Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Whetstone, AZ, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Cashman
Member #

Last May, myself and Matt, along with my brother and some other friends did the Arizona BDR. Matt was able to complete the whole trip, but my brother and I and our other friends made it to the Grand Canyon, but were not able to continue on due to time constraints and a broken brake line on the front of my brothers motorcycle.

This year, in July, we are planning on doing the Colorado BDR. Same group of guys, plus a few more. Along with my Jeep and Matts Sprinter, we should have a Roxor, a couple more jeeps and about 5 motorcycles. This will be part of Matt's Continental Divide trip, where once we are at the finish at the Wyoming border, he will Continue on North, hopefully up to Canada along the Continental Divide.
My friend Chris will have to cut out early about halfway through the BDR, and head back home here to Southern Az, due to time constraints. The rest of us will head back south to Grand Junction, and hit the Kokopelli Trail down to Moab. From there the rest of us will split up and head to our respective homes in Arizona, New Mexico, Kansas, Texas, and Missouri.

So far we have the route planned out, and are gathering equipment and checking vehicles.
This will be a two week trip, and I believe it will be epic.

20200512_063436.jpg

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I'd love to see the route you're planning.

Trailjeeper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Whetstone, AZ, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Cashman
Member #

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I'd love to see the route you're planning.
T. Basically follows the exact Colorado bdr route then heads south west towards Utah. If you go to
Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route (COBDR) Map & Information it has an interactive map at the top of the page and lots of information. The BDRs are geared towards motorcycles but a lot of 4x4 guys enjoy the routes as well.
Thanks.

I was under the impression that some portions were single track only and required a detour for trucks. I don't recall where I got that from, however.

Trailjeeper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Whetstone, AZ, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Cashman
Member #

Thanks.

I was under the impression that some portions were single track only and required a detour for trucks. I don't recall where I got that from, however.
I think there are a couple of bdrs that have single track, but that is what makes it fun, figuring a detour and exploring new places.

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
Hi Neal,
From what we have been able to determine, the CO BDR route should all be accessible for 4wd vehicles. Larrie @Luinil Explorations did it with a group last fall. They detoured off the route in a few places, but not because it wasn't accessible. You are correct that some of the other BDR routes have single-track sections.
Matt

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Trailjeeper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Whetstone, AZ, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Cashman
Member #

Well, it is less than 3 weeks away. My brother and I have been working on a trailer to pull behind my Jeep. Our dad used this trailer, a 1961 Barton's cargo trailer in his landscaping business. He retired but kept the trailer. Just about exactly 10 years ago the trailer was one of the first victims of the Monument fire. My brother and I have been resurrecting the trailer to use for gear and , if need be, carry a motorcyle. We should have it finished in a few days.
We are calling it the Phoenix (Because it is rising from the ashes) Moto-Toter.

Apart from that, we have all been getting rigs and equipment ready.

Our route is following the actual BDR routes to Wyoming border, then down to Grand Junction, to follow the Kokopeli Trail to Moab where we will stay a day or two. From Moab, down past Grand Canyon, to Sedona to do a trail or two there, and then home. Some of the guys will be leaving after Moab, while Matt will be continuing on his Continental Divide Trip from the Wyoming Border

.Wheel hight.jpg

Last edited:

Trailjeeper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Whetstone, AZ, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Cashman
Member #

We are back in Cortez. We pretty much completed the whole BDR with a few exceptions: our first detour was to Gunnison for a great Motel, hot showers and good food. There was also a short detour around a section where a culvert had washed away. A third detour was away from forest fire activity. The last detour at the Wyoming border was due to rough weather making one of the roads al but impassible . All in all , good trip. More information, photos and updates to come when I get home to my computer . .