Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Check your bolts that hold the bed on the frame. this week i kept hearing a clunk when hitting bumps i figured it was where my exhaust tip rubs my rear shackle its normally just a squeek but i thought maybe something shifted i checked and things were the same so i got in the bed and started making the suspension cycle to see if i could replicate the sound, no luck but as i was getting out stepping off the bumper i had weight from my arms on the bed and it made the noise. So i checked the bolts holding the bed to the frame and sure enough the one on the front passenger side was nearly falling out, I tightened it up and no more clunk. So check your bolts folks especially if you go off road often. We go on some pretty rough trails so i figure it worked its self loose on the rocks bouncing around, so this weekend ill be going through every bolt on the truck front to back to make sure they are all tight, if you offroad often you probably should too.

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
If it happens again I would opt for adding some blue locktite onto it. Do those bolts have lock washers by chance?

I used to own a single cylinder 650cc dualsport, worked on military trucks, and now work on military helicopters. All of which encounter consistent vibes while in use. All were highly subject to things like that.

The way we prevent it on helicopters (Extreme vibes) is lock washers on non-dangerous/non-essential components. Safety cable AND lock washers on the super important bolts/nuts. Always creating a direction of pull on the safety cable/or wire in a tightening direction.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

If it happens again I would opt for adding some blue locktite onto it. Do those bolts have lock washers by chance?

I used to own a single cylinder 650cc dualsport, worked on military trucks, and now work on military helicopters. All of which encounter consistent vibes while in use. All were highly subject to things like that.

The way we prevent it on helicopters (Extreme vibes) is lock washers on non-dangerous/non-essential components. Safety cable AND lock washers on the super important bolts/nuts. Always creating a direction of pull on the safety cable/or wire in a tightening direction.
I figure they would have been corroded in place by now. I just tightened it down if it happens again it will get lock tight. Definately not going to use safety wire i hated using that on brake bolts and axle u clip bolts when i built dragsters, it about as bad to work with as steel braided line with AN fittings

Reactions: great08

great08

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elizabeth City, NC, USA
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Mitchell
I figure they would have been corroded in place by now. I just tightened it down if it happens again it will get lock tight. Definately not going to use safety wire i hated using that on brake bolts and axle u clip bolts when i built dragsters, it about as bad to work with as steel braided line with AN fittings
I would totally stay away from it as well. It totally is a pita!

Locktite and lock washers should do to trick.

RJCanyon

Rank V

Member III

California, USA
First Name
Bobby
Last Name
Horne
Member #

Good to know, I'll check my Canyon out. I have never heard any noises but it won't hurt to check.

Hirvy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Jones OK
Member #

Of all the racket I've heard from my suspension I'll have to check these too. I've already had to replace one of the DSSV's and have the rear leafs taken apart and greased up but still hearing some pops when there's some lean when turning.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Mine was the passenger front bolt but im sure it could be any of the 4 bolts. Mine squeeked when off road and when hitting bumps. Here recently i lost a wheel weight too but i know thats not a gm problem i just offroad too much i guess so i gotta go get it balanced again. To figure out real quick if the bolts are loose just go around the truck and try lifting the bed at all 4 corners if its loose you will feel and hear it.