BearWagon

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Arvada, CO, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0MJU
Official Member #3355 here and figured it was time to post up a build thread....a little history first if you care---I've been doing the rock crawling/motorcycling/exploring/camping/gear-head/fabricator thing for many years and have always "lurked" on all the forums but would rather be in the back country or in the garage then anywhere else so my history online is non-existent. But this time I figured if this cheap skate is going to pay for an official badge then let's try something different and be a little more social (don't like it already). After moving from Phx to Colorado a few years back and jumping headfirst into the ADV bike scene the wife began to see the places and pics I've been and expressed some more interest (she has never been a bike girl, but the JK 6-speed! on 35's is her daily driver)...........so I sell the ADV bike and start my expedition rig build.....

The idea was to build an expedition type rig that I could take thru the back-country without much drama and be self contained, I just want to explore and camp wherever/whenever--Overland Bound style (I still have the JK to rock crawl if needed).

First day home--Black Friday (I'm sorry if that offends the snowflakes).......the build begins late November and my intentions are to load it down with the essentialsday1.jpg before the lift so as to know/have the right lift specs the first time around...

Attachments

Reactions: coondawg and dblack

BearWagon

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Arvada, CO, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0MJU
RCI Metalworks for the sliders and front skid plate here in Colorado has some really nice products and customer service is top notch...only my opinion but not disappointed!
grill and skid plate.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: Trailguy and TMP

BearWagon

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Arvada, CO, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0MJU
and the grill was changed for purely aesthetic reasons, and added some LED's to the interior lights

Reactions: TMP

TMP

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Colorado
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Powers
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ONM
Looking good!

BearWagon

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Arvada, CO, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0MJU
More aesthetic's ......painted the emblems (this is were the wife thought I was crazy spray painting a brand new truck....they will never learn) the next day decided they didn't work so removed them all.....also painted the rear bumper as a new one will be a much later addition.

Attachments

BearWagon

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Arvada, CO, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0MJU
Next was the big jump.....CBI Offroad in Idaho posted their Garage Sale at the same time I was only researching RTT and one thing led to another.....and if you buy a tent you have to have a way to secure it, and if I'm driving from Denver to pick it up then.........Nate and the boy's from CBI worked a smokin' deal and before I knew it I was takin' a trip thru the Grand Tetons on my way CBI.....TOP NOTCH PRODUCTs AND SERVICE unmatched, already looking at their winch mounts next!!!CBI.jpg

BearWagon

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Arvada, CO, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0MJU
As mentioned the lift and tires/wheels will be last so as to accommodate the weight of the build.....Powertank utilizing the RCI Hi-lift jack brackets (need to slightly enlarge the powertank bracket to fit) and fab'd my own rotopax bracket to carry an additional few gallons....

Attachments

BearWagon

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Arvada, CO, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0MJU
latest is the usb/cig power charger outlet as I have an LED light in tent and needed power when the truck was off...ran power off the battery to a switch inside the Tacoma's bed boxusb.jpg so as to not be "on" all the time...

BearWagon

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Arvada, CO, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0MJU
And that's the latest as of 02-15...

...heading to Moab this weekend (Fri thru Monday) if anyone is in the area keep me posted!

BearWagon

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Arvada, CO, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0MJU
Looks like a fun build. Any impressions you have about your bed rack/RTT setup after using in MOAB? Walt
Walt,
Well the Moab trip wasn't all I had hoped as it rained all weekend, which seriously limited my trail selections when running a stock lift and solo. The weight of the gear/rack/RTT is a bit much for a stock rig as the shocks do bottom out on the trail and you hit the receiver hitch quite a bit ... but I expected it. As I am building this as an expedition rig (and not rock crawler) it worked great on everything I thru at it this time and the rack/RTT was never an issue, the future lift/tires/wheels will change everything for the better I'm sure. And I like this particular rack as it allows plenty of room in the bed for everything else. Overall can't wait to head back to Moab for more!
Moab1.jpeg

Overlandllama

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Orion
Last Name
Walther
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0CKJ
Got it, thanks for the info. I've had similar experiences with mine... although my rig is infintile for overlanding as it's still completely stock. I've been struggling with the decision to go with the bed rack or a shell/ rack. Then it's issue of weight as you mentioned. Would be straightforward enough to have a leaf pack built but I won't always be carrying all of that gear. So, maybe just get a trailer? Will have to make the decision soon. Anyway, is there a cover to work with your bed rack? I've seen some with covers... That might work alright. Thanks, Walt