Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Ive seen goose gear and some others on you tube , i think this is an American idea steming from the pioneers i am going to build one. And would like some ideas. So any pictures would be appreciated BNT

Travelatomoverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Prince George, BC, Canada
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Riley
Member #

Ive seen goose gear and some others on you tube , i think this is an American idea steming from the pioneers i am going to build one. And would like some ideas. So any pictures would be appreciated BNT
Hey blackntan!

I am also thinking about building a wooden Chuck box. There seams to be quite a wide variety of ideas and designs just YouTube "chuck box" and hundreds come up!

I like the design of the Grubby Two Chuck box, a company called blue sky kitchens makes and sells them in the US but wouldn't be too difficult to construct something similar in a home workshop. One design feature I particularly like is that it's basically two chuck box's one for cooking supplies and the other a washing up + storage box with a connecting leaf that spans the two box's for lots of countertop space.

Here's their website: http://www.blueskykitchen.com/Grubby_Two.html

Another great little chick box idea came from the American outdoor equipment store REI's blog "chuck box build". I like how simple it is but how functional it could be with room for your own minor adjustments to suit your specific needs or wants.

Here's the website:
http://blog.rei.com/camp/how-to-build-your-own-camp-kitchen-chuck-box/

So I am still in the thinking stage drawing up and coming up with something to build but hope this gives you as much inspiration as it did me. Just to note I have found most people using 1/2" or 1" plywood making quite large box's that when fully loaded could potentially weigh a ton! A frame with thin 1/4" (or thinner but concerned about strength) plywood sides I think is the way to go.

For now I am using a 52.9L Plano case to store my camp kitchen in and seems to do the trick.

Btw I'm from Co.Cork Ireland but have been living in Canada for the last 3 years, what part of the UK are you from? I have family all over England and Scotland.

Over and out, Adam

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Hey blackntan!

I am also thinking about building a wooden Chuck box. There seams to be quite a wide variety of ideas and designs just YouTube "chuck box" and hundreds come up!

I like the design of the Grubby Two Chuck box, a company called blue sky kitchens makes and sells them in the US but wouldn't be too difficult to construct something similar in a home workshop. One design feature I particularly like is that it's basically two chuck box's one for cooking supplies and the other a washing up + storage box with a connecting leaf that spans the two box's for lots of countertop space.

Here's their website: http://www.blueskykitchen.com/Grubby_Two.html

Another great little chick box idea came from the American outdoor equipment store REI's blog "chuck box build". I like how simple it is but how functional it could be with room for your own minor adjustments to suit your specific needs or wants.

Here's the website:
http://blog.rei.com/camp/how-to-build-your-own-camp-kitchen-chuck-box/

So I am still in the thinking stage drawing up and coming up with something to build but hope this gives you as much inspiration as it did me. Just to note I have found most people using 1/2" or 1" plywood making quite large box's that when fully loaded could potentially weigh a ton! A frame with thin 1/4" (or thinner but concerned about strength) plywood sides I think is the way to go.

For now I am using a 52.9L Plano case to store my camp kitchen in and seems to do the trick.

Btw I'm from Co.Cork Ireland but have been living in Canada for the last 3 years, what part of the UK are you from? I have family all over England and Scotland.

Over and out, Adam

Many thanks for a very informative reply , i am from n west england a little fishing village some call the capital of ireland !!! I was over ireland 2015 flying visit but its on my list to take my pickup over and tour asap , back to the chuck B , I Picked up a ply set of draws on my travels and am thinking of coverting them into or part of my chuckB .
Ive seen the youtube ideas some good some over the top but Some great ideas for storare etc. I will post pictures of the draws as they are , then as it progresses
Over and out BnT

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

This is much smaller than yours but I like multi purpose items. I use a small cooler to store the cooking tools. You can always dump everything into a bag and fill the cooler with ice if you need to change applications. Probably don't want to do that with a wooden or uninsulated plastic box.

In this little igloo I have 2x propane bottles, bottle top burner, lighter, dish soap, bottle opener, game scissors, spatula, filet knife, flexible cutting board, small regular cutting board, ceramic coated steel cup, small cook pot with lid, medium cook pot, ziplock bags, plastic utensils, olive oil, crab boil, jar of packet condiments, and my spice box.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
This is much smaller than yours but I like multi purpose items. I use a small cooler to store the cooking tools. You can always dump everything into a bag and fill the cooler with ice if you need to change applications. Probably don't want to do that with a wooden or uninsulated plastic box.

In this little igloo I have 2x propane bottles, bottle top burner, lighter, dish soap, bottle opener, game scissors, spatula, filet knife, flexible cutting board, small regular cutting board, ceramic coated steel cup, small cook pot with lid, medium cook pot, ziplock bags, plastic utensils, olive oil, crab boil, jar of packet condiments, and my spice box.

Thanks for taking the time to reply i allso do what you have done , iam going for a more traditional look a wooden CHUCKB that i can throw in for longer trips that i can pull out onto my tail gate

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Thanks for taking the time to reply i allso do what you have done , iam going for a more traditional look a wooden CHUCKB that i can throw in for longer trips that i can pull out onto my tail gate
Oh, then look into military rifle crates. Even if you don't buy one, it is a good sturdy design that can be adapted for hinges on the lid and sliding rails on the bottom.

ElDusto

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Missoula County, Montana, United States
First Name
Dusty
Last Name
S.
Member #

my wife and i are also talking about this..i'm finally going to get a new stove..our old walmart one is finally getting retired and i'd like to put a designated kit in there.im really trying to knock down digging around to try to cook or just chucking stuff in when trying to move out in morning..my box will just rest in back of the commander..and would be accessed when door was open..love to see new ideas

Reactions: Travelatomoverland

Travelatomoverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Adam
Last Name
Riley
Member #

Hi Longshot,

I really like the idea of your spice box. I will definitely have to keep an eye out for a suitable container for my spices. Good idea using the cooler. I like to have a dedicated cooler for drinks and perishables, I use a cheap nd cheerful 45L Coleman cooler that works great.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

The camo box is a locking pencil box from Walmart (vaultz 8.5x5.5x2.5 inch) with metal sides, the little bottles are 0.5 oz glass square shakers from a resturaunt supply store that are about 1.13 inches wide. Add a layer of electrical tape for cushioning and label surface.

Dunco

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Warwick Queensland Autralia
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK4FABX
Ive always wanted to build one but never really got around to it when i was looking for designs i found this design on youtube and he was awesome enough to send me the plans its pretty kool ill attach the file if you want to have a look

Attachments

Travelatomoverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Adam
Last Name
Riley
Member #

Ive always wanted to build one but never really got around to it when i was looking for designs i found this design on youtube and he was awesome enough to send me the plans its pretty kool ill attach the file if you want to have a look

Dunco I've been following your insta for a while now awesome rig set up man!

Yeah that's a nicely designed chuck box for sure and very well laid out clear instructions.

I just wonder how heavy it is without anything in it?

Reactions: Dunco

Dunco

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Warwick Queensland Autralia
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK4FABX
Dunco I've been following your insta for a while now awesome rig set up man!

Yeah that's a nicely designed chuck box for sure and very well laid out clear instructions.

I just wonder how heavy it is without anything in it?

Hahaha good old insta Cheers for the follow mate the old rig is going through some changes at the moment so plenty more to come

The weight is one thing i was thinking about as well i am planing on making one just for the sake of it so i will weight it once its done

Travelatomoverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Adam
Last Name
Riley
Member #

We have a company here doing some nice stuff check out Drifta and there prices are pretty good
I have watched lots of Drifta videos on youtube before, Love the fully kitted camp kitchen trailers! one day i hope to have something similar! They do make a nice quality product and didn't realise their prices are on point too! :)