US East CNY / WNY / Finger Lakes Coffee & Rigs

• HTML tutorial

RPMOverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Penn Yan, NY
Member #

Looking ahead to August and sticking to weekends, I have the 21st and 22nd open.
I'm available these dates.
Probably not for the Sugar Hill on a weekday. But can try. I live close by but didn't know how much driving you can accomplish there?
Also received my 1st Purple Lizard map...Cool!

jordan04gx

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chittenango, NY
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2NFZ
Greetings. I'm in CNY near Syracuse. OB used to be more active in this area, but it has been quiet for a long time. I've been watching the forums here to see if any thing was moving. Just found this post. I've "followed" several of the posters in this thread so that if you try to create a plan, I'll have a better chance of seeing it. I'm game for visiting state forests, driving to meet-greets, and have some access to natural event space (20-40 rigs, and kayak access). I enjoy camping more than off-roading, and I don't really go out of my way to look for off-roading in NY state. When I joined OB years ago I was in an XJ, but these days I roll in a GX470 (pinkies up!). I'm game to come out, and I prioritize getting out whenever I can, Hope to see some of you soon.

Reactions: TOY4RNR and Kent R

jordan04gx

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chittenango, NY
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2NFZ
Is anyone interested in joining me for a weekday scouting trip to Sugar Hill State Forest (Just west of Watkins Glen). The goal would be to pick a possible route for the July or August meetup.
Anyone who knows the area that can suggest roads to try? or who wants to lead?

I have a couple of tentative GaiaGPS routes
Hi John, I'm game. Could probably head west from my place and join you before going south. Bit a of a trek for a day trip, but scouting that area has been on my list for a while now. I have scouted a lot of places in this region, but I have not been to Sugar Hill yet. So unfortunately, I can't offer a lot of inside knowledge.

Reactions: TOY4RNR

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Greetings. I'm in CNY near Syracuse. OB used to be more active in this area, but it has been quiet for a long time. I've been watching the forums here to see if any thing was moving. Just found this post. I've "followed" several of the posters in this thread so that if you try to create a plan, I'll have a better chance of seeing it. I'm game for visiting state forests, driving to meet-greets, and have some access to natural event space (20-40 rigs, and kayak access). I enjoy camping more than off-roading, and I don't really go out of my way to look for off-roading in NY state. When I joined OB years ago I was in an XJ, but these days I roll in a GX470 (pinkies up!). I'm game to come out, and I prioritize getting out whenever I can, Hope to see some of you soon.
@OVRLNDER is your closest Member Representative but we are always looking to expand the Member Representatives in your area. Just to keep members updated with local info, and pass along local info to the Regional Director.

If anyone is interested contact the East Regional Director @Nomadik Nova or me @Kent R.

TOY4RNR

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Canandaigua, NY, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larkin
Member #

Hi John, I'm game. Could probably head west from my place and join you before going south. Bit a of a trek for a day trip, but scouting that area has been on my list for a while now. I have scouted a lot of places in this region, but I have not been to Sugar Hill yet. So unfortunately, I can't offer a lot of inside knowledge.
We are camping in the area tomorrow through Tuesday. We may do some scouting then. You would be welcome to join us!

Reactions: Udy2554

Udy2554

Rank III

Contributor III

Naples, NY
First Name
John
Last Name
Udovich
Member #

We are camping in the area tomorrow through Tuesday. We may do some scouting then. You would be welcome to join us!
I’m in Naples! Never been to Sugar Hill! I’m on-call for AC service this weekend, but I might be willing to shoot that way for a couple/few hours!

I’ll check in here a bit later today!

OVRLAND

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic III

Finger Lakes
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Rockwell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2QXK
Is anyone interested in joining me for a weekday scouting trip to Sugar Hill State Forest (Just west of Watkins Glen). The goal would be to pick a possible route for the July or August meetup.
Anyone who knows the area that can suggest roads to try? or who wants to lead?

I have a couple of tentative GaiaGPS routes
Let me check my schedule, I might be available towards the end of July or any of August.

TOY4RNR

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Canandaigua, NY, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larkin
Member #

We are scouting tomorrow, in the Sugar Hill area. Leaving Lake Cinamon around 11 am. Nickels Bbq at 4 pm.

Happy for company.

TonyC

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rochester, NY
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Correa
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2PTJ
Service Branch
USAF, National Guard
Doing a Jeep Jamboree that weekend - Coal Mountain PA. It's at AOAA Trails. I'll get what I can for maybe another weekend.

TOY4RNR

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Canandaigua, NY, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larkin
Member #

Udy and I had a blast running trails on Saturday! We managed to get good and muddy, without getting stuck or breaking anything. The Sugar Hill State Forest is a wonderful place to explore.

I'll try and put another of these trips together before snow flies. Any location suggestions?!

Also planning on a Rigs & Coffee for August 29th. Does that work for folks?

Last edited:

TonyC

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Rochester, NY
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Correa
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2PTJ
Service Branch
USAF, National Guard
August 29 is good for Tony and Terry. Same place or are we looking for a different location?

Udy2554

Rank III

Contributor III

Naples, NY
First Name
John
Last Name
Udovich
Member #

Yes…an absolute blast!

John really put the effort in! Hours of good wheeling! I wish I coulda spent more time! I’d be up for more of the same! After hours at camp is also something I look forward to!

Btw, I got the valence off today! And a new inner fender is on the way! The tire burned most of it away on the way home!

Thanks for the awesome day out!

(Still need to wash the truck, AND vacuum the dust out of the interior!)

Reactions: TOY4RNR

TOY4RNR

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Canandaigua, NY, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larkin
Member #

I am creating an event for Rigs & Coffee On 8/29. It will be in Naples, NY. 10am at the Redwood Restaurant. Trails after, if anyone is interested!

Be on the lookout for the post!

TOY4RNR

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Canandaigua, NY, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larkin
Member #

I'll be in Bald Eagle State Forest PA November 12 to 16th. Anyone up for some cold weather camping and running some of the 4x4 High Clearance trails?!