US Rocky Mountain Colorado - Engineer Pass, Cinnamon Pass, & More!

• HTML tutorial

BroncoTrail

Rank IV

Influencer II

Cottonwood Heights, UT, USA
First Name
Bronco
Last Name
Trail
Member #

Engineer Pass will be the toughest trail, Cinnamon Pass will be slightly easier, and the rest of the trails we decide to do after that will be even easier. We may move a little faster or slower depending on how the group feels. I will be in no rush, but if we're making great time and the group feels good about getting in some extra trail time, then we'll do that. Comms info and GPX files will be provided closer to the trip. We will not be sleeping in any towns. There is extensive information on Engineer Pass and Cinnamon Pass found all over the Internet so please check it out if you haven't been before. I'd recommend a 4WD vehicle with 33" tires or better, however, I will leave it up to you to do your research and decide if your rig is capable. Plenty of skilled drivers have done it in less capable rigs so I will not turn anyone away if they feel confident. Reminder: Tuesday, 7/4/2023 is Independence Day.

Saturday, 7/1/2023
Meet in Ouray, CO for breakfast.
Begin driving along Engineer Pass trail toward Lake City, CO.
Camp out along the trail.

Sunday, 7/2/2023
Arrive in Lake City, CO.
Begin driving along Cinnamon Pass toward Silverton, CO

Monday, 7/3/2023
Once we finish Cinnamon Pass, we will have many overlanding and trail options in the area such as California Pass, Picayne and Placer Gulches, San Juan County Road 2, Burns Gulch, Hurricane Pass, etc. We'll hit some more trails and then find a place to camp for the night.

Tuesday, 7/4/2023
Have breakfast at camp, or in town. (maybe Silverton, CO)
Drive home.

Reactions: IceIceBaby42

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Engineer Pass will be the toughest trail, Cinnamon Pass will be slightly easier, and the rest of the trails we decide to do after that will be even easier. We may move a little faster or slower depending on how the group feels. I will be in no rush, but if we're making great time and the group feels good about getting in some extra trail time, then we'll do that. Comms info and GPX files will be provided closer to the trip. We will not be sleeping in any towns. There is extensive information on Engineer Pass and Cinnamon Pass found all over the Internet so please check it out if you haven't been before. I'd recommend a 4WD vehicle with 33" tires or better, however, I will leave it up to you to do your research and decide if your rig is capable. Plenty of skilled drivers have done it in less capable rigs so I will not turn anyone away if they feel confident. Reminder: Tuesday, 7/4/2023 is Independence Day.

Saturday, 7/1/2023
Meet in Ouray, CO for breakfast.
Begin driving along Engineer Pass trail toward Lake City, CO.

Sunday, 7/2/2023
Arrive in Lake City, CO.
Begin driving along Cinnamon Pass toward Silverton, CO

Monday, 7/3/2023
Once we finish Cinnamon Pass, we will have many overlanding and trail options in the area such as California Pass, Picayne and Placer Gulches, San Juan County Road 2, Burns Gulch, Hurricane Pass, etc. We'll hit some more trails and then find a place to camp for the night.

Tuesday, 7/4/2023
Have breakfast at camp, or in town. (maybe Silverton, CO)
Drive home.
I highly recommend taking California to hurricane to corkscrew since it is so close. It is very scenic and since it's not quite as hard you can move at a faster pace. There's also Imogene pass that's always at the top of my list if you have time.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Also, that very first section of engineer will be the hardest section you have on your list. It is not maintained to the degree that the last half of engineer and cinnamon is. I encourage you to keep an eye on all the status pages for its current conditions.

Reactions: BroncoTrail

BroncoTrail

Rank IV

Influencer II

First Name
Bronco
Last Name
Trail
Member #

@Neal A. Tew

A fellow OB member is asking if they'd be OK going on this trip with a full-size Ford F-150 Raptor. I haven't been on these particular trails yet, but from the YouTube videos I've seen, I don't think he'll have a problem. What do you think?

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
@Neal A. Tew

A fellow OB member is asking if they'd be OK going on this trip with a full-size Ford F-150 Raptor. I haven't been on these particular trails yet, but from the YouTube videos I've seen, I don't think he'll have a problem. What do you think?
The main loop of engineer and cinnamon passes shouldn't be a problem. However, the section of engineer (aka Mineral Creek) that runs from the Million Dollar Hwy over to the intersections near Animas Forks can be significantly more challenging. To be more specific, if I recall correctly, the hardest section is actually between the Poughkeepsie gulch turn off and the intersections near animas. I might avoid that. It's not maintained nearly to the degree that the Eastern sections are.

Have you decided on any other trails?

BroncoTrail

Rank IV

Influencer II

First Name
Bronco
Last Name
Trail
Member #

The main loop of engineer and cinnamon passes shouldn't be a problem. However, the section of engineer (aka Mineral Creek) that runs from the Million Dollar Hwy over to the intersections near Animas Forks can be significantly more challenging. To be more specific, if I recall correctly, the hardest section is actually between the Poughkeepsie gulch turn off and the intersections near animas. I might avoid that. It's not maintained nearly to the degree that the Eastern sections are.

OK thanks.
I am planning on adding the exact routes you mentioned.
California -> Hurricane -> Corkscrew

Thanks btw!!!

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW

OK thanks.
I am planning on adding the exact routes you mentioned.
California -> Hurricane -> Corkscrew

Thanks btw!!!
You are quite welcome.

I just revisited your schedule to refresh my memory. It's that very first section you're planning on the first day that is the hardest of anything you have listed.

A couple of very important things to keep in mind, it can sometimes be difficult to find camping for long stretches on some of those tracks and especially so on busy weekends. Also, you want to watch Trail status pages diligently because this was an exceptional snow year. Some of the passes may be late to open. Let me know if you need any resources if I haven't sent them to you already.

There's likely to be an insane amount of side by side and ATV traffic on engineer and cinnamon. Making the climb up engineer pass in the direction you're going can at times be challenging just because of all the traffic. At least you'll have the right of way, but that doesn't mean all the other knuckleheads will know that or even yield.

I encourage everyone to have a good radio for communication. Gmrs is usually the easiest to get everybody on board with.

This discussion makes me want to jump on board until I realize which weekend it is. :)

What size group are you expecting?

Reactions: Advtres

BroncoTrail

Rank IV

Influencer II

First Name
Bronco
Last Name
Trail
Member #

You are quite welcome.

I just revisited your schedule to refresh my memory. It's that very first section you're planning on the first day that is the hardest of anything you have listed.

A couple of very important things to keep in mind, it can sometimes be difficult to find camping for long stretches on some of those tracks and especially so on busy weekends. Also, you want to watch Trail status pages diligently because this was an exceptional snow year. Some of the passes may be late to open. Let me know if you need any resources if I haven't sent them to you already.

There's likely to be an insane amount of side by side and ATV traffic on engineer and cinnamon. Making the climb up engineer pass in the direction you're going can at times be challenging just because of all the traffic. At least you'll have the right of way, but that doesn't mean all the other knuckleheads will know that or even yield.

I encourage everyone to have a good radio for communication. Gmrs is usually the easiest to get everybody on board with.

This discussion makes me want to jump on board until I realize which weekend it is. :)

Yeah Independence Day weekend will be jampacked! Oh well, it is what it is! :laughing:

So far it's just me and probably one or two other rigs. But there's still two months before the event so maybe more people will join.

Reactions: Advtres

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
You are quite welcome.

Yeah Independence Day weekend will be jampacked! Oh well, it is what it is! :laughing:

So far it's just me and probably one or two other rigs. But there's still two months before the event so maybe more people will join.
I asked about group size because it will be way easier to find camping spots for two trucks versus five. I very much like what you're doing by moving along and camping in a new place every night, but whenever I'm leading a group of any size we always end up playing it safe with a pre-planned base camp.

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

@Neal A. Tew

I would not want to try and bring a full size PU up mineral creek. Some of that trail can be a challenge in a 4 door jeep.

John Lanford

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Montrose, CO, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Lanford
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ki6clm
I would like to join you guys if possible. I live in montrose. Would most likely be driving my jeep and possibly a small trailer if camping.
Sure! Have you done the route before? I am not sure how a trailer would fare on some of the switchbacks. It'll be my first time there.
Great! Yes, I know the area well. The trailer is very small, with an RTT on top. Both the jeep and trailer are running 37" tires.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I would like to join you guys if possible. I live in montrose. Would most likely be driving my jeep and possibly a small trailer if camping.
Sure! Have you done the route before? I am not sure how a trailer would fare on some of the switchbacks. It'll be my first time there.
I rode with some guys that took trailers up engineer pass before, but it wasn't that hardest section AKA mineral Creek. We also went early enough in the day that we avoided a lot of traffic.

I think corkscrew pass would be your tightest switchbacks in what you have planned.

DaJudge

Rank III

Enthusiast III

New Mexico
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Judge
Member #

I highly recommend taking California to hurricane to corkscrew since it is so close. It is very scenic and since it's not quite as hard you can move at a faster pace. There's also Imogene pass that's always at the top of my list if you have time.
I can definitely vouch for the suggestion to do California, Hurricane, and Corkscrew! Beautiful route! My wife and I always try to have lunch at Lake Como if it isn't too crowded.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I can definitely vouch for the suggestion to do California, Hurricane, and Corkscrew! Beautiful route! My wife and I always try to have lunch at Lake Como if it isn't too crowded.
Agreed!

Does anyone know if there's any reason you couldn't camp there?