Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

I've been using my Coleman Camping Coffee Maker. It's big and it's slow and has a glass carafe, but it makes good coffee.

Chad
We've used one of those for many years. They are great, but at altitude the water boils before it's the correct temp. so the coffee is weak and lukewarm. Now we only use it for beach camping, or camping at lower altitudes.

Reactions: JasBec

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

Did the via thing while backpacking. Moved to the french press and loved it, but its a mess and you use alot of water on clean up. Starting to look for a good pour over setup for my counter culture coffee. Im going hipster on this one!
Check out GSI's new ultralight pour over. It gets great reviews and looks easy to clean up. French Press is messy to clean. And I prefer the flavor of pour over.

Reactions: JimInBC

theMightyGoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

Definitely check out a pourover if you don't have one. It is gonna be simpler to clean than an Aeropress but you're still doing one cup at a time if you only have one. Either way, great coffee.

And I'm with you regarding beer if not coffee! (Or better yet, coffee beers!) ;)

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
GSI has a pour-over system which can make 30 oz. or 50 oz. depending on which size yo get.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Thanks Kent. I'm having fun catching up on all the great ideas and info here.
I knew you would join OB eventually my wife said that after you left from our meeting.

Reactions: Road

flyfisher117

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Idaho
First Name
John
Last Name
Hansen
Member #

I love my aero press. Might need a little extra water to clean but it's super easy to use and get a good cup of coffee. Never tried a pour over. So many mentions makes me feel like I need one.

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

I love my French Press, but while traveling in Brazil a couple of weeks ago, they showed me how they use the old way of brewing coffee by the "pour over" method. Just take a couple teaspons and put into the filter and then pour hot water over the coffee. Really very good.

So I came home and researched what I could buy to do this type of coffee since I brought back 7 -1lb bags of Brazilian coffee. I found this...

Coffee Gator Travel Cup

It is amazing plus while traveling all I need is coffee and hot water. The cup is very well made and is lined with copper so it keeps coffee hot for about 4 hours. The lid is air tight. And it is better than the Yeti cups in that it has an extra flapper on the top so that you can keep it closed to sip, open it to drink. Then it comes with its own stainless steel reusable filter. Works with all types of coffee and again, all you need is hot water. Very beneficial to how we travel. I actually use it every day to make coffee at the office now. lol

upload_2018-4-18_13-32-4.jpeg

Reactions: JasBec and Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I love my French Press, but while traveling in Brazil a couple of weeks ago, they showed me how they use the old way of brewing coffee by the "pour over" method. Just take a couple teaspons and put into the filter and then pour hot water over the coffee. Really very good.

So I came home and researched what I could buy to do this type of coffee since I brought back 7 -1lb bags of Brazilian coffee. I found this...

Coffee Gator Travel Cup

It is amazing plus while traveling all I need is coffee and hot water. The cup is very well made and is lined with copper so it keeps coffee hot for about 4 hours. The lid is air tight. And it is better than the Yeti cups in that it has an extra flapper on the top so that you can keep it closed to sip, open it to drink. Then it comes with its own stainless steel reusable filter. Works with all types of coffee and again, all you need is hot water. Very beneficial to how we travel. I actually use it every day to make coffee at the office now. lol

View attachment 54235
I ended up getting a Coffee Gator thermal pour-over to try out, based on your recommendation, @theBROFESSOR.

Very handy! I like it more than the French Presses I've had (far easier cleanup) and more even than traditional cowboy coffee in a percolator. I usually camp and travel solo; this serves the same purpose and can be as strong or light as one likes. It is nicely self-contained, perfect for brewing directly into the 17oz thermal cup you're going to drink it from. Best lid I've seen yet on a travel mug. I can stash a full 17oz mug of hot coffee in my pack or saddle bags for a hike or bike ride.

Now that I've shown my kid how cool it is and how well it works, I'm probably going to have to get another one.

AZBubs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BHP
We keep it simple and inexpensive, besides, a fancy pot doesn’t make it taste better and my coffee could care less what kind of cup it’s poured into. We spend the money on good “roasted the day we buy it coffee” from a mom and pop shop, OR Boneshaker from Fremont Coffee Company in Seattle when the roaster sends us some, this coffee will put hair on your chest. Our pot is one we got from Amazon Warehouse and our cups RTIC from a sale they had.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: 64Trvlr

genera_lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno/Tahoe Area
First Name
Trip
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GPV
this is my set up. dont see it changing anytime soon. normally use local beans from any of the little roasters in whatever place i'm in. these are actually some i picked up in japan while there for work. very berry forward and delicious.

otherwise its just:
cheap Porlex hand grinder knock-off from amazon. works pretty well
Aeropress kit and filters
mountain snowmelt stream water
Snowpeak giga burner
GSI mug
another random mug from my kitchen