Coffee Set Ups

• HTML tutorial

PintSize

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Corpus Christi, Texas
Member #

I'm a "set it and forget it" kind of guy, so I normally just leave it sit until the next day so I just go with a coarse grind.

I'm no fan of the flavor of instant, but you can't beat the convenience, that's why I'm planning on trying this on the trail. Best of both worlds?

I have seen the bag filters, not sure it's really worth the hassle. I compost, so, the bucket just gets dumped in the bin.
Instant coffee...brings back memories of my grandparents dairy farm and their two sip coffee cups.

Last year I thought instant coffee was a great idea. It does the job but I was disappointed, I can only stand instant if I mix it with hot chocolate mix. I also did a month overseas on a ship a few months after that with only instant coffee and no chocolate. I almost perished!

Archtop67

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Palm Beach Florida
Member #

haha yup! thats funny because before I knew anything about coffee mostly because the yuck my dad drank id have to leave room.. not throwing any brand names there lol but had been to a couple places where it smelled good but tasted awful... anyway to force myself to drink it id buy swiss miss coco and mix it with it too! was kinda tastey but not like a heavy cream laden latte I can make now with my Lever machines lol

amateurhour

Rank III

Advocate II

I have a little rocket stove that's basically an l shaped piece of steel tubing with a pot holder on top. I can burn twigs and get a pretty solid fire going. I couple that with a lodge cast iron (small) for eggs or bacon and on the bottom part of the bracket I put a little one cup percolator from the 50s that I picked up on etsy. It fits perfectly below the cast iron pan overhang.

I pre-grind some beans and toss them in a little canvas drawstring for the trip.

Reactions: JoJoez

Archtop67

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Palm Beach Florida
Member #

For me, being a specialty coffee roaster I have a bunch of different ways to make coffee however my super addiction to incredible espresso -strait up no cream and sugar added ! ( not commercial industrial coffee) that IM kind of routed down a narrow path... hey... coffee is coffee and people like it for different reasons so I believe whatever gets someone to their nirvana is perfect! :D For us in the states and want the best espresso can offer, not to mention obviously we spend money on our rigs, why is coffee compromised! lol. http://www.portaspresso.com/default.htm.
Im going to order his manual screw down version after I get my wheel bearings replaced ( ill do it) and a new front winch bumper... those take priority at the moment! oh! and maybe a new mobile HF radio! KB5TQT ( just passed General Class Amateur Radio Ticket)

LVCoffeeguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

North Las Vegas, Nevada
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Monson
Member #

Man! If you read thru the 18 pages of this I’d say people are really stepping up their coffee game over the last few years! We use all kind of brewers but must agree that the Grinder does help significantly! I’d rather have pre ground than to use a crappy paddle grinder to get my beans ready. Otherwise, contact time, temp and filtering are the only things I focus on. Here is a bit of a fun pic from one of the camp outs we did with some friends.

upload_2018-6-20_23-47-15.jpeg

Kelso

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Cochrane, Alberta, Canada
Member #

My wife doesn't drink coffee so I bought a stainless steel GSI commuter java press. It's a travel mug and press all in one, no extra equipment or filters required. It's perfect for just myself and I pre-grind enough coffee beans before we leave.

Reactions: Aussie571

Archtop67

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Palm Beach Florida
Member #

Man! If you read thru the 18 pages of this I’d say people are really stepping up their coffee game over the last few years! We use all kind of brewers but must agree that the Grinder does help significantly! I’d rather have pre ground than to use a crappy paddle grinder to get my beans ready. Otherwise, contact time, temp and filtering are the only things I focus on. Here is a bit of a fun pic from one of the camp outs we did with some friends.

View attachment 59392
I hope you were not alone! haha excellent!

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I am not an addict but I will kill for coffee that is good.....How to make it fast and easy?

Jim

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

We take a Mr. Coffee Jr. . I load it up before bed . First thing when I get up, hit the button. I use 1/2 & 1/2, and ground cinnamon. She gets her coffee in bed and everyone is a happy camper! Buy the way, I dont drink the stuff!

Red Earth Runner

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Bethany, OK
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5AXG
I have an aeropress and a cheap plastic Walmart pour-over brewing cone rig. They both do the job.

If you like fiddling with trendy gadgets or small cup expresso, the aeropress has appeal (and a bit less trash - tiny piece of filter paper for the filter).

But to my mind, the easiest and fastest = the pour-over cone + and a pack of regular filters (or splurge on Melita cones - but why?). Heat water, put filter in cone, coffee in filter, set rig atop cup, pour water in - done. Cleanup = lift filter out of cone and drop in trash sack.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk