Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Denver CO
First Name
Edy
Last Name
Coyote
Member #

I'd be down for something a little later. April still a little cold for my blood!

Edy Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Denver CO
First Name
Edy
Last Name
Coyote
Member #

I am interested, need to know the dates before I can commit.

I have not been to Rampart Range in a few years, but the last time I was, it was trashed. Just wondering if that has changed or maybe a good place to make a cleanup trip?
Yeah rampart has been taken over by dirt bikes

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Rampart is atv and dirtbike mainly. Very busy place. But Mnt Herman has some pretty cool places to explore and a couple out of the way canpsites that are very unique. Most of the trails are stock friendly. Now that they have closed 85% of the area from target shooting it's better area to explore. (Unfortunatly people have ruined the area for those purposes only a small portion is still legal) I would not be suprised if it doesn't get completly closed because of just a few iresponsable people (a little rant) but I really love the area. Towards the southern end near Rampart reservoir and not far from Woodland park (a great place to meet for this trail if you are coming from the south is behind the Mc'Donalds in Woodland park). is a very cool trail to run (Schubarth Loop) It is rather narrow in spots but for the most part very doable with a stock rig also. Just may need a spotter occasionally. I'm not sure if these trails are currently open but should be?

Last edited:
Reactions: Neal A. Tew

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I really won't be available to do much until May 25th, but then until August 8th I can go (except for the vac. plans already set in stone). Hoping to have my rig back together by then.

303JETSET

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Totten
Member #

Sadly I won’t be available for this trip. We took Rampart back to Denver from Ferris after our last outing. Beautiful drive. Far better than 25 north on a Sunday in a loaded down Jeep dragging a trailer.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Anything new on the subject, I can't seem to receive private messages or following the regional group...
No, but thanks for checking.

It's my fault as I got distracted with a couple new part-time jobs. I'll be back in town tomorrow and should be able to focus on it more. Thankfully we have more options now that it has warmed.

Any suggestions appreciated.

I probably said it before, but please stay tuned all....

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

4-mile by Buena-Vista has lots of dispersed camping and pretty tame trails. It would be a great area for a meet-up/campout. Or cooser to home Bunce School house/Iron Clads trails system. Should be able to camp there also.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
4-mile by Buena-Vista has lots of dispersed camping and pretty tame trails. It would be a great area for a meet-up/campout. Or cooser to home Bunce School house/Iron Clads trails system. Should be able to camp there also.
Great idea, @JDGreens. Buena Vista / 4-mile was on my list of possibilities. I'm not familiar with the other area.

Since you suggested it, would you like to propose a date for Buena Vista? Would you be interested in setting up a Rally Point?

I think the only trails I've done in the area recently are Aspen Ridge and Mount Antero. Which trails were you thinking of?

Edy Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Denver CO
First Name
Edy
Last Name
Coyote
Member #

I apologize for not responding to some of you sooner. For some reason I didn't receive the notifications I was used to.

I've had something come up that is making it difficult for me to schedule a weekend as soon as I'd hoped. Are any of you interested and able to do an overnighter not including a Saturday?

Also, it's been a few years since I've been to the areas discussed above. Thursday, APR 2nd, I'm going to do an exploratory day trip starting in Canon City and going through Seep Springs OHV to Red Canyon Park and then to Cripple Creek via Shelf Road. I then plan to return to Hwy 50 via Phantom Canyon Rd. (Or in backwards order.) Please let me know if you'd have any interest in coming along. For those in the Colorado Springs area you could probably meet us in Cripple Creek or Victor after coming over via Gold Camp and Old Stage Rds.
Did you end up doing Seep Springs trail? I'm considering taking the ATV out there for the time. Is it crowded?

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Did you end up doing Seep Springs trail? I'm considering taking the ATV out there for the time. Is it crowded?
No, I didn't. Life got in the way. It was never crowded when I was there in the past, but I don't remember if was during any peak time.

Are you interested in camping? We could still do a Rally Point. From there we could explore the immediate area, Red Canyon park, make a loop of Shelf Road and Phantom Canyon, etc.

Edy Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Denver CO
First Name
Edy
Last Name
Coyote
Member #

No, I didn't. Life got in the way. It was never crowded when I was there in the past, but I don't remember if was during any peak time.

Are you interested in camping? We could still do a Rally Point. From there we could explore the immediate area, Red Canyon park, make a loop of Shelf Road and Phantom Canyon, etc.
I'm open to a trip schedule permitting. I'll ne in Moab Memorial day and Yellowstone in July but June is pretty open

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I'm open to a trip schedule permitting. I'll ne in Moab Memorial day and Yellowstone in July but June is pretty open
I'm pretty open in June except for 22-23rd. Would you like to suggest a time?