Coffee Set Ups

• HTML tutorial

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Lol, reading these posts had me rolling - no disrespect. Hell, I love my coffee too! And in fact, I did a tour of duty, working for the coffee giant (Starbucks). I thought, hey with my love of coffee - why not, I live in their backyard. And my god before working for them, I was a drive through / walk-in person - anywhere between 4 to ? times a day. After working for them, I am maybe 1 or 2 times a week (more on the line of - because what I know, and cost) sorry.

But why were the posts cracking me up? Because of how the outdoor industry has changed and changed us. The simplicities and comforts available to us. Nothing wrong with that, I like comfort too, but (for me) I always approach camping, exploring, hiking, etc., with a vintage outlook ;)
I remember camping with my folks (trailer camping) and the good old percolator - though I didn't drink coffee then ;) it is a sweet memory.

Thumbs-up to vegasjeepguy - let me first say, I had my doubts the first time, I tried cowboy coffee. But it is really not bad, I actually like it - no foo-foo fancy equipment, oh I still add some cream. But I also like what it stands for (that's just me). I and a lover of history, back when things were simpler, back when camping really was a way of life, and what they endured and what worked for them, what innovators they were - still stands today, if people want to embrace them.

Please forgive my rambles, this is not a slam or poking fun at anyone - it's just an observation, from someone who really feeling the change of the world ;) ~cheers
Well said. I’ve never had a complaint about my coffee. People are usually happy to have something warm and familiar in their belly.

My current percolator from our trip a few weeks ago.

9A09CCE8-28D7-48CB-BE1F-81690C0C20AC.jpeg

Voodoo 1

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edmonds, WA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Hoskins
Member #

I hear ya.

I always chuckle (inside), when I see or someones ask me - do you have a french press, or can you make espresso? Again, to each their own. What I didn't mention (might have been assumed) my base camp, it's always going to be cowboy coffee. If I'm hiking, it's a thermos of cowboy coffee - if I don't have any with me, well I do have instant (for the trail). I think I mentioned - I like my coffee ;) ~cheers brother

OkieGobi

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lawton, Oklahoma, USA
Member #

Lol, reading these posts had me rolling - no disrespect. Hell, I love my coffee too! And in fact, I did a tour of duty, working for the coffee giant (Starbucks). I thought, hey with my love of coffee - why not, I live in their backyard. And my god before working for them, I was a drive through / walk-in person - anywhere between 4 to ? times a day. After working for them, I am maybe 1 or 2 times a week (more on the line of - because what I know, and cost) sorry.

But why were the posts cracking me up? Because of how the outdoor industry has changed and changed us. The simplicities and comforts available to us. Nothing wrong with that, I like comfort too, but (for me) I always approach camping, exploring, hiking, etc., with a vintage outlook ;)
I remember camping with my folks (trailer camping) and the good old percolator - though I didn't drink coffee then ;) it is a sweet memory.

Thumbs-up to vegasjeepguy - let me first say, I had my doubts the first time, I tried cowboy coffee. But it is really not bad, I actually like it - no foo-foo fancy equipment, oh I still add some cream. But I also like what it stands for (that's just me). I and a lover of history, back when things were simpler, back when camping really was a way of life, and what they endured and what worked for them, what innovators they were - still stands today, if people want to embrace them.

Please forgive my rambles, this is not a slam or poking fun at anyone - it's just an observation, from someone who is really feeling the change of the world ;) ~cheers
Well put. I consider myself a bit of a coffee snob at home, but there's something comforting on the trail about breaking out the percolator and Coleman stove first thing in the morning. Having said that, when I'm backpacking, I'm all about a JetBoil french press... relatively compact, light weight, and fast.

Reactions: Voodoo 1

TRT87

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tennies
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
I love my coffee, or as we call it where I am from Swedish Gasoline!

I use a simple pour over set up for my coffee.

What do you use?
To answer your first question, french press :) and I always fill it with Black Rifle Coffee. If you haven't heard of BRCC check out their retail managers story below:

I was also thinking about picking up one of these for backpacking:

Thanks for an awesome thread!

- Tyler

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

For me it's the Java Press with SS filter, Hand grinder, and Black Rifle Coffee Co., Murdered Out whole bean.
I've been a member of BRCC since it opened practically and have always enjoyed all their coffees. Murdered Out, CAF, and Gunship are my favs......

Reactions: 64Trvlr and TRT87

dump

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lebanon, TN
Member #

Snowpeak iso-butane stove for the heat, porcelain hand grind on the beans and Aeropress for the squeeze. Beans change from time to time. But, always good with Starbucks Pikes Roast or Black Rifle Just Black

TRT87

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tennies
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Snowpeak iso-butane stove for the heat, porcelain hand grind on the beans and Aeropress for the squeeze. Beans change from time to time. But, always good with Starbucks Pikes Roast or Black Rifle Just Black
I've been interested in the areopress. How long have you been using it?

Just Black is a great roast!

Thanks for sharing,

- Tyler

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
We've done some traveling this winter and I've been collecting the coffee packs from the rooms we've stayed in. I'm going to do some experimenting with just using them as "tea bags" in a pot of water or pouring the hot water through them like the percolator does and see how that turns out.

Reactions: Shpook and H3Coyote