Colorado Front Range Campout Meetup

• HTML tutorial

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Sounds like there is enough interest for last week of June, which should work for me as well.
How many days n nights are you guys interested in? That would factor in to where to go to make it worth while.
If you guys just want to camp overnight to get acquinted nearly all the trails will be open by then. The reason I suggested 4-mile area is because it has a lot of dispersed sites. The 4-mile trails are noobie friendly and then if anyone would like to explore some great high mountain passes like Hancock and Tincup relativly easy, and for those who like more of a challenge Chinamans Gulch is right around the corner from 4-mile. On the way back home there is Twin Cone and Red Cone will get you heart racing a little more.

A couple of guys in the local 4x4 club is going to do a week day run in a couple weeks at Chinamans Gulch I plan on riding with one of them. (Working on my rig right now). I am just jonzing to get out!

Let me know if 4-Mile would be good for you guys and I will try to get a rally point going.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Ldstruckn

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Ivins, Utah, United States
First Name
joseph
Last Name
johnson
Member #

Service Branch
US ARMY
Im game. I have a 4 day expedition planned next week. Then i need to stop playing on my time off and get my lift kit installed. The trails are opening and calling for me

303JETSET

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Totten
Member #

If planned out a bit, I can do afternoon/evening of the 28th into Sunday. Bonus if we keep this family friendly. My young kids love to head up with me. I won’t be driving the XJ, will be taking the Power Wagon as it takes over overlanding duties. Got to get used to wheeling the full size.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
@JDGreens,. I think 4-mile is a great idea. It was on my short list.

I'll try to reserve my calendar from Friday to Monday (You were talking about the last weekend, correct?) to accommodate whatever the group decides.

I can suggest a specific site at 4- mile if you don't already have one picked out.

Thanks for doing this!

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Then I'll work on posting this up for June 27th-June 30th (I will plan on going down a day early to acquire the camping arrangments for the group). If that sounds good.
I feel that 10 vehicle would probably be max for the spots I saw when I was down there? But I'm sure we could find a overflow site as well.

Neil, I have only been down to 4-mile once to explore the trails in it. We did drive into a couple camp sites while we were down there. I know that these trails are mostly 2 w/drive friendly until you incounter the steep spots, but will make a good base camp to explore the surrounding trails. If you would help with the coordinates to that spot that would be helpful. I can copy and paste them into our rally point from my computer over the weekend. There is no guarantee it will be available but I can certainly try for it.

For those who have families you can treat the kids to a swim at the Mnt. Princeton hot springs pool. The kid side pool should be open for the season. It is about 30 mintutes from 4-mile area.

I don't know how much of a itinarary everyone wants in place, (I plan on using the spot as a base camp). it is an area I have grown fond of as it is only a couple hours drive from my home and from there only about 30 minutes to some epic trails, gost towns and so many other cool things to do.

One thing is, I have never had any rangers check for it, but 75% of the back country trails (4-mile included) reqiure a yearly offroad permit. It the same permit that atv's require to be legal on the trails. I usually get mine every year in March-March it cost $25 a small price to pay to help keep these gems available to all to enjoy.

Last edited:

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Then I'll work on posting this up for June 27th-June 30th (I will plan on going down a day early to acquire the camping arrangments for the group). If that sounds good.
Perfect! Thanks!

I feel that 10 vehicle would probably be max for the spots I saw when I was down there? But I'm sure we could find a overflow site as well.

Neil, I have only been down to 4-mile once to explore the trails in it. We did drive into a couple camp sites while we were down there. I know that these trails are mostly 2 w/drive friendly until you incounter the steep spots, but will make a good base camp to explore the surrounding trails. If you would help with the coordinates to that spot that would be helpful. I can copy and paste them into our rally point from my computer over the weekend. There is no guarantee it will be available but I can certainly try for it.
I have only been once myself. I camped there for the 14er event last year. I didn't see many of the actual 4-mile trails, but used it as a base camp and went to trails such as Mount Antero. There were some areas between Buena Vista and my campsite that would accommodate dozens of vehicles. Here is an entry I made on iOverlander.com for the campsite I used.. Realizing that I've seen only a small fraction of Four Mile, I'm not adamant about using that site.

Here's a Four Mile map: http://garna.org/2013/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Fourmile-Brochure-FINAL-4.26.17-web.pdf

I don't know how much of a itinarary everyone wants in place, (I plan on using the spot as a base camp). it is an area I have grown fond of as it is only a couple hours drive from my home and from there only about 30 minutes to some epic trails, gost towns and so many other cool things to do.
Maybe we can plan one trail a day for those that interested in riding as a group. Others can splinter as they choose. I wouldn't mind leading a group on Mount Antero. Perhaps we could plan one major trail a day and use any leftover time to explore the lesser trails of Four Mile Recreation Area?

One thing is, I have never had any rangers check for it, but 75% of the back country trails (4-mile included) reqiure a yearly offroad permit. It the same permit that atv's require to be legal on the trails. I usually get mine every year in March-March it cost $25 a small price to pay to help keep these gems available to all to enjoy.
This has always been confusing to me. Do you know where to find a current trail list? All I am able to find is THIS post by @Anchor Mtn on another forum. Perhaps he can enlighten us?

Also, if you don't mind, I'd like to promote the use of the OB radio comms frequency plan: US: Ham:146.460, GMRS:15, CB:16

Thanks again!

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I'll check mine and wife's schedules
Let's not let all the talk of the Four Mile trip dissuade us from checking out the Seep Springs OHV area! How about one of the first two weekends in June?

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Basicly any trail that is open to ohv's is subject to it. Ei; side by sides motorcycles and other atv's not highway legal. You can go to Stay the trail and the State forest site for more info.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Let's not let all the talk of the Four Mile trip dissuade us from checking out the Seep Springs OHV area! How about one of the first two weekends in June?
Is that area just west of canyon city? By the gold belt loop? Went to a mountain biking area last summer for a meet-up overnighter. Was nice down there.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Basicly any trail that is open to ohv's is subject to it. Ei; side by sides motorcycles and other atv's not highway legal. You can go to Stay the trail and the State forest site for more info.
According to StayTheTrail, the list is quite small in the bigger scheme of things.

121 Road Jeep Trail (Hunter Canyon)BLM Grand Jct. Field Office
2Basin 4WD Trail – #2603GMUG National Forest – Grand Valley RD
3Big Creek Trail – #265 (+spurs)GMUG National Forest – Grand Valley RD
4Billing’s Canyon Rock Crawl RouteBLM – Grand Jct. Field Office
5Bittle Loop Trail #269GMUG National Forest – Grand Valley RD
6Boulder Canyon Rock Crawl TrailBLM – Dry Creek Area – Montrose
7Brush Creek Jeep Trail – #9738GMUG National Forest – Gunnison RD
8Cabin 4WD Trail – #2606GMUG National Forest – Grand Valley RD
9Cactus Ridge TrailBLM – Dry Creek Rec. Area – Montrose Field Office
10Calamity Canyon Rock Crawl TrailBLM – Dry Creek Rec. Area – Montrose
11Carnage Canyon Rock Crawl RouteBLM/USFS/CPW – Buena Vista/Salida
12Castle Rock Jeep Trail #881 (+spurs)GMUG National Forest – Paonia RD
13Coal Creek Mesa Trail #711 (+spurs)GMUG National Forest – Paonia RD
14Corral Gulch Trail #2658GMUG National Forest – Grand Valley RD
15Death Row Rock Crawl TrailBLM – Dry Creek Area – Montrose
16Deplar Park Jeep Trail #9769GMUG – Gunnison National Forest
17Die Trying Rock Crawl TrailBLM – Dry Creek Area – Montrose
18Flattop Jeep Trail #9863 (+spurs)GMUG – Gunnison National Forest
19Freedom Rock Crawl TrailBLM Royal Gorge Field Office – near Penrose
20Full size trails #265 & 701 (seasonally)GMUG National Forest – Paonia RD
21Gunsight Pass Trail #9585GMUG – Gunnison National Forest
22Hancock Pass Jeep Trail #9266GMUG – Gunnison National Forest
23Independence Rock Crawl TrailBLM Royal Gorge Field Office – near Penrose
24Italian Pass Jeep Trail #9642GMUG – Gunnison National Forest
25Jenny Creek 4WD Trail #808.1Boulder RD – Roosevelt National Forest
26La Fair Trail #2668GMUG National Forest – Grand Valley RD
27La Plata Canyon Full size trails #791-798San Juan National Forest – Columbine RD
28Land’s End Trail #897GMUG National Forest – Paonia RD
29Liberty Rock Crawl TrailBLM Royal Gorge Field Office – near Penrose
30Lime Ridge Jeep Trail #9624GMUG – Gunnison National Forest
31Little Coal Creek Jeep Trail #883GMUG National Forest – Paonia RD
32Little Bear Lake Trail #2660GMUG National Forest – Grand Valley RD
33Lone Cabin Jeep Trail #876GMUG National Forest – Paonia RD
34McDonald Mesa Jeep Trail #8891.BGMUG National Forest – Paonia RD
35Middle-Middle Rock Crawl RouteBLM Colorado River Valley Field Office – near Gypsum
36Mud Holes Trail #2670GMUG National Forest – Grand Valley RD
37Mud Springs Rock Crawl Routes/ AreaBLM Tres Rios Field Office – near Cortez
38Napolean Pass Jeep Trail #9540 (+spurs)GMUG – Gunnison National Forest
39Needle Rock Jeep Trails #712.1B&.1C & 881GMUG – Paonia RD
40North Bench Trail #2633GMUG National Forest – Grand Valley RD
41Old Tin Cup Pass Jeep Trail #9267.3DGMUG – Gunnison National Forest
42Patriot Rock Crawl TrailBLM Royal Gorge Field Office – near Penrose
43Rangely Rock Crawl Park (all trails)BLM White River Field Office – Rangely, CO
44Raven Mesa Trail #711GMUG National Forest – Paonia RD
45Red Canyon Trail #5118GMUG National Forest – Norwood RD
46Schoneman Ditch Camp Jeep Trail #8703.3AGMUG – Paonia RD
47Scratch and Dent Rock Crawl TrailBLM – Dry Creek Rec. Area – Montrose Field Office
48Sidewinder Jeep TrailBLM – Kremmling Field Office
49Sims Mesa Trail #6115GMUG National Forest – Ouray RD
50Spur Jeep Trail #6544.3BGMUG National Forest – Ouray RD
51Sun Creek Jeep Trail #9637GMUG – Gunnison National Forest
52Ten Falls Rock Crawl Route #8483BLM CO River Valley FO – near Gypsum
53Throughline Jeep Trail #8864GMUG National Forest – Paonia RD
54Tierod Bender Rock Crawl RouteBLM CO River Valley FO – near Gypsum
55Todd Reservoir Jeep Trail #8891GMUG National Forest – Paonia RD
56Tomichi Pass Jeep Trail #9888GMUG – Gunnison National Forest
57Topless Rock Crawl TrailBLM – Dry Creek Rec. Area – Montrose Field Office
58Union Canyon Trail #9631 (+spurs)GMUG – Gunnison National Forest
59Upper-Middle Rock Crawl Route #8469BLM CO River Valley FO – near Gypsum
60Virginia Creek Jeep Trail #814 (+spurs)GMUG National Forest – Paonia RD

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Actually that list is only an example of the popular trails. I'm pretty sure that any trail that ohv's are allowed on will technically need one. But like I said I have encounted pletty of forest rangers and never have they checked for this. I would imagne that if they have a conflict with what someone has done, they would be more likley to look for compliance. * do know 4-mile vehicles are supposed to have it. I almost think that it is just a way for all of us to help with the cost to keep current trail maintenanced (many groups can apply for funding to do trail repairs on thier adopted trails and have forest rangers on site) and possibilly re-open some that have been closed due to a event that closed them.

I'm going mnt. Biking with my son in a little while so after I get back I'll work on the ralley point when I get back.

Edy Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Denver CO
First Name
Edy
Last Name
Coyote
Member #

Yes, you need to have a ohv registration sticker for any public lands or trails. It's available at most State wildlife offices. To get one you need a bill of sale, fill out a form and pay $25 (not sure if fee is one time only). You'll be given a temporary registration and the permanent sticker comes in the mail.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Yes, you need to have a ohv registration sticker for any public lands or trails. It's available at most State wildlife offices. To get one you need a bill of sale, fill out a form and pay $25 (not sure if fee is one time only). You'll be given a temporary registration and the permanent sticker comes in the mail.
According to the StayTheTrails link above it is only required on licensed vehicles for the listed trails.

The majority of the four-wheel drive roads that we travel in Colorado are actually roads that are kept open for purposes other than Recreation. The OHV sticker comes into play for roads that are kept open solely for recreation.

More from that link:

In addition to the many miles of Off-Highway Vehicle trails and ‘roads open to all vehicles’, there are a number of Full Size Trails open for recreational travel in Colorado. Although these trails allow for full width vehicles, they differ from most BLM and U.S. Forest Service roads as they are designed for recreational, motorized use rather than simply for transportation. A Colorado Off-Highway Vehicle Permitis therefore required on any licensed/plated vehicle that is used for recreation on these trails. This $25.25 permit must be displayed on any full size vehicle traveling these trails even if that vehicle has a currently registered license plate from Colorado or any other state.
I wouldn't be so adamant about it except I don't want participants to believe this license is required for this event. The only nearby trail I can remember on the list is Tomichi Pass.