DeSoto County, Mississippi, United States
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kephart
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
The plan is to explore Colorado while making our way over to Utah. We will also be camping along the way. Our goal is to unplug from the world as much as we can and enjoy the time spent together with friends. Off road trailers are welcome and minimal tires need to be 31 inch. A winch is not required. Good attitude is required. The trip will last around 14 days with the opportunity to join at at time.

View Rally Point
Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Stormcrow

Rank IV

Traveler III

Houston, TX
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Bleakley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5DSB
We'll be up around Pagosa Springs from the 22nd to 26th and then over by Telluride from the 26th to the 30th if you're in the area around then.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Yes I’ll be following the trans America trail for the most part. But if the opportunity comes up for detours then if the group wants to explore we will.
I was guessing as much since you were starting in Trinidad. I might be up for a portion of it.

I bet others besides myself would find a rough itinerary to be helpful.

ovrlnd_escape

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kephart
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
I was guessing as much since you were starting in Trinidad. I might be up for a portion of it.

I bet others besides myself would find a rough itinerary to be helpful.
Honestly we have never set one but the plan will be Trinidad then Ouray and telluride and possibly make it to Moab. But nothing is in stone

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Honestly we have never set one but the plan will be Trinidad then Ouray and telluride and possibly make it to Moab. But nothing is in stone
There's a whole lot of CO between Trinidad and Ouray. I've done the Ouray stuff multiple times and was just there this weekend. I haven't done all the eastern stuff closer to me. I had to dig up an old TAT .gpx file to be reminded of the route. You'll be passing right by a Rally Point near Westcliffe that I have for your second weekend. You'll probably be there a few days before us, however.

I'll keep watch to see if there's a way I can tag along for part. How many is in your group?

ovrlnd_escape

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kephart
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
There's a whole lot of CO between Trinidad and Ouray. I've done the Ouray stuff multiple times and was just there this weekend. I haven't done all the eastern stuff closer to me. I had to dig up an old TAT .gpx file to be reminded of the route. You'll be passing right by a Rally Point near Westcliffe that I have for your second weekend. You'll probably be there a few days before us, however.

I'll keep watch to see if there's a way I can tag along for part. How many is in your group?
Only two vehicles right now confirmed. However definitely would like more. We definitely need to get together when you get out there.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I’m following, I’ll be going through CO from 7/20 to 7/25, stopping in Cortez, then Imogene and on to Sand Dunes NP and Medano Pass. Would be great to bump into you guys.
I don't want to sidetrack this thread, but Eddie I hope you're doing more than just Imogene while you're in that area. Those trails far surpass Medano!

Reactions: Edyspugedy

ovrlnd_escape

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kephart
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
I’m following, I’ll be going through CO from 7/20 to 7/25, stopping in Cortez, then Imogene and on to Sand Dunes NP and Medano Pass. Would be great to bump into you guys.
Sounds like a great plan! I’m hoping to get a chance to meet and greet as many fellow overland bound members as possible!

Edyspugedy

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Brentwood, California, United States
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
McGurn
Member #

I don't want to sidetrack this thread, but Eddie I hope you're doing more than just Imogene while you're in that area. Those trails far surpass Medano!
Good to know, it will be my first time in CO, still doing lots of research. Came across a site that said a lot of the trails were closed. Is that not true?

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Good to know, it will be my first time in CO, still doing lots of research. Came across a site that said a lot of the trails were closed. Is that not true?
Most everything should be open by late July except maybe Poughkeepsie Gulch.

Here's a good resource:

And another:

ovrlnd_escape

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Matt
Last Name
Kephart
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
There will always be misinformation out there like that. I called people in Trinidad and a few in Ouray and right now trails are open.

Edyspugedy

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Brentwood, California, United States
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
McGurn
Member #

Most everything should be open by late July except maybe Poughkeepsie Gulch.

Here's a good resource:

And another:
Thank you!

Hyland33

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Leicester, MA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Hyland
Member #

I commented in your trip planning thread, my buddy isn't positive about making it out next month so it looks like i'll be tagging along with you guys.