First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Allmark
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
2E0HLG
Hi all,

I'm new to here and overlanding in general. Started watching YouTube while in lockdown and have the plan for the perfect rig (don't we all )

Anyway I've just watched a YouTube on connecting your Kenwood tm-d710g direct to your Garmin Sat Nav (looked like an old nuvi model) and getting aprs data on the Sat Nav by way of icons and data fields. Anyone tried this?

It's about midway through;-
Speak soon

Reactions: RMCM

SerfDigital Overlanding

Rank IV

Traveler III

Horwich, Bolton, United Kingdom
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Allmark
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
2E0HLG
Hi all,

I'm new to here and overlanding in general. Started watching YouTube while in lockdown and have the plan for the perfect rig (don't we all )

Anyway I've just watched a YouTube on connecting your Kenwood tm-d710g direct to your Garmin Sat Nav (looked like an old nuvi model) and getting aprs data on the Sat Nav by way of icons and data fields. Anyone tried this?

It's about midway through;-
Speak soon
I've scrapped this as a project, after some advice.

SerfDigital Overlanding

Rank IV

Traveler III

First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Allmark
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
2E0HLG
Looked kinda cool.
Hi,
Yep, the idea was sound. My GPS is my life line for work, loaded with a number of custom points, so this data overlaid would have been good. Even better when not working.

Technology would appear not to agree. It appears the Garmin software needs to be of a certain config.

It might resurface as a project if these lockdowns continue, as it probably entails a tonne of online research, before even lifting a soldering iron.

Next project..

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hi,
Yep, the idea was sound. My GPS is my life line for work, loaded with a number of custom points, so this data overlaid would have been good. Even better when not working.

Technology would appear not to agree. It appears the Garmin software needs to be of a certain config.

It might resurface as a project if these lockdowns continue, as it probably entails a tonne of online research, before even lifting a soldering iron.

Next project..
I don’t think it’s as hard as you might think... Sara talks about the converter box that connects between the radio head unit and the Garmin. I’m going to look at this a little more... I have a feeling the converter box is just a raspberry pi.

Reactions: Sparksalot

SerfDigital Overlanding

Rank IV

Traveler III

First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Allmark
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
2E0HLG
Hi,

Next project..
I don’t think it’s as hard as you might think... Sara talks about the converter box that connects between the radio head unit and the Garmin. I’m going to look at this a little more... I have a feeling the converter box is just a raspberry pi.
Yep, I played that but back and forth, got the details of the makers and emailed them. One if their guys responded, saying the Garmin software has to be on the TMI list, I'm just looking what this is, but also the Garmin software may not refresh the data correctly.

I assumed the Garmin was the nut that needed cracking, but it's finding it. We would appear to need planetary alignment, in the form of a Garmin engineer on this forum.

Speak soon

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Yep, I played that but back and forth, got the details of the makers and emailed them. One if their guys responded, saying the Garmin software has to be on the TMI list, I'm just looking what this is, but also the Garmin software may not refresh the data correctly.

I assumed the Garmin was the nut that needed cracking, but it's finding it. We would appear to need planetary alignment, in the form of a Garmin engineer on this forum.

Speak soon
Look at geocaching forums... I found a lot of information on this subject in a 30 second Google search. Wish I still had my Garmin Oregon. I have an old Kenwood TK-790 I would love to see if this would work with.

Reactions: Sparksalot

SerfDigital Overlanding

Rank IV

Traveler III

First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Allmark
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
2E0HLG

Speak soon
Look at geocaching forums... I found a lot of information on this subject in a 30 second Google search. Wish I still had my Garmin Oregon. I have an old Kenwood TK-790 I would love to see if this would work with.
Added bonus, it appears my Sat nav has FMI (sorry typo earlier - typing on my phone)

Project would appear to be back on.....

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

SerfDigital Overlanding

Rank IV

Traveler III

First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Allmark
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
2E0HLG
Added bonus, it appears my Sat nav has FMI (sorry typo earlier - typing on my phone)

Glad I was able to lend a hand in your search... report back on how it goes... like I said earlier, I’m very interested in this project.
Will do, Thank you for your help I'd half a signed this to the B1N pile. Though having just seen the FMI api I think it's grown legs.

SerfDigital Overlanding

Rank IV

Traveler III

First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Allmark
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
2E0HLG

Glad I was able to lend a hand in your search... report back on how it goes... like I said earlier, I’m very interested in this project.
Will do, Thank you for your help I'd half a signed this to the B1N pile. Though having just seen the FMI api I think it's grown legs.
Gone down a rabbit hole now...

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #