Clean or dirty

• HTML tutorial

HEYElliott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Markham, Ontario, Canada
Member #

I enjoy keeping my vehicle dirty on the outside so people can tell that the offroad tires arent for nothing..
Today I washed my 4runner and BOY does it look good clean.

What do you prefer and why?

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

Yes letting people know you off-road by leaving the dirt gives you a sense of pride but who cares if they think you off-road or not. Cleaning is imperative to maintaining the longevity of many parts of your rig. Especially the mechanical parts, also if you live in northern areas( or places that snow frequently) and I am speaking from experience in places such like Washington they throw a salt/dirt combo all over every road they can. So washing the undercarriage is very important as this salt combo causes components to rust very quickly if not taken care of.

Reactions: Craig M

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Like my Dad always told me, “Take care of your stuff....and your stuff will take care of you!”

Reactions: Craig M

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

Things can’t get dirty around my wife. Lol. I had to convcince her that after we get back from a trip I need To leave my rig dirty for 2 days so that people around town won’t call me a Mall Crawler. She reluctantly agreed. After the 2 days then I lean the little girl up really good.

Living in a city of 3 universities there are so many college boys who drive jacked up 4 wheel drives that their daddy gave them that have never been off pavement I had to do something to not be associated with them. Lol.

I agree that cleaner is better. But those of us who actually USE our rigs for what they are for must do what we can to distance ourselves from those who have show rigs. Lol

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Mine gets pressure washed occasionally but that’s it. Mostly in the winter and all I mainly care about is the undercarriage.

That said I prefer it dirty since it does a nice job of hiding all the pinstripes haha.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I never washed my Ranger in the 11 years I had it, nor the F150. The WRX got washed the first couple of years, but not the next dozen. The Outback maybe three times in 8 years, and the 4Runner not at all since I bought it. I don’t do mud, though, and we get plenty of rain to wash it down.

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

I like to clean our rig once a month or so. I alternate detailing the inside and detailing the outside. Which means I end up washing it about once every 8-10 weeks.

But I had crazy amounts of work this summer, so I have washed the rig a whopping 1 time. I really like keeping the rig clean and tidy. ESP keeping stuff inside locked down and neat. But when life gets crazy it’s not always possible.

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I clean my truck relatively soon after we get back. Usually within that week. Pressure wash then hit with the foam cannon. Usually wax every other month. Interior gets detailed whenever it seems like it needs it. I also carry a small bottle of my interiors cleaning spray and a microfiber towel on me so that on trips I can do a quick wipe down if needed on the areas that get dusty ( usually the dash, center console and doors).

Also this reminds me I need to go wash my truck lol.

bawesomfels

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Phoenix, AZ
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Ockenfels
Member #

Service Branch
Army
After I go out I'll let the truck show off it's dirt for about a week then I'll take the time to wash it up. Usually I'll just hose it down then take it through a cheap gas station car wash. Interior gets deep cleaned whenever I start to sneeze after entering the vehicle.

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Things can’t get dirty around my wife. Lol. I had to convcince her that after we get back from a trip I need To leave my rig dirty for 2 days so that people around town won’t call me a Mall Crawler. She reluctantly agreed. After the 2 days then I lean the little girl up really good.

Living in a city of 3 universities there are so many college boys who drive jacked up 4 wheel drives that their daddy gave them that have never been off pavement I had to do something to not be associated with them. Lol.

I agree that cleaner is better. But those of us who actually USE our rigs for what they are for must do what we can to distance ourselves from those who have show rigs. Lol
I agree with you, in Atlanta ga someone put on a 4x4 show and a lot of mall crawlers were the and trucks that are for the show room. I asked if I could park my 03 Rubicon with them. Rubi got a lot of looks and praise but I was given a lot of dirty looks. I trained two days before I took it down the power line trail, you just have to love ga red mud/ clay.

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I've never washed my rigs since building the cabin. We haul water so I won't waste it on rigs, and if I washed it down in a town, it'd be filthy by the time I got it home. I did notice the shrubbery scraped off a good amount of mud on a narrow ridge ride this weekend though. When the snow flies, that usually cleans them up rather well.

I do wipe down the interior and vac the dog hair after being on the trail, can't stand the feeling of a dirty steering wheel.

ILLFOZZ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego
Member #

Clean unless I'm on a trail/camping. Subaru paint is so soft that it's a real pain to keep in great shape, especially if you use the rig as intended so my vote is for clean unless on a trail/camping plus or minus a couple days on either side lol

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
I like my car dirty but at the same time clean lol the inside is always pretty clean and vacuumed but we will go a few weeks with mud and debris on it but then I have to break down and wash it [emoji12]

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I enjoy keeping my vehicle dirty on the outside so people can tell that the offroad tires arent for nothing..
Today I washed my 4runner and BOY does it look good clean.

What do you prefer and why?
Clean, though I'm not obsessive about it. For me it's just to protect the paint. I mean, trail damage is trail damage (ie trail 'pin-striping' is ok, and I have a lot of it), but if you neglect your vehicle you will only hasten the deterioration of the paint, leading to other issues like rust. Keep in mind, the paint on your exterior is not just for looks.

IMO, driving around with mud on your rig from a trip you took weeks ago is kind of a poser move.. :p Either that, or it's evidence you don't respect or take care of your gear. :)

Anyone who looks closely at my Jeep (and understands these things) will know it's used offroad. Look at the tire sidewalls (I don't use the shiny stuff on it), the 'pinstriping', the wheel lips, the tailpipe even! lol

Last edited:

Cpyonker

Rank III

Advocate II

I try to keep mine clean.
But I’m a working high school student so studies and work takes precedence over cleaning. It’s ALWAYS cleaned after wheeling, I leave it dirty for 4 days MAX.

Mine tends too always have mud on it. But I work on a farm down a dirt road, and we get a lot of rain.