Coffee Set Ups

• HTML tutorial

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

I ended up getting a Coffee Gator thermal pour-over to try out, based on your recommendation, @theBROFESSOR.

Very handy! I like it more than the French Presses I've had (far easier cleanup) and more even than traditional cowboy coffee in a percolator. I usually camp and travel solo; this serves the same purpose and can be as strong or light as one likes. It is nicely self-contained, perfect for brewing directly into the 17oz thermal cup you're going to drink it from. Best lid I've seen yet on a travel mug. I can stash a full 17oz mug of hot coffee in my pack or saddle bags for a hike or bike ride.

Now that I've shown my kid how cool it is and how well it works, I'm probably going to have to get another one.

Awesome! Now I have found that the CoffeeGator people make a french press. My wife would probably kill me if I buy another form of coffee maker but...she will get over it. lol. I love the pour over and glad it works for you. I love how simple and easy it is. The product really is amazing and I use at least the cup every day at work and take it on trips. Im thinking I might need to try their french press at the office, but not sure. Now I'm having to make Brazilian pour over coffee not only for myself but for several others here each day. Not sure if I want to start something else also. lol.

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Awesome! Now I have found that the CoffeeGator people make a french press. My wife would probably kill me if I buy another form of coffee maker but...she will get over it. lol. I love the pour over and glad it works for you. I love how simple and easy it is. The product really is amazing and I use at least the cup every day at work and take it on trips. Im thinking I might need to try their french press at the office, but not sure. Now I'm having to make Brazilian pour over coffee not only for myself but for several others here each day. Not sure if I want to start something else also. lol.
French press is nice. What I like about it is the ability to leave the grounds in longer for heartier taste, longer brew. Nowhere near as easy ti dispose of the grounds afterward, though.

I just bought another of the CoffeeGator pour over mugs as a surprise fro my daughter. So mine will be more available now. Ha!

Last edited:
Reactions: theBROFESSOR

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

French press is nice. What I like about it is the ability to leave the grounds in longer for heartier taste, longer brew. Nowhere near as easy ti dispose of the grounds afterward, though.

I just bouht another of the CoffeeGator pour over mugs as a surprise fro my daughter. So mine will be more availble now. Ha!
Very true. The french press quality of coffee is very good. But the cleanup on the pourover is unbeatable. Really don't know where that has been all my life. lol.

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Very true. The french press quality of coffee is very good. But the cleanup on the pourover is unbeatable. Really don't know where that has been all my life. lol.
GSI and Jetboil both make French Presses for their systems, too, and neither are glass. Purists may poo-poo that, but I have both and though the Jetboil press insert is new and hasnt been tested yet, I’ve had the GSI press for years and have used it regularly, both on the road and in a house. Tastes just fine to me. I’m no aficianado or purist, to be sure.

I think a lot of folks who have never tried a French Press think its fancier or more involved than it is. Its really super simple in concept and implementation. No working parts, nothing fancy about it.

Markus

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Germany
Member #

I use my 20 year old Kelly Kettle and some instant expresso ( like Nescafe Azera ). Preferably accompanying a cuban cigar. Quick, easy and less to clean up afterwards.

Reactions: Tim

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Yep, that’s pretty much my go to setup too. Minus the cigar!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

genera_lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno/Tahoe Area
First Name
Trip
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GPV
haha exactly but I had 3 triple espressos this morning and yesterday at the cupping table... tomorrow is a roast day... IT NEVER STOPS! lol
All I can imagine is you twitching through that whole post as you type it haha

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Archtop67

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Palm Beach Florida
Member #

IMG_4604.jpg This is my bugout espresso Kit... its called a portapresso, a gentleman in Australia makes it and its hand made to order and basically there is no commercial machine that out produces its quality in the cup! he machines 2 models.. one is crank down pressure and the other like mine i can use any air pump... i have a high pressure bicycle fork pump and a floor tire pump I use and even an electric pump on my Rig.. all I have to do is hand grind and add boiling water! i can pull triple shots of pure crema all day long! when you order he puts you on a list and he messages you within a few months when it is complete and if you are still desiring the very hard to get heirloom portable espresso machine you send him the funds and he sends it right out! http://www.portaspresso.com/ i have machines upwards of 15k 3 group la marzoccos that do not produce better espresso than this portable machine! the picture with the latte isnt my finest work was just a quick throw together I did.. I generally dont do the milk in mine

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: JasBec

PintSize

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Corpus Christi, Texas
Member #

I've tried all kinds of set ups, pour over, Aero Press, and french press. I have a stainless steel french press that's bullet proof and that's my go to. I take it with me for overseas work, toss it in the truck for a camping or hunting trip and it works fine. Yeah its a little messy to clean up but way better than some of the horrible Aero Press messes I've made.

Reactions: genera_lee and Road

Archtop67

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Palm Beach Florida
Member #

Ive been a specialty coffee roaster for almost 20 years and the one thing I know is that there are many good ways to make coffee enjoyable... but the one most important tool is grinder... that can make the difference! i have many lol but i have some german handhelds that can make an exquisite cup a joe! Im an espressoman however there is no way to get around good equipment since everything is concentrated.. thus the technique is highly controlled if you want a repeatable shot... I too havent been sold on the Aeropress.. its ok.. but its not really a coffee and not really an espresso which they marketed it as... its still a great option for space and durability... fortunately I dont need or drink milk often so I get that space in my rig for other things ... if someone is looking for a way to try espresso for overland and camping.. there is a new device we have been testing out/... ( i dont sell them but i have one for R&D) and it is called flaire espresso ... I have a few out in the feild being tested and so far everyone is really enjoying being able to make espresso with boiling water, a good quality espresso hand grinder and the flaire espresso https://www.flairespresso.com lever machine... the cool part is that it breaks down into a carrying case too! i personally have something else but its 8x the cost so not reasonable plus its scary to think of it getting damaged or lost while overlanding! lol other than that.. a cup and some nylons! again the grinder is there its at!

Reactions: PintSize

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

While I haven't yet used it for camping, I just recently started making cold press coffee using a Toddy cold press coffee maker. Since it tastes so smooth, I've actually quit using the drip maker at work and just bring a mason jar full of the cold press and keep[ it in the fridge. I just pour a few ounces in my cup, add hot water from the water filter machine and off I go. I plan to do the same for camping. All I'll need to bring is a mason jar with the concentrate in it.

One half pint of concentrate lasts me all week at work, so, it should work great out on the trail. Add 3 oz of coffee, top off with hot water.... no grounds or filters to mess with.

Archtop67

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Palm Beach Florida
Member #

Toddys are awesome especially in summer! if you grind a little finer, you can make it quicker just not in bulk like that! but it sure taste good! and 20% less caffeine! the alkaloids like Caffeine add to the bittering flavor similar to how hops in beer balances that out... if the roast is fresh and good lower caffine it'll be smooth like you cant believe! well I guess you CAN! lol one thing i do like about the concentrate you are making is, its better and quicker than instant and when you add water it can be hot or cold! :D i think that is an excellent overland product !

Keep it cold when storing and its good for a couple weeks!

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I'm a "set it and forget it" kind of guy, so I normally just leave it sit until the next day so I just go with a coarse grind.

I'm no fan of the flavor of instant, but you can't beat the convenience, that's why I'm planning on trying this on the trail. Best of both worlds?

I have seen the bag filters, not sure it's really worth the hassle. I compost, so, the bucket just gets dumped in the bin.

Reactions: PintSize