Florence, Lauderdale County, Alabama, United States
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Holland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K4UVI
What’s everyone using for communication.
(Ham. FRS, GMRS, CB)
I am a Ham with Extra class license.
I run one of two rigs.
1- Yaesu FT-8800 dual band
2- Yaesu FT-857D all mode HF plus 144 and 440 with a screwdriver antenna for HF and a Diamond SG 7900 dual band.
I prefer the HF rig due to the longer range.
It’s nice to know when out of cell range I still have the means to communicate.
Been way out in the woods camping and working the Falkland Islands and Europe on 20 and 40 meters.

Thanks
Tim
de K4UVI
# 31777

Reactions: M Rose and 64Trvlr

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I run Ham, GMRS, and CB because I go out so infrequently and never know what the majority of people might be carrying.

I have a Kenwood TM-V71A base station, a Present Andy II CB, Midland MXT115 GMRS and extra handhelds for all three types lol. You never know.

Reactions: Tholland

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
(Ham. FRS, GMRS, CB)
I run one of two rigs.
2- Yaesu FT-857D all mode HF plus 144 and 440 with a screwdriver antenna for HF and a Diamond SG 7900 dual band.
Been way out in the woods camping and working the Falkland Islands and Europe on 20 and 40 meters.

Thanks
Tim
de K4UVI
# 31777
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update your profile, and get credit for your license., like DRAX has done.in post

I follow the premise of Roaring Row.....CB ,FRMS, GMRS. I have also have a Midland 2500 Ham, but no license yet. I want the ability to choose.

Last edited:

Tholland

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Florence, Lauderdale County, Alabama, United States
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Holland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K4UVI
(Ham. FRS, GMRS, CB)
I run one of two rigs.

Thanks
Tim
de K4UVI
# 31777
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update your profile, and get credit for your license., like DRAX has done.in post

I follow the premise of Roaring Row.....CB ,FRMS, GMRS. I have also have a Midland 2500 Ham, but no license yet. I want the ability to choose.

Where do I change the settings for my jam license?
I looked on the profile page and didn’t see where to list it.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
HAM and cell phone here, I'll use GMRS or FRS if needed, but at the moment I only have a 2m rig in my jeep. Out west 2m is the way to go for group comms but getting most folks in the party to actually get a amateur radio license is a different kind of challenge.
That said, the mobile (15w) gmrs units seem to be gaining in popularity.

In off-road travels, I haven't found much of a use or desire to even attempt to bring out a HF rig. My reasons for that is a mobile installation is generally tricky unless you chose to only use one band, otherwise you're forced to use a screwdriver antenna, and, well, those are generally fairly fragile in respect to getting smacked by trees, rocks, etc.
The other main reason for not choosing to rely on it for comm's is the generally unpredictable nature of HF radio and propagation.

With how tech is shaping up in the foreseeable future, we have two trucks that'll we'll be sort of bringing up to equivalent levels of comms capability:
Both trucks have 2m/70cm HAM and cell.
The radio in the the pickup has GRS/GRMS programed into it as well, and baja race radio frequencies (pretty much only common in CA/NV/AZ/BAJA in my experience).
The Jeeps 2m radio has a MARS mod that gives it some flexibility, but its on the list to get a new 2m/70cm radio here shortly, as well as something that can do the 151.x frequencies and GMRS/FRS.

Then we're also planning on getting an in-reach or some other satellite based communication tool in addition to all that because frequently sat comms are the ONLY way to get a message out that doesn't require a HAM license or being in a geographically advantageous area to make use of conventional radios or cell phones.

JNewton99

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Center, TX, USA
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Newton
Member #

I am using GMRS at the moment seems to be the friendliest to use in groups.

I do currently have HAM radios for listening and SDRs for the same. Honestly I just need to go take my test and be done with it!

Would love to pickup a Yaesu FTM-400 XDR soon!

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Jason R

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ventura, CA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Radcliffe
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JYL
Service Branch
Marine Corps
Just installed a Yaesu FTM 400 XDR in the rig and I use handhelds for GMRS. The APRS function on the 400 XDR is pretty cool and it’s another way people can follow along where you are adventuring. If you want privacy you just turn off the beaconing.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
(Ham. FRS, GMRS, CB)
I run one of two rigs.

Thanks
Tim
de K4UVI
# 31777
Tim,
I’m running an Icom IC-7100 all band all mode transceiver as my primary radio in my ‘89 Bronco mobile shack. I have a Kenwood TK-790H set up as an APRS station using a Mobilinked TNC3 and my iPad, also I have a Yasue FTDX10 that I carry with me for camp use.

As for antennas for my mobile setups… I made my own 1/4 wave 2m/70cm whip, and 5/8 2m whip. On the HF side I’m running an LDG 200 Pro II tuner with a 9:1 auto transformer connected to a 110” whip. The FTDX10 I use either an 160m EFHW or a OCFD cut for 80m depending on if I’m just setting up for the night, or going to be set up for multiple days. I can also hook my wire antennas up to the Bronco and use the IC-7100 in case of emergency setup.