US Rocky Mountain COLORADO: Miner's Loop & More!

• HTML tutorial

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW

UPDATE:. Sorry, but this event is full. Please state in the forum thread if you'd like to be on standby if something changes.

This will be a trip through what some refer to as the Miner's Loop. Come for some or all!

Day 1 (Thursday): Ascend Mt. Antero and return down and set up camp.
Day 2 (Friday): St. Elmo, Tincup Pass, camping near town of Tincup.
Day 3 (Saturday): Town of Tincup, Cumberland Pass, Alpine Tunnel West, Hancock Pass.
Day 4 (Sunday): Alpine Tunnel East, depart.

There is time built into the schedule to visit the ghost towns and other local attractions.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Hey Neal thanks for getting this run rolling. I have had so much fun in this area, but haven't run the Baldwin lakes trail off Mnt. Antero and never had the pleasure of running Hancock pass. Hope others can join in, lots of Colorado history to see.

• Love
Reactions: Ubiety

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Hey Neal thanks for getting this run rolling. I have had so much fun in this area, but haven't run the Baldwin lakes trail off Mnt. Antero and never had the pleasure of running Hancock pass. Hope others can join in, lots of Colorado history to see.
Should we add Baldwin Lakes to the itinerary?

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Along Baldwin Lakes trail is where I was plan on camping on Thursday night. As close as feasible to make it to our staging area on Friday at 11:00 a.m. I hope to scout that out sometime before hand so we can be sure of the timing. So that might be good to relay in our itinerary.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
My wife thinks this might be fun and she has always wanted to visit CO when the aspens are turning Fall colors. Any chance they might-possibly-maybe-could-be starting to turn colors in August? Seems a little early but who knows and every little bit helps my case. ;)

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
My wife thinks this might be fun and she has always wanted to visit CO when the aspens are turning Fall colors. Any chance they might-possibly-maybe-could-be starting to turn colors in August? Seems a little early but who knows and every little bit helps my case. ;)
I like the way you think !

It would probably be another month yet.

there's no reason you couldn't pick some dates and we could schedule a trip around it.

I'm still toying with another trip idea that I haven't decided for sure what I want to do with. It would be at least 5 days and traverse several of the best areas in southern Colorado.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Hahaha, typed this up but did not hit submit...
And thanks for your efforts on this @JDGreens - looks like a great trip!

@Neal A. Tew - sounds interesting! Going to see how things pan out with vacation time this year, already planning a long trip down to CA Sierra Nevadas where my wife grew up to visit and camp and such. Thanks!

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I like the way you think !

It would probably be another month yet.

there\'s no reason you couldn\'t pick some dates and we could schedule a trip around it.

I\'m still toying with another trip idea that I haven\'t decided for sure what I want to do with. It would be at least 5 days and traverse several of the best areas in southern Colorado.
I plan on doing a fall color change weekend this year. Not sure where I'll go but probably somewhere close enough to enjoy a couple of trails yet not to far enough away that it won't take more than 2 hours to drive home. Took my wife to see Schubarth/Rampart range last year. (Day trip).

Reactions: Ubiety

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
Have this marked, going top have to see if I can adjust my schedule to make this as currently that's my weekend to work.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Are we planning to base camp or move every day?
Perhaps you missed this section:

Rally Point Notes:

Actual Trip Leader is: @jdgreens
(Hancock Pass and a small optional section of Tincup Pass are classified differently than most of our routes and technically require an OHV permit. More info here: Full Size Trails | Stay The Trail and permit is available here: Colorado Parks and Wildlife
There is time built into the schedule to visit the ghost towns and other local attractions.
The location details include the meeting place and time for each day. If you want to visit the towns of Tincup and St. Elmo, arrive before the meeting times as much as you need.
There will be a different camp location each night. Daily start times are late enough that one doesn't have to rush to break camp.
If you are brave enough to bring a trailer, it could be dropped for the ascent up Antero on Thursday, but would need to make the traverses of Hancock and Tincup Passes.
Info about each 4wd road:
Thursday:
Mount Antero <--Click for info
Friday:
Tincup Pass
Saturday:
Hancock Pass
Alpine Tunnel West
Sunday:
Alpine Tunnel East

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Hi Carlos, yes we will be camping in a different location each evening. I will scout for a area to camp in for Thursday evening so that we can rely that to anyone who might want to find us. And I have tentative sites for the other evenings. We are listing the staging area for each trail in case someone just wants to join in for that particular trail since we did Tin-cup last June Jam. And wants to run Hancock Saturday. We can work things out in greater detail the closer it gets. Hope you can make all or part of this.

Last edited:

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Hi Carlos, yes we will be camping in a different location each evening. I will scout for a area to camp in for Thursday evening so that we can rely that to anyone who might want to find us. And I have tentative sites for the other evenings. We are listing the staging area for each trail in case someone just wants to join in for that particular trail since we did Tin-cup last June Jam. And wants to run Hancock Saturday. We can work things out in greater detail the closer it gets. Hope you can make all or part of this.
Cool, thanks David!
Yes I’m planning to join you guys for the full 4 days but I’m not quite sure I can make it with work yet. But for now I’m a yes!