was quite interesting as it relayed from person to person via this device from top of a hill to a town..

This is where things start getting expensive with using Sat phones (as mentioned in previous post) where you can message and call each other via satellite

I'm sure others have other ideas about tech and communications for being out there, but this I would hope can jog the brain matter a bit and get you thinking about "what if" ect

armymgdude

Rank IV

Advocate II

Olympia, WA
I have a Delorme Inreach. Works great until it doesn't. Mine failed in the middle of nowhere when I had told my wife I would check in. The new one works great, but I will be adding it to my list of things to check BEFORE I go out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Kevigizmo

Western Europe Moderator
Launch Member

Influencer II

North Walsham, Norfolk, UK
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Titmarsh
Member #

I have a Delorme Inreach. Works great until it doesn't. Mine failed in the middle of nowhere when I had told my wife I would check in. The new one works great, but I will be adding it to my list of things to check BEFORE I go out.
yeah I've seen them about and they look pretty good value but as with everything, you can have all the gadgets but when it fails you have to go back to basics, similarly with GPS's failing and getting out the old map and compass

certainly worth keeping an eye on things and have backup plans in place - for that exact situation :)

Chris Arnesen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hillsboro, OR
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Arnesen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KU7PDX
Some other tech bring out there is Bluetooth based where users can connect to each other and relay messages - I saw a kickstarter which had something like this was quite interesting as it relayed from person to person via this device from top of a hill to a town..
You're thinking of goTenna! Their original version uses MURS VHF frequencies to relay message and the new goTenna Mesh uses 900 MHz frequencies at a higher power level for a bit more range. Your phone connects to the goTenna via Bluetooth.

Kinda expensive for what you get, but could be effective for large groups if everyone has one.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR

@armymgdude I just bought into the InReach thing, can you tell us why it failed? It seems pretty bullet proof, besides batteries why the fail?

Thanks, Dan.

armymgdude

Rank IV

Advocate II

Olympia, WA
Seemed to be a internal antenna problem. I had it less than a year. Called Garmin and they checked their end, all good, so REI swapped it for me. I did not do the updates, so that could have been an issue.

Obi-Juan

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern California - San Fernando Valley
First Name
John
Last Name
Lechuga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JKL
You're thinking of goTenna! Their original version uses MURS VHF frequencies to relay message and the new goTenna Mesh uses 900 MHz frequencies at a higher power level for a bit more range. Your phone connects to the goTenna via Bluetooth.

Kinda expensive for what you get, but could be effective for large groups if everyone has one.
I'm an original KS backer for the goTenna Mesh, and I owned the original non-MESH units... Needless to say, awesome bit of tech that can not only allows communication off grid, they also are capable of broadcasting your GPS location via the MESH network of other goTenna MESH owners. Also, the community (coverage area), can potentially be very large due to the fact that goTenna products are sold at major outdoor retails like REI, Cabella's, etc.. So everyone from hikers to Off Road enthusiasts, to folks who just want to communicate on the cheap when they are traveling abroad in a foreign country without having to rely on cell roaming costs or coverage area within a three mile range of you, helps keep the MESH grid up when you need it!

Learn more about goTenna Mesh here

Reactions: Teague

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Here in the lower 48 states, getting to a really remote spot can be quite the challenge. We do however, manage to get to a few of them every trip out. Grand Staircase, Gila, etc etc. We also have our backpacks with us at all times, so if a major breakdown occurs we can always backpack toward civilization to garner the parts and a ride back to our rig to fix it. In the case of personal injury or breakdown we keep with us, at all times, our ResQLink PLB. It's inexpensive, reliable and very easy to deploy.

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

I did not do the updates, so that could have been an issue.
Anyone considering the inReach units may want to get in the habit of updating the unit before a trip to make sure there are no issues. I use that time to update instant messages making them relevant to the current trip. I can also add waypoints if needed. It does seem that every time I plug it in there are updates required. It only takes a few minutes to do and may make a difference. Overall I've been very happy with the extra security of off grid communication/SOS, but I always have a plan B. No news for a few days is OK, no news for a week, send the troops. I always share my track via email link with at least two people so they know my last known position. I have check in and out phone calls or text messages with those people before heading out with reminders set on my phone for when I get back in cell range. I'm old and forget stuff...

AKBushDag

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmer, Alaska
First Name
David
Last Name
Plant
Member #

Just my two cents worth on the subject; Iridium Satellite Phone and ACR Electronics Personal Locator Beacon. I always have these two items in the bush. I may have other items as well, but these are mandatory on my list.

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

Anyone. Are there any shops around the country that will rent these locator, Gps,sat phone units. Any help appreciated. Thanks. 73s

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Yes there are. I don't have the link just now but I found it by googling "Inreach Rental"
Seemed a little expensive but it included a unit and a plan with some room to roam.
I ended up getting one for Christmas from wifey. Thank you amazon wishlist.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using OB Talk mobile app

Mouflon

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

While we use VHF to communicate among vehicles, a satellite phone is critical back-up gear. Every vehicle carries one into the deep desert with us or they don't go. We like Thuraya's iPhone cradle option (see mine below). It allows you to use the iPhone for data comms (messages, social, etc) without having to use talk minutes which are crazy expensive. Essential safety gear for remote locations.

Reactions: Obi-Juan and TerryD

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Here in the lower 48 states, getting to a really remote spot can be quite the challenge. We do however, manage to get to a few of them every trip out. Grand Staircase, Gila, etc etc. We also have our backpacks with us at all times, so if a major breakdown occurs we can always backpack toward civilization to garner the parts and a ride back to our rig to fix it. In the case of personal injury or breakdown we keep with us, at all times, our ResQLink PLB. It's inexpensive, reliable and very easy to deploy.
I used to work at a West Marine, In Florida alot of offshore fishermen go 50+ miles offshore. They would try to tell me that their cell phones and VHF radios were all they needed. I would explain to them why they would not work. Then I would show them the ACR ResQLink and how simple it is to use.......SOLD!

Reactions: Mouflon

Mouflon

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I used to work at a West Marine, In Florida alot of offshore fishermen go 50+ miles offshore. They would try to tell me that their cell phones and VHF radios were all they needed. I would explain to them why they would not work. Then I would show them the ACR ResQLink and how simple it is to use.......SOLD!
Totally. I cringe when I hear people say the same thing about recovery gear?!?

When you want to call in the cavalry, ResQLink will be the best $200 bucks you ever spent.

Reactions: Flipper

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I'm quite interested in the DeLorme InReach and its capabilities in very mountainous regions. We're the end of the line to start with, roughly 100*100 miles of mountainous terrain to Montana and mountain shadows are a killer. Here at the cabin we rely on satellite internet for comms. it's even a struggle for our HAM units short of a very tall antenna in the timberland. Given that, anything mobile is just dumb luck at best in the backcountry.

Even though our rigs are fully equipped, even with our Fire Dept. Radios, we'd still have to climb a few thousand feet to hit a repeater. For the most part it's the old school version like Oldschooladventure stated - leave information with folks (we tell our Volunteer Fire Dept guys), backpacks, map and compas and field tape if something goes down. I do carry a cell phone at least for a ping. and a PLB, but I like the capability of 2 ways comms.

Cole McClung

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

I am leaving for a month long surf/camp trip in Baja in January. I’m looking into a satalite phone to bring with me. ResQ sounds great but that’s just for help. I want to be able to call my girlfriend and family to check in every once in a while. Delorme Inreach sounds like a good option but I’ve heard some people have trouble with it. Do you guys have any recommendations?

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

I'm going on two years with the InReach Explorer. I use it several times a month and have zero complaints. I have rented Sat Phones for travel to Christmas Island or other OTG locations, but for mainland backcountry travel the InReach works great. There are times where the unit does not ping my location, but normally that is a brief occurrence that is rectified by simply moving down the trail/river. If you can see sky, it works. When I leave my rig I slip it into the outside pocket of my pack, or into my fishing waders and it continues to ping my location and provide peace of mind. Traveling solo it's nice to think I can call in the troops if needed.

I just did a three day float in a remote canyon here in OR and the InReach worked perfectly. It's nice to be able to check in with the home front when OTG and 160 character text messages are just about right. I don't want to say or hear anymore than that when I'm trying to escape the hamster wheel.

The only thing I would say is it is important to UPDATE the unit BEFORE heading out. There seems to be software updates on a regular bases and I use that opportunity to add waypoints or custom messages that would apply to the current adventure. Some of the issues experienced by others may be due to not updating software. ( I tend to keep mine plugged into my computer between trips which makes it simple to update, grab and go.)

I would recommend adding the InReach addresses of your traveling friends that have units so you have another from of comms on the trail. I'd also suggest pairing the InReach to an iPad, tablet or phone for ease of use and better map viewing.

One preset message on my unit has my name, AAA member number, their 800 # , my cell phone # , vehicle license #, description and instructions to send a tow truck to my location stating that I don't have cell coverage. I intend to send that to my chosen overwatch if needed. Presets like " Yes," " No," "I'm injured and can't move," "Snake bite," "Please send medical help my location," "call my wife," or anything else you wouldn't want to laboriously type out while in pain might be something to add and hopefully never use.

There are other forms of comms, but the InReach for the money is a pretty good choice. The 20% REI sale is always a good time to add stuff like this to your kit and save a few bucks. I've signed up for the annual plan at about 25 bucks a month and feel I get my money's worth...

I don't leave home without it.

4runner4thJuly-1586.jpg

Cole McClung

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

I'm going on two years with the InReach Explorer. I use it several times a month and have zero complaints. I have rented Sat Phones for travel to Christmas Island or other OTG locations, but for mainland backcountry travel the InReach works great. There are times where the unit does not ping my location, but normally that is a brief occurrence that is rectified by simply moving down the trail/river. If you can see sky, it works. When I leave my rig I slip it into the outside pocket of my pack, or into my fishing waders and it continues to ping my location and provide peace of mind. Traveling solo it's nice to think I can call in the troops if needed.

Does it work out side the US like Mexico? Or Canada?

NWNavigator

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

End of the Oregon Trail
First Name
Joel
Last Name
La Follette
Member #

Does it work out side the US like Mexico? Or Canada?
Yes. I wouldn't take it to Cuba, Russia or Venezuela, North Korea or other places where they shoot/detain spies, but most countries would be fine. I've used it in Canada and Mexico and will take it to the Yucatan this spring.... note that hitting the SOS button could be slightly more expensive in other countries. I carry MED EVAC insurance for that reason. You need to make sure you contact them and follow the rules of your plan. Having them in your presets would be a good idea....